Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2012, 12:07 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times

Advertisements

most REALTORS are the ones who are helping you out here, not only do they care about their clients but they are taking their free time to help you on this message board. Your former agent made a business decision to stop working with you, which I'm sure she thought through carefully.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2012, 12:42 PM

36 posts, read 105,181 times
I guess i have just experienced a higher percentage of bad realtors. My experience only and like i said, she wasn't one of the scummy ones. While i respect her choice, i don't have to like it and the mess it has put me in. Thankfully she has released us with the exception of 2 homes.

I appreciate all the help here and have never said otherwise, i doubt that the scummy relators i am referring to would even bother to join a site like this other than to solicit clients. So, thank you for you input, i appreciate it.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:16 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
Sometimes a business has to take a hard look as to if some customers are worth it and if not, fire them.

More and more, there are customers that should be fired.

Old 04-14-2012, 04:22 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,404,950 times
The $12,000 that you speak of goes to your agent's broker. How much she gets of that depends on a lot of things - her split with the broker (could be as low as 50/50 or as high as 90/10), whether or not there are any referral fees (could be from 25% to 40% of the $12,000 and she and her broker split what's left), etc. Then there's business expenses that come out of that, fees that are required to be paid to keep your license/be on the MLS, required continuing education courses (for which there is, of course, a charge), fuel expenses not just for the showings she does for you but for the times she drives around and previews properties without a client along, so she's familiar with the market, and a whole lot of other things. Of course, taxes come out before all of those expenses. Behind all that comes living expenses.

So while it looks like a lot to you, when you look at it from the agent's perspective, it's not quite so huge.

Old 04-14-2012, 06:34 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
You have no idea the sacrifices an agent needs to make to be part of the USAA program.
This is irrelevant to consumers. I don't ask about the paycuts doctors take for certain insurance carriers. It is a cost of doing business and it is the MD's job to ensure they are profitable. If the agent makes a business decision to be affiliated with a referral company, then they need to suck it up and deal with the cons of dealing with the relo company. I don't work with relo's because I refuse to give up 40% of my income to them. If I did make the decision to lose 40% of my income, I'm not going to complain about it. I put my big girl panties on and deal with it.

OP, I am stunned that your agent terminated with you and then is refusing to release you from those two houses. She made the business decision to terminate the relationship so she should get nothing.

Old 04-14-2012, 07:27 PM

36 posts, read 105,181 times
Well, she emailed releasing us but apparently the company she works for is not, we were referred to another realtor in the same office, told he would call us in an hour, 5 hours later, zilch. We decided to just call a realtor ourselves. She was very helpful. We can either buckle under the pressure and go with a house we no longer love at a price we know is too high with the ex-realtor or shop around the crap holes we skipped over with her in the first place. Either option potentially leaves us in a house we do not love but at least not in a hotel or trying to rent again.

Of course, we can move location, there are some houses in our second location she did not show us that we wanted to see so tomorrow is OH day. We get to visit the homes she said No to. I cannot believe that the Realtor can release us but the Firm will not and then they don't even follow up on their word. If they don't want to deal with us, release us already ffs!

Old 04-14-2012, 07:43 PM

2,118 posts, read 6,376,611 times
I never quite understood the value of a buyers agent aside from having them help you find listings (which they don't seem to be eager to do any more).

I've used them and felt sort of betrayed they didn't point out some things that should have been pointed out and I've also not used them and had nobody to blame but myself. I don't see why you can't do it yourself. The buyers agent doesn't have any incentive to help you get the lowest price.

Call me old fashioned, I'd rather talk directly to the seller and cut right to the chase but that's not always possible.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:01 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,224,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
This is irrelevant to consumers. I don't ask about the paycuts doctors take for certain insurance carriers. It is a cost of doing business and it is the MD's job to ensure they are profitable. If the agent makes a business decision to be affiliated with a referral company, then they need to suck it up and deal with the cons of dealing with the relo company. I don't work with relo's because I refuse to give up 40% of my income to them. If I did make the decision to lose 40% of my income, I'm not going to complain about it. I put my big girl panties on and deal with it.

OP, I am stunned that your agent terminated with you and then is refusing to release you from those two houses. She made the business decision to terminate the relationship so she should get nothing.
I'm not saying it's right, I was trying to explain to the OP why the agent might have made the decision. 40% might just be the USAA piece, the agent's firm might also take a cut for administration. It's not just the fee, it's the incredibly redundant and unnecessary reporting as well. The last time I was involved with a buyer using their financing it took 7 weeks when Bank of America only allowed my short sale sellers 29 days to close and after 2 extensions, it nearly cost 3 people their livelihoods, while the representatives at USAA just yawned. There are other threads on USAA here, I won't belabor the point.

Old 04-15-2012, 09:07 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by insertname View Post
Well, she emailed releasing us but apparently the company she works for is not, we were referred to another realtor in the same office, told he would call us in an hour, 5 hours later, zilch. We decided to just call a realtor ourselves. She was very helpful. We can either buckle under the pressure and go with a house we no longer love at a price we know is too high with the ex-realtor or shop around the crap holes we skipped over with her in the first place. Either option potentially leaves us in a house we do not love but at least not in a hotel or trying to rent again.

Of course, we can move location, there are some houses in our second location she did not show us that we wanted to see so tomorrow is OH day. We get to visit the homes she said No to. I cannot believe that the Realtor can release us but the Firm will not and then they don't even follow up on their word. If they don't want to deal with us, release us already ffs!
You only need to work with the original firm for houses that the former agent already took you to. These are the homes that they won't release you from (aka they want their commission if you buy a home the original agent took you to.)

For new homes that the original agent never showed you, you can use another agent from another firm that USAA refers you to.

In this case, you can be working with 2 agents. You work with agent from original brokerages(origina agent's firm) for homes you already saw with that agent; you work with new relo referral agent for any home you did not yet see with original agent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate