Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 08:41 AM

333 posts, read 1,991,268 times

Advertisements

My kitchen is painted a yellow gold color..and because we went with an italian theme, we painted our bumpout wall a deep dark purple. I have been on here asking if I should paint it. The majority said yes. My realtor kept telling me not too. The people that have come through it, always comment on how they like it. But, we haven't had hardly any showings recently.

We had a showing yesterday<first one since September 1st> and we received the feedback. The realtor said her buyers loved the house. She said some may have a problem "with the strong decor", but she and her buyers loved it. Unfortunatley the buyers have to sell their house first before they can buy...Argh!!!

So, we are thinking the strong decor she is talking about is the purple wall. So we are just going to paint it. Would my gold be considered a neutral color? Or do I need to tone it down? I don't want to do white, because with three kids and 2 dogs...I would never be able to keep that as crisp as it should look. What are buyers really into colorwise now? I can either paint the whole thing the gold/yellow..or paint everything including the bumpout a different neutral color. I just don't know what to go with..It needs to be warm I think because of the white tile on the floor, white countertops and the white tile that is a backsplash above the stove. I have it on the other side too between the counter top and cabinetry Here is a link to my kitchen picture:

http://i48.photobucket.com/albums/f2...0E0E22E1E3.jpg

Last edited by jenne03; 09-17-2007 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: adding info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 09:15 AM

412 posts, read 1,028,593 times
I had posted as a "Yes" on keeping it previously. But that was without seeing a photo. Now that I see it with the oaks cabinets I would have to side with toning it down a bit. Maybe some thing more in a softer earth tone would compliment that oak. Scary, but a soft red may be a thought as well.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:47 AM

22,974 posts, read 26,999,132 times
I like the yellow, but I would agree to tone down the purple. I would go to a paint store and look at a color wheel or show one of the paint people the yellow that's on the walls to get suggestions for accent colors. You might be able to find this info at Lowes or Depot from Martha Stewart colors or something like that as well.

Old 09-17-2007, 10:19 AM

333 posts, read 1,991,268 times
Yea, I am definitely taking out the purple. I wasn't sure if the yellow/gold was too much. I am debating on painting the whole kitchen a yellow gold..or painting the whole kitchen a different color..just not white. I wasn't sure if the yellow/gold would be in a "neutral" catagory.

We asked our realtors<the main one and assistant> if we should paint it. But, the assistant realtor was adamant about keeping it. But, she has an interior design background and loves color , so I think she was a little biased. I understand a neutral color would appeal to a wider range of people. I know I go into a house and I don't pay attention to the paint because I know I am going to change it anyway. I know when I moved, it doesn't matter what the bedroom colors are because I am going to change them to be what my kids want. The house that I lived in before this one had all pink walls! Even the double foyer was pink...a very light pink ...but pink nonetheless! But we loved the house and location so much, we knew paint was an easy thing to do.

But I know some people can't get past it...soooo do I paint it all gold/yellow or a beigey kind of color?? Thanks!!

Old 09-17-2007, 11:58 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,020,201 times
i would repaint to all one color (a more toned down earthy yellow). In the picture the yellow appears too bright. I didn't notice anything else about the kitchen other than the color.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:09 PM

1,085 posts, read 2,232,742 times
Well, being the jerk that I am, I would have just offered a $30 decorating credit for a can of paint and told them to go have a coke and a smile. But, since you are considering painting it yourself, you could go with the neutrals like, the beiges, sage greens, etc. I agree with surfingatwork that you should do the whole thing one color.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:10 PM

23,861 posts, read 33,529,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
I understand a neutral color would appeal to a wider range of people. I know I go into a house and I don't pay attention to the paint because I know I am going to change it anyway. I know when I moved, it doesn't matter what the bedroom colors are because I am going to change them to be what my kids want. The house that I lived in before this one had all pink walls! Even the double foyer was pink...a very light pink ...but pink nonetheless! But we loved the house and location so much, we knew paint was an easy thing to do.

But I know some people can't get past it...soooo do I paint it all gold/yellow or a beigey kind of color?? Thanks!!
Jenn, the problem is that a lot of us sellers have toned our paint down and are so sick of painting, that something neutral that we can live with while we settle in until we are ready to paint is what I was hoping for as a buyer. If paint is light, I won't have to prime then paint but the darker the paint, the more primer.

Would you happen to have a larger picture with the purple wall also?

Check out the Sherwin Williams color site, main site if my link doesn't work. I have almost the same cabinets and would love to see your kitchen counter to get a better feel of a wall color. I am using a Glidden color called Vanilla latte that compliments the cabinets pretty well. I'd love to use the color on the Sherwin Williams link I left, behind the dining set. I bet that would look fabulous with the cabinets. We used a color similar in our bedroom, then went a tad bit darker on the accent wall. We went with Benjamin Moore in that room.

Old 09-17-2007, 12:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,847,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenne03 View Post
Yea, I am definitely taking out the purple. I wasn't sure if the yellow/gold was too much. I am debating on painting the whole kitchen a yellow gold..or painting the whole kitchen a different color..just not white. I wasn't sure if the yellow/gold would be in a "neutral" catagory.

We asked our realtors<the main one and assistant> if we should paint it. But, the assistant realtor was adamant about keeping it. But, she has an interior design background and loves color , so I think she was a little biased. I understand a neutral color would appeal to a wider range of people. I know I go into a house and I don't pay attention to the paint because I know I am going to change it anyway. I know when I moved, it doesn't matter what the bedroom colors are because I am going to change them to be what my kids want. The house that I lived in before this one had all pink walls! Even the double foyer was pink...a very light pink ...but pink nonetheless! But we loved the house and location so much, we knew paint was an easy thing to do.

There's your problem. Never trust a self-proclaimed interior designer what to do to make a home sale-able. You want to go as NEUTRAL as possible to sell your home, with warm beige colors. Looking at that photo, you may even want to use a beige color on all the walls that pulls out the beige color that separates your floor tile or vinyl (can't tell which it is, but the "grout" color), and paint the walls that color. It's warm, but it won't darken your kitchen too much. Pick a beige on the lighter side, darker than antique white, but lighter than khaki. Dark colors make a room feel smaller, light colors make a room feel larger. The purple makes that bay area look crowded.

Ditch the yellow. There are probably only two good yellow colors for interior walls, and no one knows which ones they are (no offense).

The people who are somewhat serious about your house will start to "visualize" their furniture and accessories in your home. No matter how little it would cost to buy them a can of paint, if their kitchen accessories are red and green, it will clash in their mind. You want to remove as many barriers to buying as possible (within reason).

Old 09-17-2007, 01:19 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,176,790 times
The dark color on the bump out makes that whole area look small and crowded. You definitly need to get a light tone in there.

I can't comment on what color as I don't like gold, never did, never will....but that's just me. If you are in the mood to paint everything, remember that lighter colors will make the whole area look larger. I would try to pick up a tone in your tile. That way, it would even please someone like me.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:08 PM

739 posts, read 2,948,506 times
well- I painted my last kitchen a cobalt blue and white so I like strong colors (luckily our buyers did too) but I agree with magellan- I would complement your backspash color and do the whole thing in that (from teh photo it looks like a greyish/latteish color) I like the latte color and I think most buyers do too. If you don't wnat to do all that I would just extend the yellow. Although, I think it kind of clashes w/ the cabinets a bit. The purple breaks up the space and makes it appear smaller than it probably is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate