Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 12:24 PM

258 posts, read 790,497 times

Advertisements

Is there any way on God's green earth for a poor family with awful or no credit buy a junky old house? Seriously. We're that family and owning a home is about all I want in this world. Can anyone give me any real tips that could help?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2007, 12:39 PM

11,826 posts, read 34,433,423 times
Seller or private financing - clearly you need to work on establishing and maintaining a budget.

Understand that homeownership is more than the monthly payments. There will be trip to the hardware store, calls to service providers, updates and upgrades...budget at leat an additional $300 a month for *things* that pop up.

For example, my thermostat just quit. My neighbors gutters have a huge hole - water pours through...water heaters need replaced, dishwashers fail, cauling needs to be replaced......plan for it, and it will be okay.

Old 09-17-2007, 02:17 PM

263 posts, read 1,097,388 times
Not a stupid question...
The only thing I can suggest is checking the HUD website for your location. Try this link as a jump start, Homes and Communities - U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

Perhaps you could also look into a lease option (aka, rent-to-own) property. Just be sure to read all documents before signing and do your due diligence if you decide to go this route. Good luck!

Old 09-17-2007, 04:21 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,666,290 times
There are only 4 ways that I know...

Rent / Lease with option to buy... be very careful to understand EXACTLY what the option says.

Seller Carry Back... find someone that owns a home outright and is willing to sell on time.

Buy a lot and start with a Mobile Home... can be a very low cost option

Someone you know gives you a home outright or in a will.

Don't give up... I bought my first home with my brother... we were both in school and the place was about to be condemned... we worked out a deal with the owner and had about 10 days to "Clean" the place up enough to avoid condemnation.

Old 09-17-2007, 05:49 PM

22,974 posts, read 27,008,828 times
I would look into habitat for humanity or another sweat equity program. I know there are a few in CA and years ago my brother inlaw built one.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:26 PM

510 posts, read 3,201,306 times
Many here can advise you of some "loopholes" that are perfectly legal within the credit reporting system of repairing credit.

However, let's first consider if you can truly afford a payment on a house. Lenders will lend up to 50% of your total debt compared to your income. If you're comfortable with it, please tell me the monthly gross (before taxes) income of anyone who will be on the loan. In addition tell me the total monthly debt payments that would show on your credit report (credit cards, student loans, car loans, installment loans, etc..)

From those numbers, I can give you an fair estimate of how much house you can buy once you improve your credit. This will at least give you an idea of owning a home where you live is even possible with great credit. At least in the traditional sense of lending, as there are always government programs out there which can get you into a house for a lower than traditional payment.

As far as the credit loopholes go, legally the 3 bureaus have to investigate a dispute within 30 days. If they don't get proof that your dispute is inaccurate, the item will change in your favor. This can even be used to make items completely disappear. If you're interested in more info on this let me know... or look through some earlier posts I've made on this forum.

Old 09-17-2007, 08:38 PM

982 posts, read 3,486,911 times
Not a stupid question at all. You could do a rent to own, or look for a property that the seller is willing to finance. I think someone mentioned checking out HUDs website. You may also want to check with your county's housing department. In the county I live in, there are programs that teach people in your situation the steps to take to become home owners.

Old 09-17-2007, 09:51 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,842,169 times
You have been given some very good tips on things to look into. Also, let's define for no credit, maybe you can start to establish some. Get a credit card, charge a little on it, and then make the payments. don't just pay it off, make payments. then pay it off after about 6 months. Talk to a lender and see how much money you do have and what you need to do to fix your credit or establish credit. And work on that as well.

Old 09-18-2007, 08:20 AM

2,210 posts, read 7,026,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
You have been given some very good tips on things to look into. Also, let's define for no credit, maybe you can start to establish some. Get a credit card, charge a little on it, and then make the payments. don't just pay it off, make payments. then pay it off after about 6 months. Talk to a lender and see how much money you do have and what you need to do to fix your credit or establish credit. And work on that as well.
I absolutely cannot agree with that advice, to tell a person with bad credit and low income to make payments on a credit card - with their ridiculous interest rates. That is the trap that low income families fell into that destroyed their credit in the first place.
Lenders aren't the first people to talk to either. Lenders are commissioned salespeople whose goal is to get people to borrow money, to "make a sale", not independant financial advisors working in their clients best interest.

I second those above who mentioned HUD, Habitat for Humanity and local non profits that can look at his/her income and finances and assist in putting together a solid budget and financial plan focussed on a specific goal. What the poster needs is real workable and long lasting advice.

The whole "work-around to get someone into a home" deal of dodgy mortgage lending, credit manipulation and squeezing incomes is what started the whole subprime mess in the first place. Time to go back to good old fashioned saving money, living within means, buying what people can actually afford financial values and common sense.

Tennessee

I looked at some of your past posts, your situation is pretty dire, $640 Social Security, can't afford $1,000 rent, extremely ill and on hospice. I wish you well and hope you find help. I don't think homeownership is on the cards. You need to go to your local town or county to get help with affordable housing. You said you live in California and want to move to Tennessee, Tennessee would be much cheaper to live in though I'm not sure how you will get there. Please go to your local authority for assitance, you need it.

Last edited by AnthonyB; 09-18-2007 at 08:40 AM..

Old 09-18-2007, 08:41 AM

1,038 posts, read 3,997,041 times
Not stupid at all! From your name I assume you're in TN. Try the state housing authority, as well. Here's the link:
Tennessee Housing Development Agency (THDA)
Many of these programs are for lower income families and they'll require you to go through some finance training, develop a budget, stick with it. Are there any major developments being built in your area? In our state, if the development is large enough a percentage of the homes must be identified as affordable housing. A lottery is held to determine, from qualified applicants (get thee credit in order because you must be preapproved by the lender). Call both the towns and counties where these developments are being planned.
Best of Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate