Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2012, 09:17 PM

33 posts, read 543,154 times

Advertisements

I'm thinking of making a significant investment. I keep crunching the numbers for this property with very conservative assumptions and I just cannot come up with many unfavorable long term scenarios(maybe I lack a bit on the practical side of things). I need some perspective from someone with experience. I have my agent, lawyer, and contractor lined up-I just have to pull the trigger.

Description: It's a 3 unit multi-family home that's a few blocks from a major University. It's kinda on the edge on the most desirable area for students but it's ok and relatively safe. The house is currently rented by a group of 7 students. They currently pay $2500/month+all utilities. I viewed property once and it was in working order but needed repairs.

Target Tenant: Undergrad/Grad students

List Price: 230k
My Estimated offer: 210k
Downpayment(25%): 55k
Closing Costs and Fees: 15k
Rehabbing Costs: 15k - Actually, I'm not sure, going with contractor soon to get an estimate

Assumed On-going Annual Costs:
Taxes: 2k
Insurance: 2k
Property Management(maybe):3k
Mortgage Payments: 10K
Vacancy: 1k
Other: 2k
TOTAL: 20k

Total Rent Collected(@2500/month): 30k

Net Cashflow: +$10,000

ALL the key metrics are significantly positive EVEN if I consider them at the listed price.
-Cap Rate
-Break Even Ratio
-Payback Ratio
-Operating Expense Ratio
-Debt to coverage ratio
-IRR
...etc

Someone help. I MUST be missing something. The main risk as I see it, is not being able to get student tenants. I would suffer a loss of 20k a year. But, demand in the area is relatively stable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2012, 08:47 AM

11,826 posts, read 34,430,278 times
What's the address? I will buy it.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:07 AM

Old 04-28-2012, 09:11 AM

3,599 posts, read 6,782,668 times
Lots of risk renting to college students. That $10k assumed profit can easily turn into 2 months with no rents and 5-10k in damages by disallowed pets, heavy drinking. Holes in the wall.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:23 AM

I would try to take steps to minimize those risks such as getting parents to cosign.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:46 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,307,357 times
Make the lease an annual one and allow for sub-letting in the summer. It sounds like the place my son is going to rent in Berkeley next year. I'm with 2bindenver on this one.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:36 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
I think you're undercounting vacancy and repairs. A conservative allocation would set those as 10% each, annually.

And, for student properties, there is also a high seasonality factor which could leave you with vacancies during the summer, unless it's in an area that also is desireable to non-students. For example, near UT Austin, over half the condos near UT sit vacant all summer, or lease for "summer rates" to temporary renters.

Turnover is the most expensive event for landlords. You're buying a 3-unit property with a higher propensity for turnover than a normal single family home in the suburbs attending good schools. Students are also harder on properties, and you have the hassle factor of their (often) over-involved parents.

I'd talk to an experienced property manager in the area who would be a candidate manager and see if they have any insight or advice.

FWIW, I wouldn't personally buy it because the numbers don't beat what we can achieve with a single-family home by enough to offset the risk.

Good luck,

Steve

Old 04-28-2012, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
I think you're undercounting vacancy and repairs. A conservative allocation would set those as 10% each, annually.

And, for student properties, there is also a high seasonality factor which could leave you with vacancies during the summer, unless it's in an area that also is desireable to non-students. For example, near UT Austin, over half the condos near UT sit vacant all summer, or lease for "summer rates" to temporary renters.

Turnover is the most expensive event for landlords. You're buying a 3-unit property with a higher propensity for turnover than a normal single family home in the suburbs attending good schools. Students are also harder on properties, and you have the hassle factor of their (often) over-involved parents.

I'd talk to an experienced property manager in the area who would be a candidate manager and see if they have any insight or advice.

Steve

Thanks Steve, I will try running with those more conservative assumptions. I'm actually going to see the property soon with the owner of a contracting/rental management company owner. Very eager to get his insights.

Quote:
FWIW, I wouldn't personally buy it because the numbers don't beat what we can achieve with a single-family home by enough to offset the risk.
Point taken.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:51 AM

Quote:
10% of revenue for repairs?

Old 04-28-2012, 11:58 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,053,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jscm86 View Post
10% of revenue for repairs?
10% of gross rents.

Think about a house renting for $1,500/mo. If it turns over and you lose 1 month to vacancy, that $1,800 right there, over 10%. If it happens 4 of 5 years, it's going to be over 10%. If you get lucky and have no turnover, you got lucky. But there isn't a line item on a spreadsheet analysis for "Luck". I always assume the worst.

Also, $1,800 annually for repairs and maintenance gets chewed up pretty quickly some years. Other, you get lucky, but over 5 to 10 years, 8% to 12% of gross rent should be expected unless you live near and do your own repairs, in which case you could shave a little off.

Steve
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate