Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2012, 07:25 AM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times

Advertisements

Well, right now, in our area, buyers are finding that if they don't move quickly (and don't have that pre-approval letter to submit with the offer), the houses they like are gone before they can even get an offer in.

More and more agents are requiring pre-approval letters up front for a couple of reasons. One, people who are reluctant or refuse to give one are statistically a LOT likelier to either (a) not be able to purchase at all or (b) just be lookyloos who want to use your time because they're bored or (c) are going to be enormous PITAs about other things over the course of the process, and are more likely as a result to crash the deal somewhere along the way, or some combination of the above. This entirely aside from security issues - the more articles you see about agents raped, assaulted, and killed because of taking buyers out who no one had checked out but who "said" they could buy the property, the less likely you are to want to do that.

Since getting pre-approved is the very first step along the road to purchasing a house, someone who drags their feet and/or gets in a snit if asked to do that before looking at houses does raise all sorts of red flags, as a result.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2012, 09:47 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,104,724 times
I think the way to approach it is to present it as an offer rather than a demand. For example if I get a sign call I will first tell them the price of the house and ask if that is in their price range. If they are not already working with another agent I will go unlock the door for them. While there I will ask if they need a good lender. That conversation usually leads into loans and what you need to do ahead of time. Considering that a prequal doesn't mean a whole lot anyway, why would I demand one before even meeting with them? People really interested in buying a house that need a loan usually want to meet with a lender anyhow. Iv' never had a potential buyer that refused to get in touch with one.

Out of curiosity, what do you guys do with cash buyers, ask to see their bank statements?

Old 05-03-2012, 04:04 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nocontengencies View Post

Out of curiosity, what do you guys do with cash buyers, ask to see their bank statements?
No I don't ask for it up front but I do tell them to go ahead and get one because they'll need it for the offer. On any buyer I don't run out to show buyers my listings even when they are pre-qualified. I make them meet me in the office and we discuss agency then we go look at the home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate