Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 09:23 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times

Advertisements

In CA you have to disclose a death in the house for any reason in the past 3 years (maybe 5, I'm brain dead tonight)...unless they died of AIDS.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2012, 10:36 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rakin View Post
are you concerned about buying or selling a house with a death ?
buying....

Old 05-03-2012, 06:11 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Was it a violent death or natural causes ? A murder will affect the price of the home for quite a few years. Eventually all the neighbors move away and it's not a factor.

I've wondered if you buy a murder / suicide home where it was disclosed, I would assume you would not have to disclose it on subsequent sales. I need to ask that question here.

A natural death is not a big deal. I'd suspect many older homes have had deaths that do not need to be disclosed from years ago.

Old 05-03-2012, 08:35 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
You could also google "[state] code" and look for a section about stigmatized properties or disclosure laws.

Also, another note about Idaho. For quite a few years now, there has been a real estate continuing education instructor who has been teaching this incorrectly. He teaches that it is a disclosure state. (And yes, we have pointed this out to the real estate commission, who confirmed that we are correct, but apparantly they don't care enough to correct him). So if you asked 100 Idaho real estate agents, I would bet that at least 75 of them would tell you this information legally has to be disclosed. So even though the seller doesn't have to disclose it, it is very likely that they may anyway because their agent told them they have to. Just an FYI.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:37 AM

3,720 posts, read 9,997,648 times
Our Seller Property Questionnaire specifically asks if there was a death of an occupant on the property in the last 3 years.

It is a big deal to many of the religions/cultures here. A death on the property for any reason would rule out a purchase for them.

Old 05-03-2012, 09:41 AM

609 posts, read 2,243,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lacerta View Post
I can't speak to the other states you asked about, but I can for Idaho.

The short answer is no, it doesn't have to be disclosed.

The longer answer is that even if a buyer asks the real estate agent or the seller the question, the real estate agent cannot legally answer even if they know the answer without permission (I think it has to be written permission, but not sure of that) from the seller, and the seller can just flat out refuse to answer. They can't lie, but they can say "I will not answer that", or "I don't have to disclose that information".

The legal reference is Idaho Statutes
And when a sellers says "I will not answer that" the buyer gets his answer isn't it?

Old 05-03-2012, 09:45 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigerclaws View Post
And when a sellers says "I will not answer that" the buyer gets his answer isn't it?
Absolutely, it is at least a very strong hint that they should look a little deeper if it is important to them.

Old 05-04-2012, 01:19 PM

1,102 posts, read 1,155,395 times
Thank you all for the information. I love older restored homes....so a death from natural causes is not an issue for me...but violient death, suicide...or violent crime is an issue.

Old 05-05-2012, 05:45 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by noihoforus View Post
Thank you all for the information. I love older restored homes....so a death from natural causes is not an issue for me...but violent death, suicide...or violent crime is an issue.
If a home has changed hands 3+ times and a death or suicide happened 10+ years ago, you would probably not know if something happened inside a home.

Old 05-05-2012, 06:24 AM

675 posts, read 1,816,404 times
Contact the Township Office, you can request for those events with the house. It's "Right-To-Know" and the township might provide you the public record about the house. Fees may apply.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate