Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2012, 08:17 AM

364 posts, read 1,080,269 times

Advertisements

How many homes did you view before finding the one? Seems like I've been looking at quite a bit, but still find issues that make me think twice. Maybe I'm just picky....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2012, 08:44 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
40 plus...
Could have seen more & waited longer but that right "fire sale" came up.

Old 04-30-2012, 08:55 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,808,716 times
1st house - about 7 (I had few to choose from because I was looking for an assumable mortgage, back in 1991. But I found a nice home.)

2nd house - 8 (limited supply based on our being at the bottom of the price point for what we wanted. But we found a perfect home.)

3rd house - about 50. (Now husband is really involved and we have more money, more choices. Ended up spending more than we intended, but bought a gorgeous home.)

4th house - 2 new build communities in an out of state city. (Husband fell in love. Frankly, I preferred to rent, but not so much that I can say no to him. He doesn't really want to move away from AZ anyway.)

Old 04-30-2012, 09:10 AM

10,049 posts, read 18,056,896 times
1st house - about 4 or 5. The market was tight and most things sold pretty quickly. As soon as I walked into the house that I ended up buying, I saw 20+ feet of uninterrupted wall space and that was a HUGE selling point -- I found out after moving to New Hampshire that most houses here have baseboard heat, which I HATE because it takes up wall space that I desperately need (I have literally dozens of bookcases). The other houses I saw, I just could not picture my "stuff" in their space. I've lived here for 9 years now and it's been good.

2nd house (the one I'm buying now) -- I wasn't planning to buy as I am fine with my current house, but I was browsing at realtor.com for fun and saw a house that had just come on the market (very slow market, although also not very many foreclosures etc. and prices haven't fallen that much -- houses just take longer to sell). That was back in October '11. I knew sales were slow in the winter so I waited. Three months later, in January '12, the house was still on the market so I went to see it. I liked it but knew I couldn't possibly close 'til May since I didn't want to close in the middle of the semester. In late February, the house was still on the market, and I took the plunge. I'm closing in 3 days!

The house I'm buying is perfectly livable but will need some updates (e.g., I will want to replace the kitchen and add a master bath in a few years, remove wallpaper, paint, etc.). I hate moving and have a very stable job, so I knew if I bought it would be for the long term (hopefully 20+ years), so I am OK with remodeling it over time. I think most buyers would prefer not to have to remodel, given the expense & mess, so I can understand them passing on it. But it seems to be a very solid house (from what I've heard from the inspection & several contractors' visits), and it suits my needs well in most ways (large & very private lot that backs up on conservation land but still with city water/sewer, great neighborhood, WAY lower taxes than in my current town, good schools, etc.).

I think that if a house is right for you, you will know pretty quickly after walking in. If you want to see it again, obviously that's a good sign -- with some houses that I looked at, one quick look was enough to know it wouldn't work for me.

Last edited by karen_in_nh_2012; 04-30-2012 at 09:24 AM..

Old 04-30-2012, 09:34 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
12, put offers on two. One got pulled off the market and we got the 2nd one.

Old 04-30-2012, 09:47 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Current house, 4 or 5, offered on another but was beat out by full price offer (Over-priced IMO).
Previous house, 5-6, bought 1st one offered on.
Previous house, can't remember but bought 1st one offered on.
First house, 5-8 but bought 1st one offered on.

I don't think I've ever looked at more than 8-10 houses.

Old 04-30-2012, 05:35 PM

244 posts, read 633,958 times
Between 20-30.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:35 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Probably a half-dozen the first time, a dozen the second.

If I had to look at more than 25 or so houses before I found one, I'd seriously question if what I wanted even existed.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:44 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,799,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post

If I had to look at more than 25 or so houses before I found one, I'd seriously question if what I wanted even existed.
This is very important that more buyers need to think about. I keep a running tally on my clients and the current average is my buyers buy within 6.77 houses they see. That's an awesome number, and I don't push my clients. I consult with them and help them figure out what's important to them. It's all about a buyer knowing what they want and an agent knowing how to help them find it.

Old 04-30-2012, 06:47 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
4 - I was all based upon location - a 2-3 block radius of our current home - so I knew it when I saw it. And, I was very flexible. We ended up with a house we absolutely LOVE!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate