Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 09:14 AM

42 posts, read 162,640 times

Advertisements

Hello again,
Finally had an open house on sunday and a newspaper ad again - two families showed up looking for a mother/daughter house. I was home during both showings...Both families are interested and are coming back again to see the house on Wednesday - got to talking to the father who is a carpenter/construction guy and he said they had been to 12 open houses that weekend - he said not one house could compare to the quality of ours. He also commented on the price as being very fair in comparison to what was out there. In the meantime I had 2 calls from realtors that they would be showing the house this Wednesday and Thursday as well...so I guess it was the lack of advertising. This is more showings than all of August in one week! Needless to say, I am not dropping the price another 75,000. We powerwashed everything possible this weekend and turned one of the school rooms into an office area. I took out much of the school stuff and the rooms look huge and clean. The families had no problem seeing the space as a Mother/daughter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2007, 10:03 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,314,324 times
Sounds like you may be posting about the sale of your home soon. Lots of traffic is a good sign. Fingers crossed for ya!

Old 09-26-2007, 01:02 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,730,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarimcg View Post
Hello again,
Finally had an open house on sunday and a newspaper ad again - two families showed up looking for a mother/daughter house. I was home during both showings...Both families are interested and are coming back again to see the house on Wednesday - got to talking to the father who is a carpenter/construction guy and he said they had been to 12 open houses that weekend - he said not one house could compare to the quality of ours. He also commented on the price as being very fair in comparison to what was out there. In the meantime I had 2 calls from realtors that they would be showing the house this Wednesday and Thursday as well...so I guess it was the lack of advertising. This is more showings than all of August in one week! Needless to say, I am not dropping the price another 75,000. We powerwashed everything possible this weekend and turned one of the school rooms into an office area. I took out much of the school stuff and the rooms look huge and clean. The families had no problem seeing the space as a Mother/daughter.
Very nice. Your getting some decent traffic which is a great sign for you. Your price must be in the ballpark.

Keep calm, dont get too high or too low and you'll be fine....gl

Old 09-26-2007, 01:57 PM

23,867 posts, read 33,568,716 times
Will keep my fingers & toes crossed for you.

I had traffic over the weekend also. I wonder if people are coming back out again?

Old 10-02-2007, 05:51 PM

I just checked out your new pictures and have to say that I like the last picture better then the 1st. The 1st one makes the house look like a converted 2 family house for some reason. I also like seeing the mature trees you have and think it's a good selling feature.

I don't think I ever looked at the virtual tour. The 1st time I clicked on it, my browser crashed. I was then able to view it. I see you have a dresser in front of a window and to some people it will give the impression of a small room. Love the master furniture btw.

Have you heard anything from Sunday yet?

Old 10-06-2007, 06:54 AM

7 posts, read 15,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarimcg View Post
Hello again,
Hi, again. The market seems to be picking up. Summer is usually not a good time to sell the house because the kids are out of school and people are going on vacation. The upturn in activity is probably due to September/October. I have also had a lot of activity lately on my listings and in August we had nothing. It sounds like your house is unique and will require a unique buyer.
My advice, dont' flat out reject any offers, no matter how offensive they are. People are low balling like it's their ticket to heaven these days. Don't take it personally. Counter anything you get (or accept it, whatever works for you). You never know who the prospective buyer is and they could be bluffing to see if they get lucky.
Also, now is the time to work the market as best as you can. Fall is another time when things pick up. Usually (last year was a rare exception) the market goes completely quiet again after Thanksgiving through New Years.

I hope you get a reasonally and mutually acceptable offer soon. Selling/moving is in the top 3 list of the most stressful things in live next to divorce and experience the death of a loved one.

GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK, GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!

Old 10-12-2007, 07:04 AM

Do you have an update?

Old 10-12-2007, 07:37 AM

42 posts, read 162,640 times
Hello Everyone,

The one family from that weekend wants to make an offer but they want it to be a "legal" mother/daughter. Fair Lawn does not recognize "mother/daughter's but allows for extended family or something like that. Fair Lawn's concern is that it will turn into a two family house (not extended family) and be rented out. It was a "mother/daughter" set up when we bought it originally. We are waiting to hear from the town. Right now, they say it would go before the zoning board which has a 6 month waiting period! The family could just move in and utilize the space as they please as extended family, so I DON"T KNOW!!!!

There is another womann who has 5 kids and wants to buy the house if it can be used as a Birthing center on the ground level floor. So my husband is drawing up plans for that to see if the town will approve it.

The people who offered the 650,000 called to say that they are not looking for anything else - they only want our house or nothing at all and that they were trying to find another 20 - 30,000 to offer but cannot come up with any more. I told them we would wait until November to see if anything else panned out first. It makes me ill to think of selling it for 650,000 when I see what else is out there for that price.

Now Fair Lawn doesn't allow Open House signs to be placed on the streets - only on personal property. So they are making it even harder.

WHY CAN"T ANYONE JUST WANT A BEAUTIFUL HOUSE!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate