Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 12:40 PM

73 posts, read 241,839 times

Advertisements

We lost a bidding war back in March. That property was closed recently. We didn't feel good after we found out my agent represented another buyer who had actually won the bid. Is it fine in the real estate world that my agent handled in such a way? Although I would rather trust my agent being professional in the bidding war, but my feeling somehow got hurt after knowing the fact.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2012, 01:31 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,303,611 times
There is a form from the CA association of realtors called the disclosure and consent to represent more than one party.

Since I work in a small pond and it's very likely that my company will represent both sides of a transaction, I have my sellers fill this out when I list a property. Same with 2 buyers, although that becomes a little tricky if we have one buyer who makes an offer and then a second one shows up. We would obviously have the second buyer sign it, but it might be tough to get the original offeror to sign it after the fact. We haven't had that situation in the past 6 years, but maybe it's time for me to change the policy.

It's never fun to come in second, but if you didn't know the amount of the other buyer's offer or terms, it's very likely that your agent didn't reveal the details of your offer either.

The last time I had multiple offers, I had the buyers and their agents each come in and offer them an opportunity to best the offer on the table, auction style. This would be different where it is a bank owned property and they just ask for the "highest and best" offer.

Old 05-24-2012, 01:32 PM

906 posts, read 1,765,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorInCA View Post
We lost a bidding war back in March. That property was closed recently. We didn't feel good after we found out my agent represented another buyer who had actually won the bid. Is it fine in the real estate world that my agent handled in such a way? Although I would rather trust my agent being professional in the bidding war, but my feeling somehow got hurt after knowing the fact.
That probably should have been disclosed to you during the bidding process, but as long as the agent kept your information confidential and stayed impartial, I doubt it impacted your offer. In most multiple offer situations, you have to give your best and final offer, and we can only assume the other party offered more money or had better terms.

Old 05-24-2012, 07:58 PM

1,973 posts, read 5,222,558 times
You need to check your agreement with the agency. Ours specifically states that we may be representing more than one buyer on a particular property. If a client has a problem with that, I would strike it out.

Old 05-24-2012, 10:36 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Inventory is tight right now and I often show separate clients the same property. I haven't had it come up that 2 buyers want the same place (yet). Our office policy is to get the managing broker to work with the 2nd buyer to develop the offer and work negotiations. It goes back to the agent if the 2nd buyer gets their offer accepted. It's legal, with disclosure, to represent both, but it almost always ends up with one buyer feeling that they didn't get good representation - no matter how hard the agent tries to be professional and neutral.

Old 05-25-2012, 08:45 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
It is legal in Oregon for the same agent to represent two buyers making offers on the same property. It is my company policy that one buyer has to be referred to another agent. Agents can only write up one offer for a property at a time. We have this discussion with our buyers during the buyer consultation meeting so they are aware of our policy.

Legal yes. Ethical. Pretty dubious, IMO. Better to have a separate agent represent the second buyer to ensure good representation.

Old 05-25-2012, 10:31 AM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
We just had this situation in my office last week! While it's completely fine for an agent to represent multiple clients bidding on the same property (at least in my state), it's trickier than representing just one. So, to make sure things went smoothly and to avoid the appearance of any favoratism, the second party to make an offer was assigned to another agent in the office to represent them during negotiations. We didn't have to do this, but we wanted to avoid having the client feel exactly what the OP is feeling right now.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:22 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
There is a form from the CA association of realtors called the disclosure and consent to represent more than one party.

Since I work in a small pond and it's very likely that my company will represent both sides of a transaction, I have my sellers fill this out when I list a property. Same with 2 buyers, although that becomes a little tricky if we have one buyer who makes an offer and then a second one shows up. We would obviously have the second buyer sign it, but it might be tough to get the original offeror to sign it after the fact. We haven't had that situation in the past 6 years, but maybe it's time for me to change the policy.

It's never fun to come in second, but if you didn't know the amount of the other buyer's offer or terms, it's very likely that your agent didn't reveal the details of your offer either.

The last time I had multiple offers, I had the buyers and their agents each come in and offer them an opportunity to best the offer on the table, auction style. This would be different where it is a bank owned property and they just ask for the "highest and best" offer.
Why would you need the first buyer to sign it if you weren't representing two buyers at the time you wrote their offer?

Old 05-25-2012, 11:24 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhoFanMe View Post
You need to check your agreement with the agency. Ours specifically states that we may be representing more than one buyer on a particular property. If a client has a problem with that, I would strike it out.
Ours discloses that it may happen, but there is still an obligation to tell a buyer if it does happen.

Old 05-25-2012, 11:54 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,423,134 times
I have had this happen to me before. I gave the buyers the choice to make an offer with me or another broker in my office, or one in another office.

You chose what to put in your offer.

Have a conversation with the agent, in a professional manner, if that is what you want to satisfy yourself that neither offer was presented differently and that the acceptance was the sellers choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate