Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2012, 03:56 PM

220 posts, read 475,589 times

Advertisements

I've been saving up for my dwnpmt as well a very nice cushion for other expenses.

It'll still be another 18 months before I buy but did I wait to late in life to buy a house?

The good thing about it is, my mortgage will be my only form of debt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 AM

1,135 posts, read 1,770,326 times
Nope.
As long as you are not burdened by the debt and can have it paid off before you retire, why not?
I bought a small condo at 43 and paid it off in under 10 years.
Made retiring early a breeze.

Old 05-28-2012, 08:56 AM

2,679 posts, read 11,736,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post
I've been saving up for my dwnpmt as well a very nice cushion for other expenses.

It'll still be another 18 months before I buy but did I wait to late in life to buy a house?

You're doing it the way people should generally purchase. Buy something that one can afford and minimize debt later in life is very wise.

Old 05-28-2012, 12:15 PM

1,976 posts, read 6,862,089 times
I bought my 1st at age 42, put a good down payment. In 2 years, did a refi to 15 yr loan, so if I am still around at age 59, it should be paid off.

Old 05-28-2012, 04:56 PM

293 posts, read 720,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHitman View Post

My wife and I just bought our first home and we are 41 and 44 respectively. Locked rates at 3.62 for 20 years. Our plan is to make extra payments on the principal to pay it off in 15 years. We have no other form of debt and we could have bought the house cash. So I feel that you're doing the right thing by living or keeping your expenses accordingly. We decided not to give a big down payment because we rather keep the cash in hand just in case.....

Old 06-02-2012, 02:11 PM

220 posts, read 475,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjarado View Post
Nope.
As long as you are not burdened by the debt and can have it paid off before you retire, why not?
I bought a small condo at 43 and paid it off in under 10 years.
Made retiring early a breeze.

Yes, that's my plan. Pay it off in less than 10.

Old 06-02-2012, 06:41 PM

1,846 posts, read 3,940,853 times
My ex-husband and I owned two homes, but buying those entailed all that compromising that married folks have to do and I didn't really like either one that much. The first time I bought a home on my own, I was 54 years old.

On my own I did drive-bys on 510 homes for sale. Then I had my (poor, saintly, uncomplaining) realtor take me inside 26 of them. This one was number 25. Number 26 was so ugly that I decided on the spot to buy this one. lol

Ten years later I am sitting in the same house and I still love it. I think that buying a home on my own was one of the best decisions of my life. I bought a modest home that I could easily afford (not the most expensive one that I qualified to buy). Because of that I was able to pay it off before I retired, which to me was important.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate