Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 01:47 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
We thought about this subject too. Our house isn't on the market yet but we have 2 small parrots (very messy)
I found something that you slip over the cage that catches the seed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2007, 02:18 PM

3,225 posts, read 14,063,220 times
I am an animal lover but, I wouldn't buy a home with six cats living in it. Cats, in particular, are major red flags to any home buyer.

It's not really "Your" home anymore, or your cats home - you are waiting for the next owner to make an offer and move in ... you want to make it as much theirs, while you still have to live there.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:22 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,102,010 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
I found something that you slip over the cage that catches the seed.
That's so nice of you to suggest that but our parrots would destroy it in seconds. They are crazy!!!! Plus, they are free to climb outside on their "huge" cage. They don't fly around but they could if they wanted to. They just aren't the flying type of birds. Sometimes they come walking down the hallway though, when they get a Little adventurous!!!

Old 09-22-2007, 04:17 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,561,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roma View Post
That's so nice of you to suggest that but our parrots would destroy it in seconds. They are crazy!!!! Plus, they are free to climb outside on their "huge" cage. They don't fly around but they could if they wanted to. They just aren't the flying type of birds. Sometimes they come walking down the hallway though, when they get a Little adventurous!!!
They must be very cute. Our Cockatiel doesn't like to be out of the cage but our old one loved to hang out on the outside top.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:00 PM

43 posts, read 326,102 times
Thanks for the replies. They're all strictly indoor, very pampered cats, so putting them out in the garage or finding alternate housing isn't an option. I think our best solution is to just rent an apartment. We'll probably need to go that route anyway since we're planning on building a house.

Old 09-22-2007, 05:55 PM

9,116 posts, read 17,728,403 times
Ok I'm going to say it.

Its hard enough (and will get much harder) to sell your house.

If you want any chance of selling, Get rid of the animals one way or the other, period. Its the same thing as cigarette smoke. If any potential buyers get one sniff, their prob out the door.

Don't chance it. The market is too weak.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:58 PM

105 posts, read 400,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cynwldkat View Post
.if yours
are indoor cats just shut them in the room with the litter boxes while showing the house. Just tell the prospective buyers that you do own cats and this is their room. You can show the room but no need to have to disturb the cats or the home buyers. My feelings are: this is my cats home too, my home does NOT smell like cat urine, the house has been taken care of, there are NO fleas so if a person doesn't like it or won't buy it because of my pets--to bad!!
OMG your joking right? "too bad"....?!?!?!?

PLEASE dont take the above advice....as a buyer if i could not view every room I wouldnt even bother to go see the house....way too many homes on the market to be bothered with a seller telling me to come back to view one room. MAYBE you could get away with this type of thing 2-3 years ago but now....no way.
I was a seller a year ago and we moved our 2 dogs out into a rental with us until the house sold....it just cuts down on showings too much. PLUS....people can say all they want that their animals dont smell but if you get a buyer who doesnt own animals and is not use to the smell they can smell it....i wouldnt take a chance on losing a potential sale in this market. Same thing with smoking....i can easily smell it when someone smokes-even if they just smoke outside. Their clothes smell of smoke and that sits in their closet and well.....the house smells of smoke even though they may never have set foot in the house actually smoking. Your perception of the odor is lessened when your use to it and some friends/family may just be acting nice if they dont tell you they can smell it....that or they have been to your house and are use to it. anyway....no cats.....dont chance it.

Old 09-25-2007, 01:36 PM

4 posts, read 15,410 times
I'm with the idea that you move first, get the cats settled and then show the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate