Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 01:40 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times

Advertisements

Liz, that was smart. Sometimes a loose toilet can allow water to penetrate, little tiny trickles.. and then that causes a larger problem!! Sara may not know the full answers from the inspection. The buyer gets to review the list and then decide if they want to ask for anything. She may not hear for a day or two...

Shelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2007, 02:16 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraSatin View Post
Well, right now I'm the most worried about the fact that my husband sprayed the Killz last night and he overdid it a little... it wasn't dry this morning! It looks greyish until it dries to white, so hopefully it will finish drying before they get there at 10...

I haven't seen it in a spray version. I have a gallon, doesn't take long to dry at all.

Hoping things went well!

Old 09-25-2007, 06:28 PM

582 posts, read 2,009,355 times
Well, the spray version of the Killz is still not dry, go figure. Our agent said they use something to test for moisture in the ceiling and that since whatever caused the mark was dry we probably should have left it since it might have shown up on the moisture thingie. However, you could tell it was paint so it shouldn't be too bad.

Liz, I'm glad I was a source of inspiration! We're still waiting to hear how things went. From what I can tell on the house myself we're probably going to hear about the marks on the ceiling (wet paint), the loose tiles in the bathrooms if he noticed, the light in the kitchen that's blinking because we forgot to tighten the bulb, and maybe the HVAC needing servicing.

I've been busy today trying to find a house, we decided not to go for the house that needs all the work. We weren't going to be able to afford the house and the repairs so we're looking for something that is in better condition. Our agent called the buyer's agent about the inspection, so we'll know about that hopefully in a day or two.

Old 09-25-2007, 06:38 PM

23,866 posts, read 33,545,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraSatin View Post
Our agent called the buyer's agent about the inspection, so we'll know about that hopefully in a day or two.

Are you able to get the results of the inspection? From what I read some states the buyer doesn't have to share it unless they are asking for repairs or something to that effect.

Old 09-25-2007, 07:02 PM

I'm not sure, I'll ask my agent when she calls.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:21 AM

21,956 posts, read 24,305,220 times
Roselvr, I have heard that too. But I did call our real estate agent and did get the information regarding our inspection. I mean it is our house--we should know. What if this buyer flakes out and we wanted to make sure we had repaired all those little things so it wouldn't show up on the next inspection? That was in CA and I believe that is one of those states that does not have to tell you what was found. I just figured it wouldn't hurt to ask. Guess I was lucky!

Old 09-26-2007, 06:41 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,841,471 times
cynwldkat: good for you, finding out what was on the inspection. but you are right, the inspection does not have to be handed over in all cases. think of it this way, the buyer paid for it. I know it is your house, but they paid for it. So it is rightfully theirs. Same with an appraisal. It belongs to the person that paid for it. Even though they are appraising what is essentially still your home, they paid for it.

Shelly

Old 09-27-2007, 09:38 AM

Well, we finally heard back from the other realtor. He just got the results this morning and will talk to his client and get back to us on what they would like fixed if anything this evening. Our agent recommended against seeing the inspection. She said that if there was anything caught that we didn't know about but we saw it on the inspection then if this buyer left we would be required to report it on the disclosure statement for another potential buyer. I can't imagine anything too big would have popped up, and we're willing to do some work within a reasonable amount of money spent... so we'll see. Hopefully I will be able to come back on tomorrow and say that we're all set and definitely closing next month!

Old 09-27-2007, 09:48 AM

3,589 posts, read 4,147,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrah View Post
The inspector will also notice the lousy repair job if you use strip caulking around the toliet. It could backfire and make the buyers wonder what other poor repairs have been done to "hide things."
Bingo.

Interestingly, the people who bought my 40 year-old house in the UK did not have any kind of inspection or survey done. The mortgage company they used did a superficial inspection, but that's it.

Had they done it, they would have discovered all sorts of things that we were not legally required to tell them about. I see it as being their fault. When we bought that house we had the full survey done and knew what we were getting into. Even that survey did not find some of the electrical faults in the house, one of which was pretty serious and cost a pretty penny to repair. The previous owner had done the work HIMSELF. Ugh. I hate DIY electricians.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:05 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,773,460 times
How about Chimneys? Do inspectors check to see if it has been properly cleaned and maintained>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate