Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 05:42 PM

4,281 posts, read 12,666,640 times

Advertisements

I disagree with most but only under specific conditions.

I had a similar issue in my last home. Kitchen with an eat-in area (bigger then a breakfast nook) but they were separated by an overhang counter top so while it looked like one room, there was something "separating" them. Picture a UU with the counter top and sink between them.

Remember folks the OP said eat in kitchen area, not a dining room.

I installed wall mount cabinets (not as deep as base cabinets) on the floor of the eat in area. They were not the exact cabinet style and color as in the kitchen cabinets, but they were very, very close. I had an indentical counter top as was in the kitchen installed on the top of them. They picked up storage, cost me very little loss of square footage in the eat in area, and while not an identical match few could tell unless closely looked at. The same type/color counter top made it all look the same.

The over hang counter top in the kitchen was actually taller (8-12inches) then the counter top in the eat in area so I had the same counter top material cut and installed on the wall area from the top of the eat in kitchen new counter top to under the old over hang counter top. On the open end of the adjoining cabinets was a strip of wall painted the same color as the kitchen walls. This easily hid the slight color differences in the exposed ends of the cabinet. The other ends were against the wall.

Hope I am describing this. Wish I could take a pic.

Hope this helps
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2012, 09:53 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Dunno...
But to me, when selling that space... it may alienate buyers who may not want those built-ins.
Say even if people who like it is at a hefty 70%... still that 30% audience of potential buyers will be lost.

When selling, don't do anything that may shrink your target audience.
Target for that full 100%... why restrict yourself???

Old 06-04-2012, 10:18 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post

I had a similar issue in my last home. Kitchen with an eat-in area (bigger then a breakfast nook) but they were separated by an overhang counter top so while it looked like one room, there was something "separating" them. Picture a UU with the counter top and sink between them.

I installed wall mount cabinets (not as deep as base cabinets) on the floor of the eat in area. They were not the exact cabinet style and color as in the kitchen cabinets, but they were very, very close. I had an indentical counter top as was in the kitchen installed on the top of them. They picked up storage, cost me very little loss of square footage in the eat in area, and while not an identical match few could tell unless closely looked at. The same type/color counter top made it all look the same.

The over hang counter top in the kitchen was actually taller (8-12inches) then the counter top in the eat in area so I had the same counter top material cut and installed on the wall area from the top of the eat in kitchen new counter top to under the old over hang counter top. On the open end of the adjoining cabinets was a strip of wall painted the same color as the kitchen walls. This easily hid the slight color differences in the exposed ends of the cabinet. The other ends were against the wall.

Hope this helps
Just a few "helpful" tips *only* "if" you want to hear...
About industry standards...

***Kitchen "anything" industry standards are varied by 3" (not talking about bath here).

Counter height is 30" (table), 36" (kitchen counter), 42" (bar)... seen a few at 39" for that custom look (where not much chairs will fit under except for the adjustable height ones)... still at 3" increment.
Main reasons = chairs & its "fit"... their industry standards... can also be medical reasoning = "posture height".

Now if the counter is caught in between the 3" standards (for the DIYers or the sub par contractor who has that bright idea to go non-standard because they are for dwarfs or giants etc.)...

to the un-educated / unknowing *oops* buyers (who have never ever done kitchens in their life)... what will end up happening is they will probably have to rip out that counter top & maybe even cabinets to redo that kitchen so their counter height will be on par with *standards* so when "their" educated buyers came through who can see past "that stainless steel set" have nothing to complain about.

After all kitchen is quite a "big money".... so when updating, my as well do it right.

Now for the close match cabinets....
Many people if you deal with the pros...
will most likely tell you to either match the make & brand, strip off all its stains & restain / repaint them all together so the stain matches (even if wood ages are different on the old vs new cabinets) OR....
CONTRAST... the add-ons.
So they actually look purposefully done as in many custom homes.

So the cabinets don't look like cabinets that look like "the house that jack build"...
= patchwork.

Just saying...

P.S. Don't have to take my word for it... just "google, google on the wall"....
And I also know the Mohs scale for those different countertops too... Silestone (any quartz) ard 8, Granite varied 7 +, stainless steel (except for the diamond edged saw / knives that can chip or used to cut these tops) usually 5 - 5.5 etc... Diamond is a girl's best friend... mostly that perfect 10 (do take it off while using any counter tops please).

Old 06-04-2012, 11:13 AM

812 posts, read 1,907,633 times
Is there a separate dining room?

If this is the only dining area for a table then I would use something removable to give the future buyers more flexibility. If there is a separate formal dining room then I personally would want additional storage space in the kitchen area for extra/non daily items or additional pantry space.

But that can be done with store bought pieces as well. I have light maple cabinets/black granite with a black island with beige/black/copper granite countertops. I just bought a new black buffet with hutch to put in my dining room since the entire downstairs is open to the great room/EIK and dining. I sold the fancy looking stuff that didn't go with the rest of the casual furniture we had.

I love the look of built ins but IF I didn't design it for my personal belongings and lifestyle it may not fit with my needs.

Old 06-04-2012, 03:35 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,904,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post

Hope this helps
You may like the built ins but the OP asked about whether the built ins will add value. They will not add value and they may turn off potential buyers. Sometimes it is ok to spend money on something because it is what you like. However, if you are talking resale that is a different story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate