Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 01:02 PM

349 posts, read 1,430,625 times

Advertisements

We are in a difficult situation. About 2 years ago we remodeled much of our kitchen with new cabinetry, but didn't remodel the dining portion; our kitchen is an eat-in kitche and these are on opposite sides of the room.. Now we want to add cabinetry to that side of the kitchen/dining room, but the company we bought from no longer makes cabinetry in the color we originally purchased (it's a unique brownish tone). Our options are:
1. Purchase same style cabinetry from the same company in a different color (probably white) - about $7-8k plus countertops

2. Get custom colored cabinetry from the same company in the same color as the original - about $14k plus countertops

3. Purchase dining room storage furniture from a store (e.g. Room and Board) - $3-4k

Our issue is that we plan to sell this home in a couple years and we need to put something in to show more storage as our current setup is a bit tight; we had been holding off doing anything as we didn't expect the cabinet color to become unavailable. We're looking for opinions on whether using furniture vice cabinets would effect resale value. Our design preference is for the furniture as doing custom colored cabinets is really expensive for the small space.

The custom cabinetry would look best - since it would be consistent throughout - but has a poor ROI. Our main concern with furniture is the perception to a buyer that their isn't enough built in cabinetry. However the furniture would likely look better than different colored cabinets. One additional option were considering is that we could give a buyer the option to convey the furniture with the home when we sell.

We're not real estate experts so we don't have a good idea how much built ins are valued at. Advice is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2012, 01:23 PM

17,705 posts, read 29,796,003 times
My personal experience as a seller (Denver, 2011, $600K) is not much. Our built-in dining cabinet was custom made of cherry and birds-eye maple by Boykin Pearce Associates . Expensive and gorgeous and valued at $zero by prospective buyers.

Buy from Room and Board and take it with you.

Old 06-03-2012, 01:27 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I find most people prefer their dining rooms devoid of cabinetry. It seems everyone has grandma's hutch that needs a place to be. I say buy storage and take it with you.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:11 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
I join the crowd - I would purchase furniture I like and either give the buyer the option, or take it with me.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:15 PM

349 posts, read 1,430,625 times
Just to be clear it's not a separate dining room, but a dining area of our kitchen. When we remodeled we took out an existing island and moved our table into that area to create better flow. Even though we removed the island we created more cabinet space by removing a pantry closet, getting taller cabinets, and using better cabinet designs.

This furniture or cabinets are intended to go where the table was so as to have more storage.

Old 06-03-2012, 02:25 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
Our issue is that we plan to sell this home in a couple years and we need to... Advice is appreciated.
Regardless of the room or the specifics the answer to this preamble is the same: Don't.

Don't spend money or time/effort or install anything permanently.
If you can't or won't want to take it with you... do without.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:29 PM

1,844 posts, read 3,937,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I join the crowd - I would purchase furniture I like and either give the buyer the option, or take it with me.
+1 Buy movable furniture and take it with you, unless the buyers say they want it included.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:39 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times
Built-ins reduce the flexibility for future buyers, in addition to the other reasons that people gave for saying "don't". I agree with them.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:51 PM

4,097 posts, read 11,473,825 times
1. I would not like more built in cabinets since it limits what wall space I have for my furniture and is restrictive. I prefer a hutch arrangement to show off china.

2. I would suggest, instead of spending retail on furniture that will immediately depreciate, consider consignment furniture or craigslist. I am amazed at the variety of high end furniture for pennies on the dollar. People are moving all the time or redecorating. Mix in some antiques for interest. Nothing is more boring than a totally matched set. Even cabinets can be more interesting with a mix of finishes. If you go with cabinets, how about a painted set? But I would not go with any cabinets.

Old 06-03-2012, 04:54 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,897,096 times
I would stay away from built ins. Not only do buyers value them at zero, some buyers may see them as a negative feature and factor removal into their offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate