Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 AM

1,704 posts, read 2,323,786 times

Advertisements

I have the same problem with neighbors who are teenage kids. I don't mind once in awhile to pet or say hello to my dogs but every time I step outside or let the dogs play for 10 mins outside HERE they come. When I am grilling in my backyard they peep in my backyard or side of the house and want to start a lengthy conversation in hopes that I give them some food.

They know what I buy because they are constantly watching me. When I bring groceries home, they have X-ray vision and see what's in the bags. I bought a new TV, they knew what brand it was! When I water outside, they are watching me through the window!

I got fed up with it and let them know they can't be coming over like that and just like another poster said would happen, I'm the stuck up jerk neighbor now.

It sucks when people over step boundaries and you let them know that they are invading your privacy, THEY end up playing victims.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2012, 08:56 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Actually, I sympathize for the OP. We have a few rental properties we manage where the neighbor kids are a problem. They are on an otherwise quiet, dead end, private drive with 14 units, all rentals. We manage 6 of them. One of the ones we don't manage has kids who are nosy, and downright annoying. At some point, it goes beyond "over-friendly". To me, that point comes when the kids come in your backyard or in your garage or in your car. These kids have done all of those things. They throw things over the fence into our tenant's yard (on purpose) so they have an excuse to go in their backyard, which they then ride their scooter around in on the grass, they watch tenants put in their garage door codes so they know how to get into the garages, and then open the doors when the tenants aren't home, and our carpet cleaner came out one day to find one of the kids in his van digging through things while he was in the house (and that's all in addition to the fact that no one can have a quiet 10 minutes on their porch because they latch on to anyone who sets foot on the street like a leech and won't let go).

All of these behaviors are unacceptable, but talking to the parents has done no good, and the kids just ignore any attempts to teach them. Ignoring them does no good, and even flat out rudeness doesn't work (as in, "I'm busy, please leave me alone" or even just plain "go away"), they stick around anyway. They'll even walk along next to you while you are trying to mow your lawn, which eventually is going to end with someone getting hurt. We've had a few things turn up missing from garages, and are pretty sure it was these kids who took them, but have no proof. We've had several tenants move out because of these kids. They are 6 to 8 years old.

The OPs neighbor kids don't sound quite as bad as that, but it is just a matter of degree. They are pestering the OP when he has made it clear he isn't interested in socializing with them. So while the OP does seem to have some racist issues, I still do sympathize with the situation. Sometimes the kids won't learn and the parents just don't care.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:03 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,683,376 times
I have been robbed once from a move into a new apartment...
Lost my computer, palm device and even my blood sugar instrument.. carrying my DD then.

After the robbery, there are always knocks on my door from kids (children ranging from 9 to teens)... to find out if their parents or adult supervisors can come by & do more damage I reckon.

Needless to say I am not there for long.

So... be careful.. **many criminals do use children to "scout" for potential victims many times!!!

I would move too if I were you... and you do need to becareful not to come across as racist or there may be trouble in the neighbourhood for you.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:08 AM

1,677 posts, read 2,487,145 times
I found it difficult to comment on this because I'm not quite sure if the problem is the kids' behavior or their race. If these were white kids, would the OP have the same level of annoyance? I've found that kids in general tend to want to pet dogs, be friendly, and some don't quite grasp boundaries. Race has nothing to do with that, that's children. Maybe the OP should have done a minimal amount of research into the area before she moved there, but be warned that black children are not the only ones who behave like that. Look for a nice, sterile retirement community next time, where there are no children at all.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:36 AM

1,959 posts, read 3,101,230 times
It is not a racial thing! I had the same problem in my neighborhood because the kids were not taught boundaries and were home schooled so constantly out and about. It took some work, but eventually they learned they could come over and visit but only during certain hours. Over the years, we formed a great relationship and now these 'kids' are adults and good friends of mine and help me in my old age. I feel very sorry for these poor kids with crappy, welfare trash parents. Were it me walking the dog, I'd be kind, but firm, and let them know about the dog in order to prevent bites, etc. And yes, the word will get out and they will 'have your back' and do you no harm.

Old 06-08-2012, 09:46 AM

21 posts, read 36,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blazerj View Post
OP, you sound like a jerk, especially with your blatant racism.
I'm not racist. I have plenty of black friends, I listen to rap music, and I voted for Obama. The only reason that I mentioned race is because I want to emphasize that there may be cultural/socioeconomic issues. It's really about poverty having some sort of effect on the neighborhood residents that makes them unaware of social norms.

The kids seem to follow the "no boundaries" attitude of one of the mothers...shortly after I moved in she pounded on our front door for an hour starting at 4 AM determined to wake us up. My brother opened the door and she wanted a ride to the impound lot because her boyfriend had been arrested with her car...just absolute trash...call a taxi lady we don't exist to solve your problems!

If they were white kids, I'd be apprehensive as well. I have no problem talking briefly to the adults, and I'd rather be the "guy who hates kids"instead of the "guy who's really friendly with all the neighbor kids."

Old 06-08-2012, 09:49 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
The problem with being too stand-offish is that they will come to see you as a jerk and a target. You can have a friendly word or two and then say something like, well, see you another time as I am busy now. They are probably just curious about you as you are different to them, the offer to help mulch may have been a request for a job (they may need the money) or just having something to do out of boredom, and as said, a dog is a kid magnet!

Old 06-08-2012, 11:02 AM

8,046 posts, read 28,472,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jckmc222 View Post
It's really about poverty having some sort of effect on the neighborhood residents that makes them unaware of social norms.
Maybe, but some people are just clueless about these things, whether they have money or not.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:28 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
Quote:
I think this is less a racism issue and more of a young person issue. That kind of stuff wouldn't irritate me now, but I would have been irritated by it when I was younger. I was just more self-absorbed back then.

OP, look you need to change tactics. Ignoring isn't working so the next time they pop over, just tell them directly that you value your quiet time because you study really hard at school and ask them not to look over your fence and such. Kids do stupid things all the time and we parents are used to being really direct with them because subtle does not work with kids.

Old 06-08-2012, 11:31 AM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,302 times
Quote:
Let's see:

"The neighborhood is pretty trashy and full of 19 year old single moms with 4+ kids and people who blast music from their crappy cars with shiny rims."

That's ghetto, rude, and inconsiderate. Where is the racism? Would you like neighbors like that? I think the OP's solution is to move as it would be nearly impossible to change an entire neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate