Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2012, 07:15 PM

778 posts, read 2,312,223 times

Advertisements

This is probably a dumb, pointless thread, but I have to ask if anyone has ever been in this situation. I'm also going to post this in the personal finance subforum as well.

I've recently turned 26, and I'm starting to notice that ever since, my circle of friends and family members have started putting a lot of pressure on me to purchase a home.

I would like to think that I'm pretty accomplished in my career, so far anyway. I am fortunate enough to make a good living for my age and in this economic climate. I guess other people see that and think that I need to make the "next step" in my life and purchase a home. I am really not ready to for a myriad of reason, but the so called advice I'm getting from others has reached such a fevered pitch lately that I'm really starting to question my own maturity level.

Currently, I am renting what is IMO a fantastic apartment. Its $925/month, which is actually pretty steep for my part of the world. But its a great place. Completely renovated historic building, top of the line appliances, wood floors, great city view, semi private rooftop balcony, elevator access, basically what any bachelor in his mid 20's can want. Yet even when I tell friends and even some family members this, I get this "does not compute" look. They always say, "yeah it may be nice, but for $925/month you can go to [insert random suburb in my area] and get a really nice house. Plus you're building equity and get a fat tax write off!"

I've done my research on my possible tax benefits. At the price level I'm comfortable buying at without giving up my lifestyle (and I'll admit I've got some expensive habits) it is simply not going to give me much of a tax break. In fact, I probably won't even clear the standard deduction limit after being in the house after 2 or 3 years.

I would love to buy a version of what I'm renting, but condos in my part of town are going form a minimum of 250K, which is about 75K more than I'm comfortable with. I've looked at some houses near me but they are so not my style and more than I want to pay as well. I could always go to the burbs for something cheaper but I'm a city guy at heart and would die of boredom living out there.

I guess to make a long story short, I am very content in my living situation and lifestyle, but all this pressure I'm getting from others is getting to me. Usually I would say I could care less what you think about me, but I'm starting to think I'm falling behind and not doing what's appropriate for my age. I live in a part of the country where people tend to settle down young, and everyone my age is buying houses. And indeed where I live homes are very reasonable. Yet here I am just chugging along being a lowly renter. Am I being immature about this, putting present lifestyle satisfaction over future financial benefits? Should I shove my expensive habits, man up, and buy a home? Or am I just being my usual neurotic self and should just plug my ears?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2012, 07:57 PM

41,718 posts, read 74,654,678 times
Do you want to buy a house? Go for it.

Do you not want to be a homeowner? Don't listen to the people who say you should. Do what you want.

Old 06-19-2012, 07:58 PM

34,091 posts, read 82,455,924 times
Long story short... tell them to mind their own business.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:35 PM

17,574 posts, read 45,974,390 times
Just come up with a few responses for the repeat offenders:

I think you should start having kids.
I think you should go on a diet.
I think you should dump your loser boyfriend/girlfriend.

Hopefully they would get the hint.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:36 PM

5,004 posts, read 12,313,882 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #1soonerfan View Post
I could always go to the burbs for something cheaper but I'm a city guy at heart and would die of boredom living out there.

I guess to make a long story short, I am very content in my living situation and lifestyle, but all this pressure I'm getting from others is getting to me. Usually I would say I could care less what you think about me, but I'm starting to think I'm falling behind and not doing what's appropriate for my age. I live in a part of the country where people tend to settle down young, and everyone my age is buying houses. And indeed where I live homes are very reasonable. Yet here I am just chugging along being a lowly renter. Am I being immature about this, putting present lifestyle satisfaction over future financial benefits? Should I shove my expensive habits, man up, and buy a home? Or am I just being my usual neurotic self and should just plug my ears?
You should just ignore it.

Out here in Seattle it is not unheard of for men in their mid 30s still have room mates and live with others while renting a room. Many have to because it is really freaking expensive here for buying a house.

Meanwhile all your friends are dumping all their money into raising rabbits. And a single guy buying a house in the suburbs ... unless you want the space for a man-cave, or like gardening, or whatever, I wouldn't do it.

Wait until you have the capital to buy. And then wait until you're ready emotionally.

Everyone has different stages that they go through. I see it all the time out here with guys in their late 40s / early 50s with 5 year old kids at the oldest. They wait to have kids because they're too busy or having too much fun or both and want to live it up before having to pass on the genes.

For women it's a little different ... but it works out well for them because older guys make more money and (typically) are more mature. Just being dead honest.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:53 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,582,737 times
Tell them you are not convinced the real estate market has finished falling. You can google and find studies that show renting is better in some situations. Do what makes YOU happy!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:41 PM

43,020 posts, read 76,519,527 times
You need new friends. You are pretty much stuck with your family.

Tell them all you are passing the hat among your friends and family and when you have 30 years worth of $925/month, you will let them talk to you about how to use it.

Your apartment sounds pretty cool to me. Why mess with a good thing until YOU want to mess with it?

Old 06-20-2012, 12:59 AM

47 posts, read 118,958 times
Don't do it...I was like you and ended up buying a house, now I'm trying to get rid of it! Being a homeowner comes with a lot more responsibility than most people realize. Renting allows you to change your mind and make a clean break. When you own, you are stuck unless you can sell it (I'm not having much luck with that at the moment) or rent it out. If you don't feel inclined to buy right now, then don't!

Old 06-20-2012, 07:49 AM

22 posts, read 61,132 times
I would not listen to them.. They seem like the same type of people when during the bubble i was constantly getting hit with "well my house has gone up 10-15% every year since i bought it."

In reality it's your life, your finances and don't let others tell you what to do with them.

Old 06-20-2012, 08:06 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,352,380 times
Deep down, a lot of people are probably fairly jealous of you. They probably want you to be just like them, so you can deal with the same problems and issues they deal with as homeowners.

It's like how people with expensive leased cars think all their friends driving paid for older models should "upgrade."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate