Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 06:01 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by IggysListing View Post
Jimj, I salute you.
In case anyone is wondering, I am affected, personally, very little either
way. However, I despise lies and manipulation of the public by those
such as Cramer. There are many agendas out there and some are trying
to manipulate markets for their own gain to the detriment of the public.
It is reminds me of the ludicrous lawsuits that help a few attornies and clients and drive up health care costs for all.

Realtors are not affected by the slump unless VOLUME goes down. They still get commission if deals go through.

It's an important point that often gets overlooked in the conversation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2007, 07:28 AM

109 posts, read 391,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CouponJack View Post
Realtors are not affected by the slump unless VOLUME goes down. They still get commission if deals go through.

Not quite sure what you mean in regard to quoting me?
Are you assuming I do traditional real estate transactions?

Old 10-01-2007, 07:42 AM

9,116 posts, read 17,718,482 times
Quote:
Not quite sure what you mean in regard to quoting me?
Are you assuming I do traditional real estate transactions?
I thought when you stated that you are not affected by price, you were referring to volume of transactions.

Sorry, my mistake.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:52 AM

11,825 posts, read 34,420,440 times
Quote:

If the sales take longer and more deals fail to close (all the work is done, but still no paycheck)...it does effect what I make.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 AM

575 posts, read 1,777,755 times
I agree that blanket statements like "Don't you dare buy a home now, you will lose money." are irresponsible. Of course basing one of the most significant financial decisions many people will make on Jim Cramer's advice on a morning show calls a persons judgement into question in my book anyway.

That said I think Cramers' advice is as balanced as brochures put out by the NAR like Why Rent When You Can Buy that has headings like "You Can't Afford NOT to Buy a Home!" and that absolutely promotes home ownership as an investment tool that always provides a steady return on investment.

Honestly I'm with most of you. It really depends on your local market and your individual circumstances. But I do believe that renting is a much better option than buying right now for some folks.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:26 AM

2,203 posts, read 9,318,872 times
Quote:

If we're in a slump, volume is down. That what creates a slump in the first place. We have excess inventory, in part, because there are fewer buyers in the market for homes. The drop in prices is the end result because sellers have to do that in order to attract whatever buyers are out there to buy their home instead of the myriads of others on the market.

With all the new agents that got into real estate in 2004 and 2005, we now have many more agents than we have sales. Here's an unconfirmed statistic I heard last month: over 55% of the agents in Phoenix had not closed a deal yet this year. That's one scary statistic! It might not be that bad up in my area, but I do know that the closed sales this year are about equal to the number of agents, and you know some agents have sold more than one house, so probably there are quite a few who haven't sold anything yet this year.

Yep, agents are hurting badly. Lots of time and money spent on trying to get our listings sold. Sellers are still wanting top dollar and are sure their home will sell even if it's not priced at the low end of the competition (because, of course, their home is nicer than the competition). Even working with buyers has been trying at times. Not many buyers out there, and most are really taking their time and exploring things thoroughly before buying. Not that I blame them - I would, too - but again, an increase in money spent on gas and lots of time devoted to researching details and showing many, many properties. Plus more money spent on things like beefing up a website, and many more agents are subscribing to lead services now, I'm sure.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:32 AM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axiom View Post
I agree that blanket statements like "Don't you dare buy a home now, you will lose money." are irresponsible. Of course basing one of the most significant financial decisions many people will make on Jim Cramer's advice on a morning show calls a persons judgement into question in my book anyway.

That said I think Cramers' advice is as balanced as brochures put out by the NAR like Why Rent When You Can Buy that has headings like "You Can't Afford NOT to Buy a Home!" and that absolutely promotes home ownership as an investment tool that always provides a steady return on investment.

Honestly I'm with most of you. It really depends on your local market and your individual circumstances. But I do believe that renting is a much better option than buying right now for some folks.
the only thing I can say though, is that you know who and what NAR is. They are a paid lobbying group to promote in the interest of real estate, and educate (as fits their needs). One reads the publication understanding the bias of the write.

the irresponsibility of a Jim Cramer, is that folks actually believe he knows what he is talking about!! And he is just a big ole blowhard!! Scary when you look at it that way.

shelly

Old 10-01-2007, 02:28 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Very well stated!!
I believe that what he said borders on criminality and is not much
different than falsely crying fire in a crowded theatre.
PLEASE! Criminal for stating his opinion??? How is AT ALL like a life & death false cry in the theatre?

I think it is great to have someone contradict the OVERLY optimistic NAR and many the many agents that think the same way.

The NJ board of realtors should go cry in private. We don't want to hear it.

Old 10-01-2007, 02:37 PM

5,341 posts, read 14,134,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
the only thing I can say though, is that you know who and what NAR is. They are a paid lobbying group to promote in the interest of real estate, and educate (as fits their needs). One reads the publication understanding the bias of the write.

the irresponsibility of a Jim Cramer, is that folks actually believe he knows what he is talking about!! And he is just a big ole blowhard!! Scary when you look at it that way.

shelly
Now Shelly....so you think the general public doesn't think the NAR knows what they are talking about and that many agents don't regurgitate what they put out?

The general public does not understand the "bias of the write" from the NAR and Realtors. The general public is pretty naive and believe what they hear.

Old 10-01-2007, 05:04 PM

2,124 posts, read 8,839,562 times
Tim, I gave you the benefit of the doubt, didn't I ; )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate