Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 12:46 PM

33 posts, read 119,363 times

Advertisements

I'll be the bad guy and say what everyone else in the industry here is thinking.

If you went through 24 agents, the problem is with you, not the agents.

Moderator cut: personal remarks

Last edited by Marka; 09-25-2008 at 03:14 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 01:24 PM

12 posts, read 22,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brytanica1 View Post
I'll be the bad guy and say what everyone else in the industry here is thinking.

Sure blame the customer for bad service instead of admitting the truth, Moderator cut: personal remarks are off topic. The fact is in order to get a home we had to rely on a friend to help, because most in the industry shouldn't be realtors because they are lazy, and many haven't a clue what they are doing.

If we can't even trust the average realtor, whether it's a big name company or not to know their job and take a customer to several homes, instead of one a week, then how is it the customers fault? We did all the research, found all the homes, asked to see several at once in the same area and we got a reject for a realtor every time. Maybe you're right? The mistake we made was hoping we could get some jack ass like you off your butt to open a door or two.

Last edited by Marka; 09-25-2008 at 03:14 AM..

Old 09-23-2008, 01:35 PM

12 posts, read 22,895 times
Quote:

We received a good realtor because the person who runs the branch we are now using actually makes sure the realtors they hire are worth it, or they're gone. Something many employers don't seem to care about apparently, hiring a good worker.

Furthermore, the realtor never knew about the conversation we had with her superior, she was only asked to help us. We are well within our rights to be upset and to ask for a competent realtor when we get bad service whether or not you like it.

Last edited by Marka; 09-25-2008 at 03:16 AM.. Reason: orphaned - the quote has been removed

Old 09-23-2008, 08:58 PM

397 posts, read 1,069,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shellytc View Post
ok, I know you are frustrated, but lets start with your first frustration: your agent showing your home. Usually your agent won't be the one showing your home. That is why there is a Multiple Listing Service. It came about a long time ago...

It used to be that a guy would hear in his town that a home or land was up for sale, the owner said to the guy, hey if you bring me a buyer, I'll pay you x amount. So, he kept his ear to the ground to see if someone was in the market. Then he built a reputation for being in the know. Other sellers told him about their properties, and soon he had a "list" of homes for sale. Buyers knew this was the go to man if you wanted to buy property. After awhile, it looked like a good gig, and someone else started making a list. Things grew and the frustrating thing for the seller is that only one guy knew about his property. There was no sharing... And the guys with the list were waiting for the one buyer to contact him. So those guys with the lists got smart. And they said, hey I will share my list of homes with you if you share your list with me, and if you bring the buyer..I'll share my commission with you. And thus grew the Multiple Listing Service, built by agents, managed by agents, for agents. I won't go into the growth and governance....

Anyway, those early guys figured it out. The more others knew about your listing, the more opportunity for it to get sold. In this day and age, with agency law, most buyers have gone out and engaged their own buyers agent. They don't want to deal with the listing agent for purchasing because they will either be in a dual agency situation (not good, IMHO, for either party) or, they are just a customer and do not get treated as a client. So, the chances of your agent actually being the showing and selling agent, is very low.

Now on to lazy agents. I try to leave a house as I found it. So, if you left the lights on, I will leave the lights on. I don't know if there is another showing after me. If you left the lights on (as the best way to show a home!! good for you!!!) and then I show your house at 10:30 and turn them off, then you have another showing at 12:30, your lights will be off and you won't get the best showing. If you want the lights off, leave a note, asking the agent turn the lights off. Understand that the next showing will be coming into the dark. And as we go into Fall and Winter.. it will be very dark and gloomy.

Now for leaving a door unlocked. Not good. I will go back and check doors, just to make sure. And every agent should. I would put a note on the back of the front door, please agents go back and check that all the doors are locked. great reminder.

feedback. that is a hard one. I wish agents were better at it. But some refuse to give feedback for many reasons. one is actually liability. A buyer sued his own agent and the listing agent for feedback that was given. He gave some harsh feedback, that was given to the listing agent, and to the owner. He came back to the house and made an offer. The sellers were upset over the feedback, and played hardball. Long story short, it hurt the negotiation. I am always very neutral in my feedback, so you may not get all the information. In this litigous society, we have to be careful.

We know you are frustrated. Hope some of this helps.

shelly

I always leave a house as I found it, how do I know that there are no more showings for the day? perhaps they leave EVERY morning for work leaving the house in show-able condition and WANT the lights on ? there are many times when there are last minute showings, etc...so for that - unless I am asked by Selling Agent to turn OFF the lights, I leave the home just as I found it.

Feedback - I always give it as well as expect it, it's a professional courtesy and with my MLS the feedback also goes directly to the Seller so that they know verbatim the response.

Cards - I'm not so hung up on cards, I can see who entered the house through the lockbox if there is an issue, to be honest, I would rather my Seller not have access to other peoples cards, notes, etc.

Old 09-28-2008, 08:45 PM

353 posts, read 1,724,743 times
I have not read all the responses - but, wanted to add my 2 cents.

I leave the house as I find it. If the lights are on, I leave them on in case there is a showing after mine. If a door is unlocked, I leave it unlocked. Once, I had a showing and the back door was unlocked when I got there and being responsible, I locked it when I left. It turns out the seller left the back door unlocked because she was at a neighbor's house and that is how she planned to get back in. I had to drive back to her house to let her in because she didn't have a key.

So poster, if you want the lights off and your doors locked, or you cat fed or whatever, you need to tell us when we call to schedule an appointment. Most of us aim to please!

Old 09-29-2008, 07:35 PM

754 posts, read 1,735,168 times
Quote:

Moderator cut: personal remarks
lol If I caught this earlier I probably would have been the "bad gal". Let's be real here if I came in here complaining that all companies suck because I went through 24 jobs in two months it would be crystal clear that the problem resided with me. I got nothing more to say about that.

As a seller I would say that I have never had a problem with agents leaving my lights on or leaving my doors unlocked and CERTAINLY not letting my dogs out of their crates I guess I am lucky that the agents that have showed my home seem to be competent and considerate.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:50 AM

1 posts, read 905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrose749 View Post
It happened again...
Please tell me why when my house is shown by a realtor other than mine, they leave all the light on and DO NOT locks the doors. I had a showing yesterday between 10:00 a.m. and 11:00 a.m., I leave for work at 9:45...so I left all the lights on etc..thinking that leaving them on for a hour or so is no big deal.
I come home at 5:15 p.m....all the lights are still on and the back door is not locked. Would a realtor do that in his/her house?
With all of the showings that I have has only ONE realtor has turned off the lights and locked the doors. Do I have to leave notes?
And aren't realtors told to leave their card? That has only happened a couple of time. And feedback...forget it..it is like pulling teeth to get it.
I am beginning to think the main reason the housing market is so bad is because of the realtors...sorry to all you that are doing a great job, but I do feel that the sellers are not respected and for sure... taken for granted.
I would like to respond to your concerns with a little advice and another perspective. I am a very service-oriented realtor and have been for 15 years. I am a top producer. I have unintentionally left doors unlocked I am sure. We can get very distracted by doing our jobs and not notice when a client reopens a door that we have prevously checked to see that it was locked back after we opened it. This is not an excuse as there is no excuse, doors relocked are ultimately the realtor's responsibility but I wanted to offer how this could happen other than by a realtor intentionally disrespecting the security of your home.

As for the lights being left on, I would definitely recommend that you leave a note in your house to turn off all lights. The reason is the realtor showing your house has no idea how many showings you have scheduled for any particular day. I make an good effort to leave every house as I found it UNLESS I have been given instructions to do otherwise. Instructions go from you to your realtor to the appointment desk to the buyer's agent. Therefore, the message can be unintentionally dropped along the way. So notes to the buyer's agent left in your house are the best way to communicate "what you want" done with the lights. I make a point to go around after my buyers and turn lights back on after they have turned them off which is the natural habit of most people when they leave a room. However, the buyer doesn't know the realize you may have other showings that day. When I leave lights on or turn them back on, I am extending a courtesy to the seller that the next buyer does not arrive to view a dark house.

Old 05-08-2012, 09:22 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,527,253 times
The original post is 4.5 years old and the OP has not posted in 4 years.

While not intentional, it is neglegent for an agent to fail to secure a property after it has been shown.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate