Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-05-2019, 05:05 PM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by silibran View Post
When we were out for hours at a time, looking for a house we wanted to buy, our realtor told us it was OK to use a bathroom in a house we were looking at. I think OP is overreacting and I can’t imagine why, unless a looker left a mess.

When we were out looking for hours our realtor took us to a restaurant for a snack and restroom stop.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2019, 10:12 AM

6,738 posts, read 2,911,427 times
After discovering how rude and inconsiderate people can be, I stopped having open houses, some people have no respect for other peoples property. Most likely the same way they live at home, like animals.
Open houses are just for the realtors anyway, seldom are homes sold by having an open house.
As far as some pointed out that lookie loos should flush the toilet to see if it works, that should be done on the final walk through, not in every home you visit.. That is completely ridiculous and a cop out.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:07 AM

30,585 posts, read 25,173,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
After discovering how rude and inconsiderate people can be, I stopped having open houses, some people have no respect for other peoples property. Most likely the same way they live at home, like animals.
Open houses are just for the realtors anyway, seldom are homes sold by having an open house.
As far as some pointed out that lookie loos should flush the toilet to see if it works, that should be done on the final walk through, not in every home you visit.. That is completely ridiculous and a cop out.
We aren’t talking open houses here. OP was unhappy that someone used her bathroom during a showing, and this was what I was referring to.

To Harpaint, I’ve heard of realtors taking clients to lunch, but I’ve never experienced it. We were not 100% satisfied with our realtor here. She made no attempt to orient us in our new communtiry or even explain much about it. She did show us a lot of homes, but we were on Redfin everyday, ourselves. We found the house we ultimately bought.

There was also a certain amount of showing us homes that we were not what we were looking for. But I learned a lot from all that looking.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:30 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grumpy ol' Man View Post
Wrong. It is important on first viewing if you are considering a home as acceptable, to be looking for problems that may eliminate that home from consideration. And flushing toilets, is a very acceptable thing to look for problems before you make an offer on the property.

The final walk through is not a time to be looking for problems. It is to see, that the home is still in the condition it was when the offer was made, and to make sure that anything that is to be included in the purchase is still there.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:39 AM

9,446 posts, read 6,581,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
Wrong. It is important on first viewing if you are considering a home as acceptable, to be looking for problems that may eliminate that home from consideration. And flushing toilets, is a very acceptable thing to look for problems before you make an offer on the property.

The final walk through is not a time to be looking for problems. It is to see, that the home is still in the condition it was when the offer was made, and to make sure that anything that is to be included in the purchase is still there.

It's not necessary to USE the toilet before a test flush. Using the toilet is what the OP is addressing.

Old 01-06-2019, 11:50 AM

9,891 posts, read 11,771,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
It's not necessary to USE the toilet before a test flush. Using the toilet is what the OP is addressing.
The OP does not even know if someone used the toilet, or if they raised the seat to flush and make sure the toilet worked right. Just finding one seat on a toilet was raised, set off her ranting.

Old 01-06-2019, 12:10 PM

22,146 posts, read 33,552,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
It was pretty horrible. There’s just no way to sugar coat that experience. Hopefully, it was the first and last time. I actually had a ton of people come in and use the bathroom that day for some reason.

My wife always insists we replace the toilet seats when we buy a new house.
My wife bizarrely enough wants the whole thing changed. No idea why. But then I used construction port-a-Johns so I’m pretty immune to just about anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harpaint View Post
Since when have adults become unable to plan ahead for their bathroom needs. It's only common sense not to go house hunting when when you have diarrhea or after drinking a lot of water, etc.

I have a friend who had a bowel issue. Seems his big intestine got wrapped around his appendix or something and it was restricted. His excrement would move around the knot very slowly and in small increments. Once it got past the construction it was coming out. I ended up telling him to get checked out because he thought it was normal to go numerous times a day. He had axoperation and nowcall is good.

Hey we get it. You made it clear enough that you don’t want people using your restroom. Yes it’s inconvenient and annoying. But sometimes you gotta go. Some people are older and some just have bowel issues and can’t hold it for long periods. Do you want to sell your house? You’re gonna have people using your bathroom at some point. They will most likely look through you medicine cabinet too. Get over it. Other than hot gluing the seat/lid to the bowl you’re not gonna stop people from using it. Especially if they have kids.

I don’t care if someone uses the restroom to relieve themselves. Leave it clean and tidy and we’re good. I’ve had people need to use restrooms when I was showing rentals. Yeah let me say no you gotta drive to wherever and come back. I’ve had contractors use restrooms. It’s just bodily functions. People have them.

Old 01-06-2019, 04:53 PM

13,754 posts, read 13,329,285 times
Would you prefer they go behind a bush? Honestly.

Old 01-06-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post

No, you don't need to test flush every home you visit to look for problems, you might look for problems in a home you are really interested in, but even that is not realistic. What kind of dumps are you looking at if you might suspect a toilet problem? I've never heard of test flushing, I wouldn't do it even on a final walk through. I have a four bathroom home, and if some clown wanted to flush all four to see if they worked, I'd tell him to bring me a check and flush away.

If the only thing keeping you from buying the perfect dream home is a possible no flushing toilet, then have the seller knock off a hun and buy a new toilet.
You are just being argumentative and attempting get the last word in.. No sale..!
But hey, your the buyer, go ahead and impress the seller and ask to flush his toilet, after he realized you were serious, he would have a good laugh....

Old 01-06-2019, 10:12 PM

Test flush..! Lol...!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate