Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-21-2019, 01:05 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,721,623 times

Advertisements

If a gas station does not have public bathrooms, they will lose a big percentage of their business.

If a department store does not have public bathrooms, they lose a big percentage of their business.

If a restaurant did not have public bathrooms, they lose the majority of their business.

Businesses learned a long time ago that public bathrooms are a necessity to be successful.

When you place your home on the market for sale, it is actually from time to time a business. People are going to view the home. Like in a retail store, they are going to poke and feel as they call it, inspecting the property just as they inspect a sofa or bedroom set they are considering buying. They are going to try on clothing in a clothing store. And they expect a bathroom is available in they need one. And if they have to go to the bathroom, they expect there to be one in the home they are viewing, and if not they leave to find a bathroom, and that home is no longer one under consideration.

It is your home, but when you place has a potential buyer viewing it, they are going to do just as they do in a retail store. They are going to try on the house imagining it is their future home, and generally inspect the goods for sale, and if they need a bathroom, they expect the use of the ones in the home, just as they expect one in the stores.

The price of the home is much higher than anything else the average person buys, and they expect to thoroughly inspect the home, and if they need a bathroom break, they expect to be able to use the ones in the home.

Once you place your home on the market for sale, it is no longer just your home, but is now just a commodity waiting for people to inspect it and is now just waiting for someone to buy it.

Serious buyers are going to thoroughly inspect the home, use the bathroom as needed. They are going to look everywhere and inspect the home, just as they are going to feel the fabric in a dress, and try it on before buying it. The home is a much larger purchase, and people are going to inspect it more than just a dress in a dress shop.

If you cannot accept that, take your property off of the market.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-21-2019, 01:46 PM

5,266 posts, read 8,718,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The entitlement so many people have regarding using someone else's home for your private business is astounding to me.

How about doing a little planning and don't subject other people to your germs and waste materials?
It would be entitlement if you just showed up at someone’s house and demanded to use their facilities.
But when you put your house on the market and people are invited in to view it...sometimes folks have to “go”...planning or no.
Full disclosure: we recently bought a lake house and I will readily admit to using the facilities in two homes after I checked to make sure they flushed okay. We were out for many hours with no towns or businesses around and it was that or what...pee in the yard?

Jeez...people are weirdly neurotic.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:15 PM

6,457 posts, read 6,639,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post
Well okay then. Seems everyone thinks differently about things. If I was home and a viewer asked to use the bathroom, I would say yes. I wouldn't like it but I would certainly would not say no. My view is we are all adults here and the concept of using your own bathroom before you leave your house shouldn't be strange or new. Whether you have a "condition" or not.

And before anyone says it, yes family and friends are more than welcome to use my bathroom. The difference is they are invited into my house as social guests. People who come to view my house are not guest. They are here on a business matter which should take well less than an hour.
Sorry, I think your view is weird and unrealistic. I recently flew to Nashville for a 5-day whirlwind house hunting trip. We looked at as many as 18 houses in a day. If we were in a subdivision (possibly gated requiring a check-in with the guard on duty), looking at 3 or 4 houses in that neighborhood, do you really think I should have asked my agent to drive me out of the subdivision, take me to a gas station (or a half hour back to my hotel), just so I could pee, before seeing the rest of the houses in that subdivision? Is it really THAT big of a deal that I used a bathroom in a house I was viewing? I can promise you I did so at least 3 times every day, and never did it occur to me that I was being rude. I'm opening cupboards, closets, cabinets, and in general "violating privacy" because that's what happens when a house is being shown.

As we speak, movers are loading all of my possessions to the moving van to head to Nashville. I have intentionally left plenty of toilet paper, hand soap, and paper towels in every bathroom. Why would I want someone viewing my house to feel physically uncomfortable, or emotionally uncomfortable about using "my precious toilet"? It's not going to mine much longer hopefully anyway.

Old 01-24-2019, 02:25 PM

11,230 posts, read 9,243,847 times
Well, you can tell who actually wants to sell their house and who doesn't.

If you REALLY want to sell your house, someone using the bathroom will not matter to you.

"Wanna use the toilet? Be my guest, just hurry up and make an offer on this place, I gotta get out from under it!"

Old 01-25-2019, 01:18 AM

5,818 posts, read 2,654,103 times
Guilty as charged, but I ended up buying the house. First thing I noticed was how much I hated the toilet. Teeny seat, not elongated, low to the ground. (And the toilets were the first things we replaced literally the first weekend we moved in.) I don't know how the previous owners lived with them, honestly.

Old 01-25-2019, 09:31 AM

11,046 posts, read 9,684,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BriansZ View Post
There's a simple solution to all of this. Place a port-a-potty on your lawn for any potential buyers. And as far as test flushes go, don't most normal people replace all the toilets anyway once they move into a new home? No need to check to see if the toilet works if you're going to rip it out anyway.
In a word, NO. No, most normal people never replace a toilet unless there is something wrong with it or it no longer matches the other facilities.

Old 01-25-2019, 11:45 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,243,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShadow View Post
In a word, NO. No, most normal people never replace a toilet unless there is something wrong with it or it no longer matches the other facilities.
I swear, you'd think some of these people were going to eat out of it or something.

News flash! Toilets are for peeing and pooping in, folks! They are a fancier, more hygienic version of an outhouse! People who don't need their heads examined replace them when they truly need to be replaced (and since everything that can wear out can easily be replaced in an hour by any reasonably attentive eighth-grader, I'm not really sure when that ever is!), not on a whim.

Old 01-25-2019, 12:06 PM

14,415 posts, read 11,954,182 times
These are definitely first-world problems.

Old 01-25-2019, 01:24 PM

9,891 posts, read 11,721,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
The entitlement so many people have regarding using someone else's home for your private business is astounding to me.

How about doing a little planning and don't subject other people to your germs and waste materials?
When people are out looking at houses, they may not be near a public bathroom for hours. Would you rather have them leave in the middle of viewing your home, to find a public bathroom, and not buy your home. Or would you allow them to use your bathroom, so they can keep viewing your home and possibly buying the home.

The minute that you put your home on the market, it is no longer a private home. It is a something for people to use and test. And it is up to you the merchant just as in a department store, to have a bathroom available for their use if needed. The home seller, and a dress shop both have something to sell. Both need to have a bathroom if the customer (that is what a home buyer is) needs to use one it is up to you to provide it.

Old 01-25-2019, 02:14 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,620,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldtrader View Post
When people are out looking at houses, they may not be near a public bathroom for hours. Would you rather have them leave in the middle of viewing your home, to find a public bathroom, and not buy your home. Or would you allow them to use your bathroom, so they can keep viewing your home and possibly buying the home.

The minute that you put your home on the market, it is no longer a private home. It is a something for people to use and test. And it is up to you the merchant just as in a department store, to have a bathroom available for their use if needed. The home seller, and a dress shop both have something to sell. Both need to have a bathroom if the customer (that is what a home buyer is) needs to use one it is up to you to provide it.
Totally disagree.

It is still MY home. I put it on the market. I decide how to market it.

Some homes have the toilets wrapped so you can't use them.

Once you put in an offer and are in the due diligence phase, you get to test MY house. Until then, do your business elsewhere.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate