U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2007, 05:39 PM

982 posts, read 3,142,907 times

Advertisements

I need a little help with this. This is my first experience with this home warranty mumbo-jumbo.

Problem #1

Last week, we removed some large bushes from our flowerbeds. We discovered a nice chunk of concrete missing from the corner of the slab, which was hidden by one of the bushes. A friend of mine is a structural engineer, and I asked her to take a look. She felt certain it was cosmetic, but obviously we're getting it taken care of. The house is 8 years old. The warranty says it covers 'major structural' problems at this point. In a case like this, do the warranty people tend to fuss about the claim?

The warranty booklet says that we need to go through the builder to file a claim. The builder says we have to go through the sub-contractor. To add some flavor to this mess, the original builder was Milburn. When the subdivision was complete, DR Horton took over (I think they bought out Milburn). So, all of the information for the builder is for Milburn, and of course the foundation work wasn't contracted out. After a stint of confusion, I submitted a claim through DR Horton (via their website). Should I also submit a claim directly to the warranty company? What is the typical route for getting this taken care of?

Problem #2

Back in February, we noticed some severely curled shingles on one of the ridgelines of the roof, and some shingles in the front and back yard. We called the original sub-contractor, and they replaced the shingles (no cost to us). They told us that this particular brand (Certainteed) had been having difficulty with manufacturing defects in some of their products, and that we needed to contact them directly to get the shingles evaluated. The sub-contractor had received many calls (from Austin to San Antonio) with the exact same complaint. I went to the Certainteed website to get the claim form, and they wanted information I couldn't accurately give (square footage of the roof, # of damaged shingles, types of vents, etc.). I did some measuring myself and determined an estimate (not professional by any means), but I set it aside with the intent of finding out if the measurements had to be exact. I kept putting it off, until said bushes were removed and we found 2 more shingles. Today I re-visited the Certainteed website to get the claim form, and lo and behold, they've been 'acquired' by a French company! Their main page is in French (http://http://saint-gobain.com/fr/html/index.asp (broken link)). They give a phone # and e-mail address to contact them for claims information (via the Certainteed website), so I sent an e-mail with pictures of the damage, the types of vents, my approximate measurements, the day construction was completed, the type of shingles, etc. I called the sub-contractor today to get the description of the shingles, and I asked him if anyone else had success with Certainteed, and his answer was an emphatic 'no.' He said even some builders are going back and forth with them to no avail. Has anyone gone through this?

This whole thing is a cluster of farts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate