Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2012, 12:04 AM

42 posts, read 88,346 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I was wondering what your take was on this situation.
I'm thinking about buying a few older rental single family homes vs buying a newer home.

Here are the specs.
Older House
Built: 1950 - 1970
Cost: $40k - $50k
Sqft: 900 - 1300sqft, 3 bed
Rental Income: $600 - $800 /month

On a scale of 1 - 10, 5 being middle class type of house, I would say it's like a 3, it's not in a great neighbor, but it's not what you see on TV when you think of the Ghetto, gangs, violence, etc. That would be a 1 on the scale.

Newer House
Built: 1995 - 2000
Cost: $90k - $110k
Sqft: 1000 - 1400sqft, 3 bed
Rental Income: $1000 - $1100/month
On a scale of 1 - 10, 5 being middle class type of house, I would say it's like a 4, maybe 5. It's in a nicer area. These are like starting homes for young families.

What are you're thoughts?
I could buy much more older houses (2x as much), and cash flow is much better.
Do you feel that a home built in 1950 is old? It's concerned old where I live.
Would I have a bunch of issues with it down the road with the older house or 1950 isn't really that old for a house?

Sample pics of older house:
Built 1963

Built: 1969

Sample pics of newer house:
Built: 1994

Built: 2002

Last edited by FWPeter; 07-07-2012 at 12:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 09:40 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,835,634 times
Just my 2 cents, but a house built pre-1960 is likely to be a better quality build originally. Back then people took pride in what they were doing and used good materials. That changed as we as a nation got greedier; sloppy techniques, cheap materials, etc. became common.

Old 07-07-2012, 01:41 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,989 times
That's hard to prove and rather irrelevant for rentals as the items that typically break (appliances) are usually newer anyway. I would go with the new home for lead paint laws.

Old 07-08-2012, 01:28 AM

7,646 posts, read 9,953,657 times
Are these houses in Las Vegas or Phoenix? (Going by the rock yards.)

Along with the age of the houses you have to look at the area. Both cities have areas with older homes, however for the most part those areas are not where "nice" people want to live. They are fine if you want to carry a gun to collect your rents and don't expect much appreciation. But in general the newer HOA managed tracts are going to hold value and appreciate better.

I try to buy in outlying areas where new construction and infrastructure will be. This I feel provides the best long term value regardless of the age of the property.

I personally stopped buying rental properties older than 1978 anymore due to lead issues, and I prefer to buy as new as possible. My last house was built in 2007 and my commercial building in 2005. Construction really isn't any different, and in many ways newer homes use better materials (Tyvek wrap vs tar paper, drywall vs plaster and popcorn with asbestos, etc.). Plus replacing stuff is easier with newer homes as things are still in production.

As rentals tenants are gravitating toward the newer neighborhoods too. When prices are the same tenants are going to head for new.

Cost wise (flipping) a newer home selling for $65,000 that needs $10-15,000 to make it perfect is a better deal usually than a house for $35,000 that needs $30,000 and you still end up with a renovated house in a declining neighborhood.

There's a lot of factors to look at.

Old 07-08-2012, 04:53 AM

4,704 posts, read 25,303,508 times
I would go with newer for the same reasons that were already listed.
As far as older being better....long debated, not always true. Older also brings outdated plumbing, HVAC systems, insulation, windows, etc.
Go with newer, and in the best neighborhoods you can afford (for resale).

Old 07-08-2012, 05:03 AM

1,463 posts, read 3,267,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FWPeter View Post
Hey guys, I was wondering what your take was on this situation.
I'm thinking about buying a few older rental single family homes vs buying a newer home.
Here are the specs.
Older House
Built: 1950 - 1970
Cost: $40k - $50k
Sqft: 900 - 1300sqft, 3 bed
Rental Income: $600 - $800 /month
On a scale of 1 - 10, 5 being middle class type of house, I would say it's like a 3, it's not in a great neighbor, but it's not what you see on TV when you think of the Ghetto, gangs, violence, etc. That would be a 1 on the scale.
Newer House
Built: 1995 - 2000
Cost: $90k - $110k
Sqft: 1000 - 1400sqft, 3 bed
Rental Income: $1000 - $1100/month
On a scale of 1 - 10, 5 being middle class type of house, I would say it's like a 4, maybe 5. It's in a nicer area. These are like starting homes for young families.
What are you're thoughts?
I could buy much more older houses (2x as much), and cash flow is much better.
Do you feel that a home built in 1950 is old? It's concerned old where I live.
Would I have a bunch of issues with it down the road with the older house or 1950 isn't really that old for a house?
Sample pics of older house:
Built 1963
Built: 1969
Sample pics of newer house:
Built: 1994
Built: 2002
Any cash you think you might make off an older home will be spent, as a Landlord, in making repairs. Saw a good example of this recently. The owner of a small ranch just below our home rented it out to a young couple with two kids who soon moved a few friends in then they got a big Golden Retriever who started to tear up the storm door on the back. THEN they decided to fence him in with this miserable portable fencing and he proceeded to poop all over the cement patio directly outside the back door. The place was a mess and they evicted them then had to pay cleaning people, trash haulers and lawn people to fix things up. Where in the world are you gonna find a home built in 1963 for $40K?? or $50K?? Ours was built late 1950's and when we purchased it it was $189,000 and is now worth close to $300,000 because of improvements we made. Your figures are way off.
Unless you have a lot of cash and plan to turn the homes over once you purchase them, buying rental property is going to cost you more than any profit you will make. Renters just don't feel obligated to take care of rental property when they have a Landlord who will do it for them. Think this one over big time before you make a move.

Old 07-08-2012, 12:02 PM

42 posts, read 88,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Where in the world are you gonna find a home built in 1963 for $40K?? or $50K?? Ours was built late 1950's and when we purchased it it was $189,000 and is now worth close to $300,000 because of improvements we made. Your figures are way off.
Unless you have a lot of cash and plan to turn the homes over once you purchase them, buying rental property is going to cost you more than any profit you will make.

For everyone who is reading this thread, please ignore the above ignorant statement from Pammyd, this 14 yr old girl knows more about real estate investing than she/he does.

http://investmentwatchblog.com/is-th.../#.T_nJsZEkZU0

For Pammyd: There are many places in the entire COUNTRY that has deals like that, so before you say something ignorant, why not just listen and research? Maybe you will learn something.

PS. I have "a lot of cash".

Old 07-08-2012, 03:01 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Any cash you think you might make off an older home will be spent, as a Landlord, in making repairs. Saw a good example of this recently. The owner of a small ranch just below our home rented it out to a young couple with two kids who soon moved a few friends in then they got a big Golden Retriever who started to tear up the storm door on the back. THEN they decided to fence him in with this miserable portable fencing and he proceeded to poop all over the cement patio directly outside the back door. The place was a mess and they evicted them then had to pay cleaning people, trash haulers and lawn people to fix things up. Where in the world are you gonna find a home built in 1963 for $40K?? or $50K?? Ours was built late 1950's and when we purchased it it was $189,000 and is now worth close to $300,000 because of improvements we made. Your figures are way off.
Unless you have a lot of cash and plan to turn the homes over once you purchase them, buying rental property is going to cost you more than any profit you will make. Renters just don't feel obligated to take care of rental property when they have a Landlord who will do it for them. Think this one over big time before you make a move.
The Internet, you should try searching on it.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:18 PM

6,353 posts, read 11,594,235 times
If you can do the repairs yourself the older properties have a better cash flow. If crime is a problem, fence the yard and allow dogs.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:27 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,690,784 times
just compare cost per square foot (purchase price plus repairs). vs. rent per square foot. I have a rent house built in 1950. Its a real charmer and always has lots of applicants. However, it has cost the most of my properties as far as maintenance and repairs. The wiring is still not grounded and lately my new tenants are experiencing breakers switching. The new tenants are running computers and TVs alot plus microwave and dishwasher at the same time and old houses were not wired for all that load. So I probably have to get electrical work done.....another dang expense!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate