Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2012, 10:32 PM

15,528 posts, read 40,281,166 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yeah, I do have a list of things I do and was attempting to say I won't do them all. If there is "Open House" on the list, I may or may not do them but I don't want to be told "But you said on your sheet".
Oh. I give them the list of what they get at listing. I don't present all the marketing options in the world on my sheet. I present exactly what I will do for that specific home seller. So if I'm not going to do an open, it won't be on the list and I will tell them why.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 11:02 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,557,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageMom View Post

Re-grouping / starting over..any suggestions how to find a top selling agent in my area?
Top selling agents do one thing better than the others- they persuade sellers to hire them. Listing agents do not sell homes. Listing agents rarely meet the people who buy the property.

The role of a listing agent is to educate (the sellers) , market (the property) and negotiate ( with you in flat or down markets).

A solid listing agent is minimally going to :
-Educate you about your local market and the process
-Show and tell you what they will do in terms of marketing*
-Determine how and the frequency you desire for communications going forward
-Recommend a pre-listing home inspection so that you can fix what needs to be fixed without a gun to your head or disclose and adjust your price going in

* Open Houses depends. The neighbors in some neighborhoods are the best marketing out there.

Old 07-22-2012, 11:08 AM

63,919 posts, read 46,557,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I agree that it is different from house to house, but it can still be in writing. I'm a small brokerage and we put everything in writing and it does change from house to house. Flyers aren't good for all properties. Videos aren't good for all properties. It just depends. Consumers need to pin agents services down better so they know exactly what they are getting with the listing services. It also helps them compare agent to agent better.
Imagine that...a custom marketing plan that suits the property, neighborhood and the situation.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:43 AM

941 posts, read 1,799,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I agree that it is different from house to house, but it can still be in writing.
I'm a small brokerage and we put everything in writing and it does change from house to house.
Flyers aren't good for all properties. Videos aren't good for all properties. It just depends.
Consumers need to pin agents services down better so they know exactly what they are getting
with the listing services. It also helps them compare agent to agent better.
<<<----- I love this guy (gal?)

What consumers need is some kind of formal "How To" (for dummies) to have Q & A's to help lead them in the right direction.
Most people live in a house for many years and do not practice often enough the nuts and bolts needed to sell, in the way
things have been discussed here. They go online, look around and look at homes for sale when they are preparing to sell
to see what's out there...
they pick a Realtor with whatever formula they deem best..that's either by asking a friend, going to an open house,
or look who's got the most presence then sign up and hope for the best.

Having the knowledge and the nuance to make a informed decision for one's home out of place for the local Realtors enthusiasm has been elusive to me.
Its been a conundrum as I'm sure it must be for many others. My location is out of town. I've been told there are no comps (geeze Louise..don't tell me that, just do it).

There is wonderful advice woven throughout this thread.

Old 07-24-2012, 09:48 AM

45,218 posts, read 100,452,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
I'm a big fan of putting together a "brochure" for your house. I think it would be hard though for an agent to do this. You are just going to have to relay the information and just seems easier for the homeowner to do it.
Wow, is that the way it's done in NJ?? Listing agents don't print up color brochures for their clients??

How odd.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:25 AM

17,574 posts, read 46,041,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesMountains View Post
Wow, is that the way it's done in NJ?? Listing agents don't print up color brochures for their clients??

How odd.
I am certainly not speaking for all of NJ.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:24 PM

274 posts, read 706,345 times
Aw, sometimes it's just "call some agents and see who doesn't argue with me about my pricing strategy". Marketing/experience/comps be dratted. Those are the listings that I watch.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CourageMom View Post
<<<----- I love this guy (gal?)

What consumers need is some kind of formal "How To" (for dummies) to have Q & A's to help lead them in the right direction.
Most people live in a house for many years and do not practice often enough the nuts and bolts needed to sell, in the way
things have been discussed here. They go online, look around and look at homes for sale when they are preparing to sell
to see what's out there...
they pick a Realtor with whatever formula they deem best..that's either by asking a friend, going to an open house,
or look who's got the most presence then sign up and hope for the best.

Having the knowledge and the nuance to make a informed decision for one's home out of place for the local Realtors enthusiasm has been elusive to me.
Its been a conundrum as I'm sure it must be for many others. My location is out of town. I've been told there are no comps (geeze Louise..don't tell me that, just do it).

There is wonderful advice woven throughout this thread.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:30 PM

941 posts, read 1,799,148 times
oh, now that is a very interesting idea.

Can you please elaborate? I would love to hear more.

Old 07-31-2012, 03:22 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,252,215 times
CourageMom

You got some good advice from the realtors on how to sift through them, now you need advice on how to protect your interests.

1) Your contract needs to spell out specifically that if you find a seller for the property yourself you do not owe them anything at all. They only get paid if they bring you a seller....sometimes you can find a friend who wants your house.

2) The commission charged is negotiable. Most want 5-7 % but 6% is pretty standard. The listing agent will end up having to split that with a buyers agent. Specifically spell out in advance that if a buyer comes without an agent, that 1) they are required to show the home to the buyers 2) they do not get to keep the full 6%. Personally I would pay 4% but only if they showed the house to the unrepresented buyer. If it was not shown by them at all, then 3%. They wont like this, but it will tell you up front whether or not the realtor is trying to sell your house, or whether they are looking out for themselves before you. They are supposed to be working for you. You are their boss.

3) When you interview them pay attention to their demeanor. If they treat you like you dont know what you are talking about when it comes to your area/market. Move on. Those are the same realtors that will tell you that you need to lower your price to sell it when you are actually priced right. Be especially weary of realtors who have lots of price reductions on all their properties...those are the ones who make promises they know they cant keep just to get the listing.

4) Get their listings and goto websites like Sawbuck or NuHabitat and see what types of properties they have, how long they have been on the market, and how many reductions there have been...Despite what realtors will say, these websites have complete data and are drawing from the same MLS that they are.

5) Pay LOTS of attention to their photos. Photos on the web are 9/10 of the game. If you have ugly photos you get fewer showings. Lots of realtors still take their own photos with crappy point/shoot photos b/c they are too cheap to pay someone or get a better camera.

6) Read their contracts thoroughly. If you dont like something or it seems like its one-sided, inquire and change it. They bring you a contract, but its completely negotiable. If they wont negotiate the terms on their listing contract move on...It may look like a standardized form, but you can change anything in it you want.

7) Do your own research on everything prior to talking to any listing agent. Listing agents are THE most overpaid realtors in existence. In slow markets they earn their pay, in sellers markets they are nearly worthless....They will disagree and say how they are trained, etc, etc...but an attorney will do everything on the paperwork side, better, faster, and cheaper....if your house is anywhere over $200K. 3% of 200K is $6000...an attorney can do a much more thorough job for less than $1500 and they carry malpractice insurance.

Conclusion - there are good realtors and there are bad ones....these days it seems like there are more bad than good, so its your job to sift through them and find a good one....Just remember that in real estate everything is a negotiation. Realtors want you to think its all standardized, but the internet is changing the game and the realtors are still fighting to hold onto their commissions. Negotiate Negotiate Negotiate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate