Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-03-2012, 06:59 AM

3 posts, read 8,610 times

Advertisements

I own a home with two other friends and I will be moving across country soon. When we go to sell the house it will be unlikely I'll be able to be in the area.

what are my options?
Do I just hire an attorney to show up on my behalf and sign for me?
If so what sort of fee should I expect?

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2012, 07:16 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
We have sellers across the country sign documents routinely.
If "wet" signatures are required, you would have the docs sent in, and sign with a notary witness, and return via overnight package.
You can also sign many documents via electronic signatures, DocuSign, EchoSign, etc.

You will need to execute a limited POA to properly have another party sign the HUD1 Settlement statement at the closing table.

All apropos to where I work, in the Raleigh, NC, area.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:37 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,806,338 times
In my area, closings are done all the time out of the area. As stated above, docs are sent to you (usually via email and you print them out) and then you take them to a notary. I don't know why you need a POW for the HUD as that should be signed at the same time as the other documents. Closing documents, in my area, cannot be electronic.

Old 08-03-2012, 07:39 AM

So first the package would be emailed to me print/sign send back to my co-owners and they'd sign with the new owners?

Im in MA, where would I find out if I need POA for the HUD1?

sounds easy enough.. thanks guys

Old 08-03-2012, 08:19 AM

43,282 posts, read 77,092,464 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich523 View Post
So first the package would be emailed to me print/sign send back to my co-owners and they'd sign with the new owners?

As FW said, often the docs are emailed for you to print, and then overnighted back.

You should talk to your title company or closing attorney for details, as they can vary locally. It is not uncommon in NC, where I live and work, to tear up a HUD1 last minute at the closing table and make a revision or correction, and print a new document. Ergo the need for a limited Power of Attorney, particularly if I am the one who will sign the statement in the client's absence.

MikePRU is a regular here from MA and he can tell you more about the typical local procedures, at least in the Boston area.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:19 AM

8,543 posts, read 14,020,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrich523 View Post

Technically, you can go with a POA for the HUD in MA but not the deed (my understanding but I'm not an attorney). But why bother? Tell your attorney that you won't be able to attend the closing. He'll work it out with the closing attorney to get you the documents beforehand then you sign them, have them notarized, and FedEx them back for everyone else to sign. It happens all the time.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:24 AM

awesome, thanks for the help guys.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate