Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 11:58 AM

1,189 posts, read 1,757,601 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OP, i would move before continuing to subject my family to something that bad since no authorities will help you.
We want to move but need to sell first, that is the problem. I'm afraid no one will give my house a second look if they see these people outside. If I didn't need the money from the sale of the house so badly, I wouldn't care, but we need every penny out of it.

Busy couple of days...cops were there six times during the night. The dad keeps calling them because the one son stold his jewelry and money, blah, blah.. The son is barely there, but when he is he now has a new fashion accessory, and stuffed backpack. he waits until the dad leaves, and shows up within a minute or two. He must be watching from somewhere, it pretty creepy. The dad was on the phone this morning telling someone that his sone is wanted for something that happened in another town, dealing is my guess, and that he is on parole and still doing drug. DUH. Maybe someday it will be back to normal. I just want out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2012, 04:21 PM

21 posts, read 58,187 times
I really feel for you. My advice would be to think of every possible violation you can and document, take pics, etc. Then contact the county/city department that will take care of it and file a complaint. If the landlard gets bombarded with tons of violation notices, they might pay attention. Also, call the cops everytime there is noise, dogs barking after hours, too many cars,etc.

Don't try to sell with that situation because buyers do ask "what are the neighbors like" and an agent can't lie or they would be liable. When I sold my house a few years ago, my buyer walked over to our neighbors house and knocked on the door and talked with them. Also, I am a Realtor and my clients always ask.

Be strong, make a checklist and document and get those complaints filed. Good luck!

Old 10-12-2012, 11:07 PM

13 posts, read 46,654 times
Try the code enforcement aspect.

Find the code enforcement website for your city and use their form to report.

I can report for blight, overgrown weeds, abandoned vehicles on their property, trash/litter, broken fences, etc.

Code enforcement here does follow through.

If the owner doesn't resolve each complaint, they get fined up to $2500 per DAY in the city I live in.

This puts heavy financial pressure on the landlord.

I also had horrible neighbors but was able to use this angle to shut them up at least up to a point.

Good luck with your situation.

Old 10-16-2012, 05:25 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
We want to move but need to sell first, that is the problem. I'm afraid no one will give my house a second look if they see these people outside. If I didn't need the money from the sale of the house so badly, I wouldn't care, but we need every penny out of it.

Busy couple of days...cops were there six times during the night. The dad keeps calling them because the one son stold his jewelry and money, blah, blah.. The son is barely there, but when he is he now has a new fashion accessory, and stuffed backpack. he waits until the dad leaves, and shows up within a minute or two. He must be watching from somewhere, it pretty creepy. The dad was on the phone this morning telling someone that his sone is wanted for something that happened in another town, dealing is my guess, and that he is on parole and still doing drug. DUH. Maybe someday it will be back to normal. I just want out.
Well, if that is true Parole officers don't mess around...They will pick him up.

Old 10-19-2012, 01:07 PM

The son was arrested again on sunday. The dad ran into my car and broke my side mirror on saturday with his moving truck full of hot items. He unloaded a couple of things and left again. I was hoping that moving truck was a good sign they were leaving, but we don't have that much luck.

The fun never ends for us.

Last edited by Flamingomo; 10-19-2012 at 01:27 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 10-19-2012, 03:08 PM

534 posts, read 2,408,227 times
Id put up many many surveillance cameras on their side of the house. id spread the word that the police have access to said cameras. Drug dealers dont like cameras.

Old 10-19-2012, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingomo View Post
The son was arrested again on sunday. The dad ran into my car and broke my side mirror on saturday with his moving truck full of hot items. He unloaded a couple of things and left again. I was hoping that moving truck was a good sign they were leaving, but we don't have that much luck.

The fun never ends for us.
Did you call the cops and give them the moving truck license number and report a hit and run?? Sounds like Dad is in on it too unless you were joking about the "hot items".

Old 10-22-2012, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Did you call the cops and give them the moving truck license number and report a hit and run?? Sounds like Dad is in on it too unless you were joking about the "hot items".
Yes we did, but there is nothing they can do about since they didn't see anything. I'm sick of that line being fed to me all the time. At least the main problem is gone, but the dad and other dealing brother remain.

And no I wasn't joking about the items in the truck. I was in the living room watching them back the truck up and looked away to talk to my son and thought I heard them hit my car. My car alarm didn't go off, so I didn't think anything of it. I was watching them unload things into their house from from my front door and saw alot of stuff on this truck that was obviously brand new, in boxes, etc. They unloaded a brand new TV, recliner and tv stand and lots of boxes remained and he drove away and came back a short while later. They are all just super shady people.

When I went out to look at my car (just in case) after he left, I was only looking at the door and side panels, not even thinking to look at the mirror. When I went out monday morning is when I saw the back of the mirror was broken and he had actually hit my car, but not where I was looking. Too late for the cops to do anything at that point and didn't think to get the license plate of the truck since I was too busy watching what they were doing. Cops asked the same thing. Too much to deal with anymore.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:24 PM

Don't you have a crime stoppers in your area?? You'd think you could report these folks for many reasons. Sorry for your troubles. Look at it this way....one down two too go...Hopefully things improve. Have your cop buddies over for a bar b que weekly.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:47 PM

10,047 posts, read 18,069,717 times
I still don't understand why some action can't be taken against the LL? (And I speak AS a LL.) Several have suggested it but OP, was it not a possibility?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate