Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 01:52 PM

20 posts, read 78,892 times

Advertisements

Greetings,

We are first time home buyers and our agent agreed to only take 1.5% of total 3% buyer agent commission and return the rest 1.5% to us towards closing cost.
He said he would submit a broker letter after we sign the contract. We donot have any written agreement though, only verbal

Please advise how this works.
1. Is it realistic, has anybody done this before?
2. Is there any time line to produce the broker letter as we have already signed the contract and builder can start building anytime in 2 weeks.

Many Thanks!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 02:10 PM

1,835 posts, read 3,264,565 times
I have always put the language in my representation agreement.

Under the special or other provisions section in the listing agreements I always write:

"Broker shall concede back to Buyer at the time of closing one half (1/2) of the brokers total commission, not to exceed three percent (3%) of the total sales price"

I also make the broker or agent initial the paragraph or page containing the clause so as to avoid any confusion that I just hid it in the contract and they did not know about it.

If you have an honest broker it should not be a problem, but if the circumstances change it could be a he said/she said battle, in which case he will win b/c he has a signed contract. Personally I would just ask the broker to make a modification to the current agreement, or just toss the old one and sign a new one containing the proper terms.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:23 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
So you already signed the contract and have nothing in writing from your agent? That sounds like trouble.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:28 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,676,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by manderly6 View Post
So you already signed the contract and have nothing in writing from your agent? That sounds like trouble.
Seriously? everyone isn't a shark... most people honor their word.

Old 08-16-2012, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Seriously? everyone isn't a shark... most people honor their word.
Tell that to every agent who wants their client to sign an exclusive agreement with them. Can't they just take their client's word?

Even you are admitting it could be a problem by saying "most". I'm sure it doesn't ease the pain of the few getting screwed by knowing that "most" didn't.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Tell that to every agent who wants their client to sign an exclusive agreement with them. Can't they just take their client's word?

Even you are admitting it could be a problem by saying "most". I'm sure it doesn't ease the pain of the few getting screwed by knowing that "most" didn't.
They already signed.

It's over!

Either the agent is honest, or they aren't, but grumbling about it afterwards is kinda silly.

NJ must be a scary place.

Old 08-16-2012, 03:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
They already signed.

It's over!

Either the agent is honest, or they aren't, but grumbling about it afterwards is kinda silly.

NJ must be a scary place.
This has nothing to do with NJ. You get things in writing. Surely you aren't arguing otherwise, are you?

Old 08-16-2012, 04:36 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
I rebated a buyer $8500 on a handshake in my last transaction. But if I had promised that and not delivered, I'd probably be out of business a month later.

Old 08-16-2012, 04:53 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,464,975 times
I don't think agents in my office ever bother to sign something that says that they will rebate their clients x amount, or contribute to closing costs, or pay for the home warranty or whatever. It has always been a verbal thing, and because they are honest, it always really happens.

That said, I will say that if a client ever asked for it in writing, we would happily provide something. It isn't a bad thing to have, especially since you aren't technically your agent's client. You are technically the broker's client, through the agent (at least in my state), so what if your agent quit the business, and the broker reassigned you and the new agent didn't agree to the arrangement, and the broker said they didn't know anything about it? There is also the issue that the commission is technically the broker's, not the agent's, so the broker usually has to approve any reductions/rebates.

I don't think it is out of line to request the promised broker approval form. Just approach it that you want to make sure all your ducks are in a row so there aren't any surprises after the house is finished.

Old 08-16-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
This has nothing to do with NJ. You get things in writing. Surely you aren't arguing otherwise, are you?
I'm saying you don't go all "Judge Judy" on someone who is gifting you their earned comission.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate