Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 07:11 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times

Advertisements

There's no reason to allow 15 days for an inspection, I'd suggest cutting the time down to five days. Then you're not off the market forever while a buyer dinks around. I think that would be a lot more feasible than making the reasons for walking "airtight".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2012, 07:38 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,110,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by venicebeachcalifornia View Post
What is deemed "unreasonable"? You pretty much have to tear down the whole house and rebuild it just to keep these "perfectionist" buyers happy. Is there anything I can do to screen out these tire kickers because everytime I accept an offer my house is off the market for 2 weeks?
So don't take it off the market. Until you're past the point where all bargaining is complete, there is no final contract and your house should not be off the market.

Quote:
What makes me mad is the buyer wants out by merely stating problems with the deck, siding and windows but WITHOUT giving the specifics. The deck is structurally sound. The contingencies are for major major problems only and not for nitpickings or a way to weasel out of the contract. In addition, he had multiple viewings before making the offer so these flaws should come as no surprise. He also refuses to give me a copy of the inspection report claiming it's his property. My agent says the home inspector is old fashioned and unprofessional with the report written in illegible handwriting. I think there's shenanigan going on. I think the buyer is trying to bottom fish and want to use any convenient excuse to get out. He made me jump through the hoops and can get out of the contract on a whim. What legal recourse do I have?
If you didn't help pay for the inspection report, it IS his property; the buyer paid for it, not you. I backed out of 3 contracts based on the inspection. One Seller gave me a hard time about returning my earnest money demanding to know what was in MY report. I said the report was for sale and because of his agent trying to bully me, it was his for full price and the return of my earnest money BEFORE I turned over the report. That house had more problems than a fish out of water. I don't understand how or why my property becomes available to another person in AZ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
There's no reason to allow 15 days for an inspection, I'd suggest cutting the time down to five days. Then you're not off the market forever while a buyer dinks around. I think that would be a lot more feasible than making the reasons for walking "airtight".
Oh excuse me. All buyers have an inspector hanging around waiting to jump on our request. And what about the situation where the inspection raises a concern and the need for a different inspection. 5 days is nuts.

As for language in the contract, in both NY state and TN where we were house hunting, we insisted on using my language for the inspection which gave me the right to walk with no explanation based on the inspector's report. I don't "play the game". You know what's wrong, I'm not negotiating another time to get things fixed that should have been fixed before.

Old 08-27-2012, 07:44 PM

409 posts, read 873,663 times
Where I live you have a 15 day option period in which you can cancel anytime for any reason with full refund of the earnest money. The buyer submits the offer in a contract form. If the seller counters with a contract which says you can only cancel the contract for this reason, that reason, ect., I would run away. Because that tells me the seller knows something is wrong with the house.

I don't think a buyer expects a 15 year house to be in A1 condition, but repairing a roof or deck is expensive. If there is a lot of inventory where you and it's a buyer's market, I suggest you follow the other poster's advice. Get your house inspected and get the major items fixed.

Btw, the next time you get an offer, why don't you leave your house on the market and keep showing it until the inspections are over?

Old 08-27-2012, 08:02 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,189,517 times
Quote:
I usually recommend 8 days, that gets us through a weekend if needed. Many times Inspectors in a busy market can be booked 3-4 days and 5 days is cutting it short to negotiate repairs and maybe get estimates.

Old 08-27-2012, 08:26 PM

6,341 posts, read 14,687,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
So don't take it off the market. Until you're past the point where all bargaining is complete, there is no final contract and your house should not be off the market.

If you didn't help pay for the inspection report, it IS his property; the buyer paid for it, not you. I backed out of 3 contracts based on the inspection. One Seller gave me a hard time about returning my earnest money demanding to know what was in MY report. I said the report was for sale and because of his agent trying to bully me, it was his for full price and the return of my earnest money BEFORE I turned over the report. That house had more problems than a fish out of water. I don't understand how or why my property becomes available to another person in AZ.

Oh excuse me. All buyers have an inspector hanging around waiting to jump on our request. And what about the situation where the inspection raises a concern and the need for a different inspection. 5 days is nuts.

As for language in the contract, in both NY state and TN where we were house hunting, we insisted on using my language for the inspection which gave me the right to walk with no explanation based on the inspector's report. I don't "play the game". You know what's wrong, I'm not negotiating another time to get things fixed that should have been fixed before.
If you walked on three different properties after inspections, you are the problem, not the house.

Old 08-27-2012, 09:43 PM

15,578 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
If you walked on three different properties after inspections, you are the problem, not the house.
No it just means they didn't have an agent pointing out obvious issues. I've had a client walk twice over home inspection report after repair negotiations failed, in my 8 years as an agent. I just point out the obvious and we get quotes before we write an offer or we negotiate with those repairs in mind. That way they don't waste any money on home inspections.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:52 PM

125 posts, read 495,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonegg View Post

Btw, the next time you get an offer, why don't you leave your house on the market and keep showing it until the inspections are over?
It's not allowed if you accept the offer. The seller always gets the short end of the stick, especially in this slow buyer's market.

Old 08-27-2012, 10:58 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,802,978 times
Quote:
It's not allowed if you accept the offer. The seller always gets the short end of the stick, especially in this slow buyer's market.
Contract matter. Do it however you want on a counter. Nothing prevents that...except the buyer may not like it...

Old 08-27-2012, 11:41 PM

125 posts, read 495,928 times
I think the buyer is buying another house and using whatever excuse he can get to get out of the contract. He's breathing down my listing agent's neck to get me sign the release so he can get his earnest money back.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:18 AM

210 posts, read 576,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
No it just means they didn't have an agent pointing out obvious issues. I've had a client walk twice over home inspection report after repair negotiations failed, in my 8 years as an agent. I just point out the obvious and we get quotes before we write an offer or we negotiate with those repairs in mind. That way they don't waste any money on home inspections.
Buyers are spending relatively little on a home inspection compared to what their spending. That way they are not wasting their money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate