Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2012, 03:33 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,085,061 times

Advertisements

If you have let part of it go, why and what percent of it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2012, 03:43 PM

2,620 posts, read 7,390,802 times
I had my office reduce the commision on a small purchase ($150,000) $750 of the top to make it work. Otherwise, the condo association would have foreclosed on the unit. The listing agent's office kicked in the same $, and we had both closing attorneys and my clients lender contribute to make the happen.
Another short sale I did about 1.5 years ago, the bank paid a higher than the typical commision out for some reason.
I am doing a short sale now that should that should closing in the 2.5 weeks. We are getting the full typical amount of commision.

Old 08-31-2012, 04:42 PM

5,663 posts, read 10,678,943 times
I had it happen once when the attorney I referred my seller to volunteered a portion of my commission to the lender in order to make the deal. Of course, he didn't reduce his fee. I had no choice but to accept it but it was the last time I gave out the guy's name again.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:13 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,958,135 times
Most our listings for short sales will have a commission set, then the words "any reduction in commission will be split 50/50 with buyers agent". Not much we can do about it if the bank comes in lower than the listing rate.

I have pitched in some money towards a utility lien that was recorded after the prelim title was run. Didn't love it, but it got the deal closed.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:47 PM

8,046 posts, read 28,369,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Most our listings for short sales will have a commission set, then the words "any reduction in commission will be split 50/50 with buyers agent". Not much we can do about it if the bank comes in lower than the listing rate.

I have pitched in some money towards a utility lien that was recorded after the prelim title was run. Didn't love it, but it got the deal closed.
This, exactly.

We've had several that were listed at 3% offered to each agent, but the bank came back and was only willing to pay a total of 5%, so both sides reduced by 1/2%.

In my opinion (not an agent, just work a desk in a real estate office), short sales should pay far more (like 10%), not less, to each side. They are 100 times more work than a normal sale.

Old 08-31-2012, 05:53 PM

4,511 posts, read 13,532,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NinaN View Post
Most our listings for short sales will have a commission set, then the words "any reduction in commission will be split 50/50 with buyers agent". Not much we can do about it if the bank comes in lower than the listing rate. ...
Such comments are not allowed in our MLS. The listing agent has to offer a fixed co-broke fee (% or $). If the bank comes back lower, then the listing agent is still responsible for paying the full co-broke. Of course, that does not prevent the agents from negotiating reductions as necessary to make a deal happen, but not required.

Old 08-31-2012, 08:46 PM

15,500 posts, read 40,211,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjrcm View Post
Such comments are not allowed in our MLS. The listing agent has to offer a fixed co-broke fee (% or $). If the bank comes back lower, then the listing agent is still responsible for paying the full co-broke. Of course, that does not prevent the agents from negotiating reductions as necessary to make a deal happen, but not required.
Our MLS doesn't allow it either, but we also have a clause that the buyer agent can't come after the listing agent if the listing agent doesn't have a way to collect. Mine have always given me my fee, but I don't do 100's of them. Aurora Bank has a very clear policy that isn't negotiable.

Old 08-31-2012, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Our MLS doesn't allow it either, but we also have a clause that the buyer agent can't come after the listing agent if the listing agent doesn't have a way to collect. Mine have always given me my fee, but I don't do 100's of them. Aurora Bank has a very clear policy that isn't negotiable.
A lot of agents here get around it by only offering a co-broke that is very likely to be allowed by the bank, such as 2.5%. In some cases, the listing agent will get more than the buyer agent if the bank is willing to pay a higher overall fee.

Old 09-01-2012, 12:03 PM

63,919 posts, read 46,468,992 times
My MLS allows the caveat ( 50-50 on the final fee) for shorts and it's almost always a part of a short sale listing.

2.5% is the most common co-op in my area, regardless of the type of sale.

Shorts rarely close with less.

Old 09-01-2012, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by middle-aged mom View Post
...2.5% is the most common co-op in my area, regardless of the type of sale....
3% historically has been more common here, but with all the short sales, 2.5% is not unusual.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate