Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-01-2012, 06:19 PM

12,767 posts, read 14,959,782 times

Advertisements

What are all the homebuying programs for TEACHERS out there? Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 06:21 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,603,990 times
Do you have a local credit union for teachers where you live? They should be able to give you the best information. Or a realtor.

Old 09-01-2012, 06:28 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,392,021 times
A lending broker is most likely your best source of information.

I do not think there are any special mortgages just for teachers, though.

Mortgage Loans for Teachers: Are They Different?

Old 09-01-2012, 06:32 PM

3,720 posts, read 9,994,639 times
Yes, this is best a question for mortgage brokers. Depending on where you are looking to buy, in CA you could potentially qualify for CHDAP or USDA loans which allow you to purchase with no money down. But the specifics are best answered by a mortgage broker.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:57 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
I think you are thinking of the GNND, Good Neighbor Next Door program, which is for fire fighters, teachers, and police officers. This is a HUD program wherein you purchase a HUD home that is within a specific census tract. HUD will write down 50% of your principal over 3 or 5 years (can't remember which), and you have to live in the house at least three years.

Old 09-04-2012, 07:55 PM

41,948 posts, read 75,144,160 times
Are teachers more special than the rest of us?

Old 09-05-2012, 08:09 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
Are teachers more special than the rest of us?
They really do think so and expect special stuff and they don't even have to be a good teacher to expect it. Sorry, Iv' had kids in our schools, mostly I'm not impressed. Good teachers are very rare.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:00 PM

487 posts, read 1,357,622 times
The best Home buying program for Teachers I have heard about is called Homeowner101.
It is a very involved program but I will try to provide a brief synopsis.
Teachers that want to buy a home should live within their means.
that means the Debt they carry should be a reasonably low percentage of their total income.
For Teachers I think the program recommends you not have total debt payments in excess of 40% of your gross Teachers Income.
Gross Teachers Income is calculated after the deduction of your Teachers Union Dues.
Another requirement for Teachers wanting to buy a home is to have saved up a down payment.
The recommended Down payment for teachers is 20%. But some Teachers may qualify for a smaller down payment.
Another thing that is often required by lenders is that Teachers are expected to be able to show 4 to 6 months of reserve money in the bank after purchasing their home. For some inexplicable reason the bank will generally not count your teachers Union pension as part of your reserves.
Teachers with more time on the job and with a stable teaching history will find it easier to get one of these Teachers Real-estate loans.
Teachers with any defaulted loans or late payments in the last 7 years of teaching may not qualify for this program.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:15 PM

3,463 posts, read 5,657,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
They really do think so and expect special stuff and they don't even have to be a good teacher to expect it. Sorry, Iv' had kids in our schools, mostly I'm not impressed. Good teachers are very rare.
How would this nonsense sound if you replaced it with "Real Estate Agents" ?

Ive had some horrific dealings with RE agents in three states, but still would not broadbrush the entire industry based on that. If you want to see the problem with teachers, look in the mirror. Teachers are held to a standard no other profession would accept as status quo. If most parents had to spend as much time with their own kids as their teachers do, they would jump off a bridge.

Old 09-05-2012, 01:26 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkat59 View Post
How would this nonsense sound if you replaced it with "Real Estate Agents" ?

Ive had some horrific dealings with RE agents in three states, but still would not broadbrush the entire industry based on that. If you want to see the problem with teachers, look in the mirror. Teachers are held to a standard no other profession would accept as status quo. If most parents had to spend as much time with their own kids as their teachers do, they would jump off a bridge.
I stay off the education forum for a reason.

I would agree with you that most real estate agents aren't very good. The difference is we don't look around for special stuff for real estate agents, because there isn't any, we know that and we don't expect it. After getting all of the benefits teachers get they still look for special teacher stuff everywhere and there are those that praise teachers simply for being teachers. That would be like praising all realtors just for having the license. For the few great teachers I have known I raise my hat to them, but I wish teachers would quit asking for and receiving special stuff, because most of them are not special.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate