Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2012, 08:03 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,854,254 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information about how sewage lines operate as they pass through greenbelt areas? Where do they go from there? Is this smell a processed smell, or just pure sewage? It obviously is not that bad so I doubt it could be pure sewage, but you definitely notice it when you are around it.

I'm sure that it is not noticeable in neighborhoods, but it is found in adjacent greenbelts. Often there are recreational trails located there.

I appreciate any info. Or, point me to a website that would help with this. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 06:09 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Many of our greenways follow sewer line easements. It seems that the strongest odors are in low-lying areas where air does not move as well.
It is raw sewage, and the smell comes from manholes with ventilated covers.

Old 09-05-2012, 10:06 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,302,067 times
Sanitary sewers aren't supposed to ventilate. Wastewater treatment folks do the best they can to prevent infiltration of fresh water into their systems. Any ventilation is also a path for fresh water to enter the system

My guess is what is likely causing the odor is decomposing vegetation in the damper areas of the greenbelt. AKA in some areas as swamp gas.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:12 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,473,858 times
Maybe there is a sewage line break that nobody knows about. Also possible that it is natural smell that occurs at various times of the year due to rain, humidity, decomposing plants or possibly a wetland that has swampy smells under certain conditions.

Or a sewer treatment plant nearby that you are smelling. Some subdivisions have their own private sewer treatment plant and outside folks would hardly know about it. They could get smelly on hot days under certain conditions.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:20 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
Sanitary sewers aren't supposed to ventilate. Wastewater treatment folks do the best they can to prevent infiltration of fresh water into their systems. Any ventilation is also a path for fresh water to enter the system

My guess is what is likely causing the odor is decomposing vegetation in the damper areas of the greenbelt. AKA in some areas as swamp gas.
"Ventilated" may be a bad choice of words, but the manhole covers are perforated with multiple 1"+/- diameter holes.

Old 09-05-2012, 12:44 PM

422 posts, read 1,474,902 times
R u talking about marshes? They do smell cos of the decaying plants and stuff. I live right next to the marsh and I do smell a foul oder every once in awhile....and previously I was living right on the water at a bay area with marsh and it was also smelling

Old 09-05-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Many of our greenways follow sewer line easements. It seems that the strongest odors are in low-lying areas where air does not move as well.
It is raw sewage, and the smell comes from manholes with ventilated covers.
Yes, I forgot to mention that it is near those manholes.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post

I had actually thought it might be something like that because it does smell a little like vegetation. But maybe it's a combination, or both at different spots.

Old 09-06-2012, 10:10 AM

2,401 posts, read 4,682,095 times
Sooo...
And the government wants everyone on "mass sewage system" because it is "greener" for the rivers????
And yet there is no "massive natural plants" or trees within these suburbs / cities that can absorb that waste naturally to convert it to energy food source for plants hence cut down on its "pollution"????

That "circle of life study"????
How many of our children actually study that cycle of life??? Soil - seed - plant - animal - humans etc. cycle???

Yet, Our man-made (human's way not natural way) way is best????
To force people out of country into packed cities????
& its mass water & sewage systems????

Yah.

I drink water from my own well as did my neighbours who have lived their whole life here (since they were farm kids) of 70 plus years (both healthy people drinking their own well waters). And our sewage system is right in our own back yard....

I'd say... if our own well water is polluted, it will only poison 1 family... ours.
But...
when a mass water system affects all its users... it will be a "mass" nightmare shutdown!!!

And yah... the country's well pollutes its environment with its mass land as a "neutralizer"????
Indeed!

Are modern humans are just mindless fools who let others "think" for them that they are soooo lazy to think for themselves that they buy into all these hype so there will be another "control" to their free lives????

So SAD!

P.S. Just like the whole "organic food hype"... duh!!!
Every living plants IS organic.
Even meat unless humans processed it unnaturally with human created / generated substances.
Yes, even humans themselves are "organic" unless they are really "robots".

Buy into much a sales "pitch" yet???
Who has that money from that sale is "smiling" now...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate