Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 09:04 AM

15,620 posts, read 40,639,421 times

Advertisements

I understand the point of your idea, but it won't accomplish what you want.

What you really are wanting to do is be offering them an incentive to negotiate down from market value for a particular property. So if the market value is around $500k, you want to offer them an incentive to get it for you for $450,000. If the market value is really $600,000 then you want to offer them an incentive to get it for you for $540,000.

You are trying to eliminate one bias and in doing so create another bias. You want to reward your agent for negotiating hard for you regardless of purchase price. That is what I think you are trying to accomplish, right?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 09:05 AM

204 posts, read 339,443 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
There are enough agents who know the value of their service that will easily discount their fees and the quality of service to you.
Discount? Yes, there are plenty of agents willing to discount their services because they aren't experienced. I am not interested in them. Under this proposal, the commission can be higher than 3%, which means I would be paying them more. I want an agent who will find more house for less, and am willing to pay them more for this if they do.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
What you really are wanting to do is be offering them an incentive to negotiate down from market value for a particular property. So if the market value is around $500k, you want to offer them an incentive to get it for you for $450,000. If the market value is really $600,000 then you want to offer them an incentive to get it for you for $540,000.

You are trying to eliminate one bias and in doing so create another bias. You want to reward your agent for negotiating hard for you regardless of purchase price. That is what I think you are trying to accomplish, right?
Yes, I want the compensation scheme to have two features 1) provide an incentive to negotiate down on price. 2) provide an incentive to try and find a house near the lower end of my range rather than at the higher end.

One agent I talked to (he was our second choice -- helped that he had an econ degree) counter-proposed a scheme based upon how far below list price he was able to negotiate. I liked that he understood what I was trying to accomplish, but it lacked feature #2 above.

I considered a formula with both a price range term and a list price term, but decided that would be way too complicated. As long as there's a negative sign in front of salesPrice, both features are accomplished. The incentive for negotiation doesn't have to be strong, it just has to be there.

What bias have I created?

Last edited by perfectlyGoodInk; 09-05-2012 at 10:28 AM..

Old 09-05-2012, 10:32 AM

6,957 posts, read 22,387,194 times
I kind of like the outside the box idea and I'd certainly would entertain the concept if it was presented to me by a buyer. I also think it's pretty clever of the agent to suggest a 100% rebate and a follow up adjustment which could be submitted to the escrow agent for payment in escrow.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by perfectlyGoodInk View Post
Yes, I want the compensation scheme to have two features 1) provide an incentive to negotiate down on price. 2) provide an incentive to try and find a house near the lower end of my range rather than at the higher end.

One agent I talked to (he was our second choice -- helped that he had an econ degree) counter-proposed a scheme based upon how far below list price he was able to negotiate. I liked that he understood what I was trying to accomplish, but it lacked feature #2 above.

I considered a formula with both a price range term and a list price term, but decided that would be way too complicated. As long as there's a negative sign in front of salesPrice, both features are accomplished. The incentive for negotiation doesn't have to be strong, it just has to be there.

What bias have I created?
To only show you homes in your lower price range since they get paid more.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMenscha View Post
I kind of like the outside the box idea and I'd certainly would entertain the concept if it was presented to me by a buyer. I also think it's pretty clever of the agent to suggest a 100% rebate and a follow up adjustment which could be submitted to the escrow agent for payment in escrow.
To do it that way is the cleanest way. Since we can't rebate in Oregon, I'm not sure how I would handle it. I'd have to waive part of the fee if it was higher than what I had agreed to with a buyer, but then I'd want that as a price reduction for my buyer not going to the listing agent. It doesn't make sense to have those commission dollars in play going to the listing agent.

I would probably only entertain it, if we agreed that I would just waive the buyer agent compensation on the MLS and the buyer paid me directly. The listing agent would still be entitled to the full listing fee, so I think I'd just try and get that percentage in closing costs, or more repair work for the buyer. Not sure.

Now that I'm talking though it, I don't think I would entertain it.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Yes, but we prefer that bias over the standard scheme's bias to only show me homes in my higher price range. Since the agent is only paid if we close on a home, they will want to find us a home we like even if it's higher than the minPrice.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Yes, but we prefer that bias over the standard scheme's bias to only show me homes in my higher price range. Since the agent is only paid if we close on a home, they will want to find us a home we like even if it's higher than the minPrice.
Why don't you just find a good, ethical agent that cares about customer service more than a $500 incentive? That way bias is gone.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
Why don't you just find a good, ethical agent that cares about customer service more than a $500 incentive? That way bias is gone.
That was actually part of the point. It's hard to tell agents apart, because all of them will claim to be good and ethical (indeed, this is a signaling problem). I figured a good test would be to present this scheme. A good, ethical agent would understand that it is fair and agree to it. We ran far away from any agent that either claimed their services were free or complained that we weren't trusting them enough. We lucked out in that we found an agent who had already been thinking about how to implement this cleanly, and I'll ask them if they have any ideas about how to do this in Oregon.

We're still curious to see how it would work in practice and also interested in creating a template for other buyers and agents to use. If our agent understands the standard scheme is backwards, there are probably other agents who do as well. That's part of why I want feedback.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:58 AM

43,548 posts, read 77,623,278 times
Quote:
Quote:
That was actually part of the point. It's hard to tell agents apart, because all of them will claim to be good and ethical (indeed, this is a signaling problem). I figured a good test would be to present this scheme. A good, ethical agent would understand that it is fair and agree to it. We ran far away from any agent that either claimed their services were free or complained that we weren't trusting them enough. We lucked out in that we found an agent who had already been thinking about how to implement this cleanly, and I'll ask them if they have any ideas about how to do this in Oregon.

We're still curious to see how it would work in practice and also interested in creating a template for other buyers and agents to use. If our agent understands the standard scheme is backwards, there are probably other agents who do as well. That's part of why I want feedback.
"A good, ethical agent would understand that it is fair and agree to it."
Not really. It would only become "fair" if the agent agrees to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate