Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2012, 04:24 PM

28,113 posts, read 63,638,166 times

Advertisements

I've bought and sold a number of homes over the last 30 years... never had an agent refuse to take an offer.

The single family home was built by someone I did business with and someone that was just a nice all around good guy. He passed and his widow decided to downsize...

I found out about it the Monday after the one and only open house... the agent told me she was expecting an offer any minute from someone that viewed the property the previous day with their own agent... same office and they had already rejected contingent offers... mine would not be contingent, except for 5 days due diligence.

Anyway, the home would be ideal for my needs... living, hobby and business and told her so.

She said she would keep it in mind in the remote chance the deal pending falls through.

As mentioned, I know the seller and was friends with her husband... so I called her to wish her well and she asked for my number.

The listing agent now refuses to speak with me...

Seems odd that first she declined to look at my full price offer and now mad that I would speak directly to the seller...

Any merit going directly to the broker with my offer? Many homes around here fail to close... although this one is meticulously kept...

I'm acting only as a principal... no expectation or demand on the commission by me or if someone was to represent me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2012, 04:26 PM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
Are you a licensed agent?

Old 09-07-2012, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Are you a licensed agent?
No I am not... everyone else in the family is... just not me.

I started working for a property management company in 1982 and then started managing my own rentals ever since.

I passed the CA Real Estate Exam, background and education requirement just to prove a point to my brothers... never sent in the money for the license and have bought with and without brokerage... although, I wrote my own offers for each and every purchase.

I had a fantastic agent back in the 80's and 90's... she would call me when ever something crossed her desk that she thought might interest me... they were often properties with problems and just the kind I liked.

I think I might have helped the sale along because in the interim, the buyer was out of contract till the agent told her the seller had someone ready to buy... based on that, all contingencies were removed, reports approved... leaving only funding per the listing agent.

Last edited by Ultrarunner; 09-07-2012 at 04:41 PM..

Old 09-07-2012, 05:00 PM

15,570 posts, read 40,404,923 times
I would sent the offer registered email so that you can confirm receipt and that it was opened. If she fails to present it, than that is a licensing issue to be dealt with a broker to be notified.

I was just asking since you said no demand on commission and only licensees can have commission demands. It would be a problem if you were licensed and called the seller even if you were friends.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:45 PM

4,567 posts, read 10,649,039 times
Just walk up to the door and talk to the seller about your offer and the fact the agent wont accept it. No reason to use the realtor in a situation like this. You have nothing to loose. If you get rejected, who cares.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I would sent the offer registered email so that you can confirm receipt and that it was opened. If she fails to present it, than that is a licensing issue to be dealt with a broker to be notified.

I was just asking since you said no demand on commission and only licensees can have commission demands. It would be a problem if you were licensed and called the seller even if you were friends.
The commission part is to avoid her thinking she would have to split it with one of my broker family members...

I noticed today the property is marked sold at the address and online because pending was generating to much interest... per her assistant.

Thanks Silverfall... you are always generous with your expertise...

Old 09-07-2012, 07:08 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
Ultra... you always give good advice with your posts over the years, thanks.

Do you know the widow? Can you call her direct and discuss ? Since you're not an agent you really don't need to follow the protocol we do and deal with her agent. As mentioned above, you have nothing to lose.

The widow may be in grief and want to keep it as simple as possible by taking the 1st full price offer. If she's elderly she may just want stress free and quick.

Old 09-07-2012, 07:10 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,822,829 times
Tell the realtor to get on the stick and submit your offer ... or you will get another realtor to submit it directly to the broker ... which will cut realtor one's commission in half.

Old 09-07-2012, 09:32 PM

Her husband and I were friends... I only knew her casually.

She did remember me when I called and I only had the number to call because it was in my personal phone book.

She is 75... very astute and really looking to be near her Grandchildren... already bought a very nice smaller home a few minutes from her Son...

To be honest... I was not aware her husband had passed two years ago... it happened when I was away on business.

It's hard to find property close in with acreage, a nice home and 3500 square foot shop in the Bay Area... the shop was the dream of her husband and she kept the house and grounds meticulously.

If the buyer fails to perform... I'm ready to step in.

Thanks for the encouragement

Old 09-07-2012, 10:29 PM

40,951 posts, read 49,150,612 times
My son's in the Bay area and they lost bids on 4 homes with the last being $100k over list price. The house they bought they caught it before it went on the market.

You guys must be hot again and prices are going up considerably.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate