Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 PM

8,539 posts, read 13,961,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Seriously, nobody likes a pushy salesmen and that's what you'd get a lot from listing agents being present.
The higher home values around here certainly helps when it comes to being at every showing. If I carried 25-30 listings at a time, I would be making a very good income and I'd probably have assistants which would give the freedom to be at every listing. It's what people expect around here including the buyers.

I would also disagree that having an agent present at the showing is a bad thing. If done right, you can actually help the listing sell. I can think of several instances where the other agent or the buyer has said to me "if you hadn't mention X,Y, and Z my client never would have bought this house." Primarily, it's because we get a lot of agents coming into town who know nothing about the town. I just sold a listing where the buyer's agent is from out of town and the buyers on several occassions have credited me with convincing them to live in this town and ultimately that led to them buying the house.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 03:28 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,022,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokercoop View Post
I'm from NH and it's expected here too. It's a good thing and it benefits both the buyer and seller.

We also don't put up flyer boxes like they do some places.
When in Rome ...

I think it would be cool to practice real estate in a tight little area where a more personal approach could be taken, and I can see how a knowledgeable listing agent could add value to a showing experience without getting in the way or seeming pushy. Especially in an area where most buyers in fact don't know much about the area, such as a retirement destination, beach homes, etc.

In our market in Austin, it's only done with luxury homes. Everything is mostly "Call and Go" where the buyer agent calls the owner-occupant directly, leaves a message "I'll be showing your home later today between 3PM-4PM", then goes and shows it with the Supra lockbox. The seller is expected to be gone.

Steve

Old 09-19-2012, 05:10 PM

40,936 posts, read 49,025,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
In our market in Austin, it's only done with luxury homes. Everything is mostly "Call and Go" where the buyer agent calls the owner-occupant directly, leaves a message "I'll be showing your home later today between 3PM-4PM", then goes and shows it with the Supra lockbox. The seller is expected to be gone.
If you ever go to CSS you'll love the service. I can go on line at 11pm and make appointments. Never have to talk to a seller, agent or CSS and get showing instructions, combos, etc. A Seller can get weekly reports, showing emails / texts and see feed back on their web portal.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:26 PM

10,940 posts, read 21,914,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
If you ever go to CSS you'll love the service. I can go on line at 11pm and make appointments. Never have to talk to a seller, agent or CSS and get showing instructions, combos, etc. A Seller can get weekly reports, showing emails / texts and see feed back on their web portal.
They get feedback and send it and the showing reports out to the seller for the agents? That would be fantastic. Asking for feedback is one of the things I do that I'm not a big fan of.

Old 09-19-2012, 05:44 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 21 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
They get feedback and send it and the showing reports out to the seller for the agents? That would be fantastic. Asking for feedback is one of the things I do that I'm not a big fan of.
Via CSS, I send up to 4 email feedback requests, one a day, to showing agents.
And I let the feedback go directly to my sellers.

It is a great service.
I believe they will also have the phone room call for feedback, at an additional fee.

It is so easy, a listing agent doing something different needs to say why.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:08 PM

40,936 posts, read 49,025,568 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
Via CSS, I send up to 4 email feedback requests, one a day, to showing agents.
And I let the feedback go directly to my sellers.
I have 2 email feedback requests go out a day apart. I have to admit I only respond to about 20% of email FB requests but respond to 0% phone calls for feedback now. It's a lot easier to give a short email response verses return an agents phone call.

Old 09-19-2012, 06:24 PM
Status: "Made the Retirement Run in under 12 parsecs!!!" (set 21 days ago)

43,176 posts, read 76,815,786 times
Quote:
I have 2 email feedback requests go out a day apart. I have to admit I only respond to about 20% of email FB requests but respond to 0% phone calls for feedback now. It's a lot easier to give a short email response verses return an agents phone call.
I'm at this for 7 years now, and don't know anything but CSS.
And I think it is a great service. I wish it was more integrated into CoreLogic/Tempo/Fusion, but CoreLogic is the 800 pound gorilla, and ain't no one going to tell them how to improve service.

I used to use "BR549" for my CSS showing code when calling in for a showing. Easy to say, not like you might confuse "F" with "S" on a bad connection, and BR549 had the added value of being an obvious indicator of my enlightenment and sophistication.
I figured that even with a garbled connection, the operator would catch it. Had a lady just lose it one day, laugh hysterically for about a minute, as soon as I said it.

But this younger generation... How sad. Never have even heard of Junior Sample. Who will lead them from the wilderness and help them appreciate the giants upon whose shoulders we all stand?

Old 09-19-2012, 08:00 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,022,037 times
Quote:
They tried to enter the Austin market but it was a flop. We just didn't get it, nobody bought in.

It's just not that hard to call and leave messages or let an owner know I'm showing. Plus, if the owner tries to beg off, saying it's not a good time, or trying to have me come 2 hours later, I can deal with that myself right then. "That's when we're going to be in your area looking. Do you want me to scratch yours off the list or show it?"

I think they do ok in Houston though. Austin is just weird I guess.

Steve

Old 09-20-2012, 09:08 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,753,411 times
Quote:
They tried to enter the Austin market but it was a flop. We just didn't get it, nobody bought in.

It's just not that hard to call and leave messages or let an owner know I'm showing. Plus, if the owner tries to beg off, saying it's not a good time, or trying to have me come 2 hours later, I can deal with that myself right then. "That's when we're going to be in your area looking. Do you want me to scratch yours off the list or show it?"

Steve
I prefer to have buyer agents call me to coordinate an appointment. This way I'm in the loop, can log the agents name and id number, and ask in advance to provide feedback when I send an email.

I can usually confirm the appointment and tell the agent that it's confirmed unless I call back. Then I quickly confirm it with the seller. For the most part I know the sellers schedule, so this works well for me.

Old 09-20-2012, 11:26 AM

8,539 posts, read 13,961,275 times
Quote:

Steve
We have a company around here called MAPass that sounds a lot like CSS. There are definitely agents that use it, but it's more frequently used in communities where lockbox use is common.

Personally, I put using a company like this in the same category as using a lockbox. Consumers see us doing this and it lowers the value perception of our service. They don't appreciate all the work we do behind the scenes because they don't see it. Then they see us not doing things like showing the house or making the showing appointments and say "what am I paying this person for???"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate