Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: How many trees do you like in your neighborhood?
I prefer to live in a heavily wooded neighborhood 34 64.15%
I prefer a neighborhood with just planted trees with lots of sunlight 19 35.85%
Voters: 53. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 05:35 AM

26 posts, read 53,082 times

Advertisements

In parts of the East Coast, the natural look is forest. In many of the older neighborhoods with larger lots if you flew over the neighborhood it would be hard to find the houses there are so many trees and plants.

But in the newer neighborhoods the developers came in an clearcut the entire forest and plant a few small trees and name the subdivision after the forest that use to be there.

While you can tell they did cut down some trees in the older neighborhoods, it seems like many of them have lots of trees older than the homes themselves, so the developers were less likely to clear cut the entire site while buiding the homes 20 + years ago. The result is a beautiful forest and community.

But these forested neighborhoods have disadvantages too. Less sunlight, too much shade, tree roots get into the foundation of the homes, trees fall in storms, lots of the trees need pruning which gets very expensive. A modern subdivision with fewer trees can look neat and clean and is easier to maintain.

What do you prefer?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2012, 07:05 AM

34,088 posts, read 82,953,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Job Hunter View Post
But in the newer neighborhoods the developers came in an clearcut the entire forest...
Not so much.

Far more common in the last 20-40 years is that the developers have bought already cleared land.
Those lots used to be working farms of one sort or another but haven't been "forest" for 100-200 years.

Quote:
In many of the older neighborhoods with larger lots if you flew over the neighborhood
it would be hard to find the houses there are so many trees and plants.
Or... if you wait long enough the trees planted when the houses are built will mature into a nice canopy.
Just like right here with my 50yo house in what was once a cornfield.

In a few weeks I'll get to deal with the leaves.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:15 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,639,147 times
I have a heavily wooded property but we cleared out the trees to build the house. Still have a heavily wooded property and also loads of sunlight. Your poll makes it seem as if you can't have a wooded lot and lots of sunlight.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:16 AM

989 posts, read 2,855,489 times
I have a wooded lot and love, love, love it. We do have a few "aftermarket" trees that the old owner planted that were threatening the foundation. We cut the roots and if the trees die, they die. We have a trusty tree guy who knocks on our door every year or so to see what work we need done. We normally have some dead or dying trees taken down every two or three years. The only real issue we have is that our next door neighbor isn't quite as diligent and they have some really tall dead trees pretty close to their house. Every so of one of their dead trees will get knocked over in a storm. So far they've been very lucky... I wouldn't trade my treed lot for a cleared lot in a million years. Just my preference.

Old 09-16-2012, 07:33 AM

4,676 posts, read 9,990,623 times
I love old growth trees.

However..................

Having lost a home in a hurricane due to old growth trees..........nothing gets planted now that will grow over 15 feet max. And they're planted away from the house.

Old 09-16-2012, 08:30 AM

1,170 posts, read 1,023,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike1306 View Post
i have a heavily wooded property but we cleared out the trees to build the house. Still have a heavily wooded property and also loads of sunlight. Your poll makes it seem as if you can't have a wooded lot and lots of sunlight.
+1 we are on 12 acres 10 minutes from our City's shopping mall but there are no trees within 30 feet of the house (for wind and fire safety).

Old 09-16-2012, 09:36 AM

3,463 posts, read 5,659,395 times
I bought our latest house based on its history of previous owners letting the lot grow out naturally. Lots of trees. I wouldnt have it any other way. They provide shade, privacy and are a haven for birds. There is a definite calming effect. But, and its a huge "but", in three years, we have had serious issues with them vs tornadoes. They have fallen on the house, my car and pruning limbs after every wind event is standard fare. Still, would not change a thing. In fact, planting more. If you go with trees, be very aware of what's in your insurance policy so you aren't surprised when you have a major issue with one.

Old 09-16-2012, 10:14 AM

15,575 posts, read 40,425,076 times
I have about 10 huge trees on my .20 acre lot. Most are 20 feet away from the house except for one large oak that shades the house. We bought the house because of the large trees. We had two new construction homes before this house. I find most buyers don't like the clear cut look of new subdivisions and the lots where the builder could save some trees sell the fastest and those homes tend to resell quickly.

I do have the arborist out every 3-4 years to inspect the health of the trees and remove dead limbs. Part of the maintenance, IMO.

Old 09-16-2012, 01:19 PM

1,101 posts, read 2,735,144 times
Pluses: Peace and quiet, privacy, lots of nature (birds, animals, etc.), less lawn to mow
Minuses: Unwanted animals and bugs, high cost to remove trees that could fall on house, distance from civilization

Old 09-16-2012, 03:22 PM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
We have several 100' tall trees on our property and other than windstorm debris no problems. The conifers we have here do not send roots into the sewers or under the foundations anyway, plus we get a lot of rain so the roots remain shallow. There are about 8 homes under this canopy.
Attached Thumbnails
Would you buy a home in a very heavily wooded neighborhood?-aerial.jpg  
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate