Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2012, 10:36 PM

2,064 posts, read 4,434,781 times

Advertisements

i usually ignore them (as the seller).

but i have a fairly low bar when it comes to lowball. usually i would say that any offer that is as much as 10% less is worthy of a counter. i.e., on a million dollar home, $900k or above. but an offer of $500k? i'd ignore it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2012, 10:42 AM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVD90277 View Post
i usually ignore them (as the seller).

but i have a fairly low bar when it comes to lowball. usually i would say that any offer that is as much as 10% less is worthy of a counter. i.e., on a million dollar home, $900k or above. but an offer of $500k? i'd ignore it.
I don't think there's a magic percentage.

If a seller has priced the home 25% higher than sold comps in the neighborhood and the buyer comes in offering 30% below asking price? That's still a better offer to home value ratio than someone who offers you 10% below a house you priced in line with sold comps, yes?

Old 09-18-2012, 11:04 AM

6,478 posts, read 10,347,099 times
In my opinion, unless otherwise instructed by the seller, all offers (including low ball offers) should be presented. If the seller chooses to ignore them, that is their business.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:06 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Well, I just had one yesterday. 15% below list price.
Seller said "thanks, but no thanks", and we didn't formally counter.

I did call the agent and explain to him that we appreciate the offer, but the home is already the lowest priced in the area, and a good value at list price. I invited him and his buyer to submit a new offer based on current market activity and told him I'd be happy to share with him the comparable sales that I think are the closets matches.

The response, "so, the seller isn't willing to at least meet us half way?". No, he's not. Send a new higher offer and we'll go from there.

Steve

Steve

Old 09-18-2012, 02:19 PM

157 posts, read 327,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

I did call the agent and explain to him that we appreciate the offer, but the home is already the lowest priced in the area, and a good value at list price. I invited him and his buyer to submit a new offer based on current market activity and told him I'd be happy to share with him the comparable sales that I think are the closets matches.

The response, "so, the seller isn't willing to at least meet us half way?". No, he's not. Send a new higher offer and we'll go from there.

Steve

Steve
Here comes the emotional factor we all talk about!
If I were that Buyer responding to seller/ listing agent message (and I currently am a Buyer and a recent Seller ) I would have reflected right back to seller- thx but no thx and move on. As a seller I would have kept the negotiations going with a counter. The perceived message from the Seller is arrogant to
me which would have been enough for me to stop negotiation or even reconsider a new offer.
Plenty of volume out there. Sellers loss.

Old 09-18-2012, 02:51 PM

6,333 posts, read 18,055,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSailor View Post
If I were that Buyer responding to seller/ listing agent message (and I currently am a Buyer and a recent Seller ) I would have reflected right back to seller- thx but no thx and move on. As a seller I would have kept the negotiations going with a counter. The perceived message from the Seller is arrogant to
me which would have been enough for me to stop negotiation or even reconsider a new offer.
Move on to what? The next cheapest home in this high demand area is priced 13% higher, and is a junker, as are the ones even higher.

What you describe doing if you were the buyer - offering 15% below list price then being insulted by no counter - is to me a better example of the "emotional factor we all talk about" than the seller's response. He's not going to sell it that low, or even close to that low, and he simply informed the buyer of that fact. How is that "emotional"?

Steve

Old 09-18-2012, 03:15 PM

20,958 posts, read 45,400,512 times
Annapolissailor, you say that there is "plenty of volume out there", but in this area, inventory is down, there are multiple offer situations regularly (depending on price range), and buyers who think it's still last year are losing out.

And Steve's right in his assessment of where the emotion appears to be in your case. From what Steve says, the seller simply knows that his house is already the best priced on the market and that the offer indicated a buyer who is not serious given the market here.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:43 PM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnapolisSailor View Post
It's nothing emotional. As a seller Iv' done that very thing more than once. It just depends. Other times I have countered with the lowest price I will go and told them so.

Old 09-18-2012, 03:46 PM

157 posts, read 327,763 times
Hi Austinsteve & TxHorselady - Both points well taken.

My reference to emotional factor was directed at both buyers and sellers more generally speaking.
Like politics, all real estate is local.
The region of our current home search as buyers is Coastal Maine (saltwater shorefront) where there is more than a sufficient supply of volume, hope that helps explain my specific situation and therefore perspective. Thanks for your valuable professional insights as we move forward in our home search.

This is a helpful thread topic for both buyer and sellers to gain a better understanding of the so-called low ball offer.

Old 09-18-2012, 08:52 PM

34,938 posts, read 36,253,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post

Steve

Steve
Why not just counter?

Why feel insulted. It's a house, not someone's firstborn.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate