Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 09:40 PM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times

Advertisements

I don't necessarily think they're "scripted", because average people would not be that good at acting. However, they're definitely "set up", as in: The buyers are usually sitting in a coffee shop with camera crew handy when they get the fake call from the agent responding to their offer. Or on "Millionaire Listing", they always happen to catch Josh Altman at the end of a fake cellphone convo saying something generic like, "Well, the deal's not done 'til the money's in escrow...OK, gotta go". They all have their predictable formats so you know they're set up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2012, 05:49 AM

1,035 posts, read 2,060,791 times
Lol @ the calls. Those always seem the most "phony" to me like they've already done a dozen takes. They never feel genuine.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:33 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,818,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I don't necessarily think they're "scripted", because average people would not be that good at acting................ They all have their predictable formats so you know they're set up.
Enough takes and most people can manage one sentence. Notice how for a while every couple "threw one out"?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 09-20-2012, 02:23 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
Here's the blog for the House Hunters International: Kyrgyzstan episode:

House Hunters International

Quote:
So if you’re in the US, or any location where you get HGTV, tune in Thursday, September 29 at 10:30pm (eastern time) to see us looking at two apartments way out of our budget range and ultimately deciding, “Oh! You know, I could really see us living well in the apartment we’ve already been living in for a while. When do we get our furniture back?”
Extra fakety-fake, but I loved getting to see the country. Same apparently goes for a lot of the other HHI episodes.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,402,263 times
I am amazed, on House Hunters International, how many people just impulsively up and move to a foreign country without a job, or knowing the language, or much of a "plan". Like the people the other night who decided to move to Panama and open a bed-and-breakfast, without having any experience in B&B's whatsoever. Or the people who vacation on an island somewhere, come back to the U.S. and decide to sell everything they own and move to said island....or France, or wherever. Geez, I thought I was impulsive!

Old 09-21-2012, 07:49 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,833,444 times
The posters at Television Without Pity have tracked down a fair number of House Hunters International 'buyers' from their public blogs, and a very high percentage of the alleged move on a whim crowd have already been living in their destination country, typically in the house they end up buying or renting, for about 1-2 years at time of filming.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:59 PM

10,137 posts, read 17,477,758 times
I can verify HH International is staged. My friend's owned a home in Aruba. The producers approached their friends and said they would like to use it in the show and paid them 2k I believe, but they left it in such a staging mess they said they wouldn't do it again, and lost a lot of respect for the show and channel.

BTW there house was never for sale and had no intention of selling it.

Old 09-26-2012, 05:58 PM

13,711 posts, read 9,230,680 times
LOL. I was on House Hunters, not as a buyer but as one of those friends who tags along and occasionally say things like, "Wow, I can really see you living here." Or, "I agree, I like the open floor plan too." Most of my lines were edited out of the show and I only got a few cameo here and there. Damn you HGTV!! Kidding, it was fun.

Anyway, the show is fake in the sense that the "buyer" has already bought the house by the time filming began. We have to pretend we're seeing her house for the first time; then picks out two other random houses to go see and pretends that she's interested. Filming took place over three weekends - the first two weekends are to get the "introduction" and the "home touring" shots. Then they waited about a month, enough time to allow the buyer to move in, then they came back for the "after" shots.

A good way to spot the house that a buyer eventually picked is that 90% of the time, the house is empty - no furniture, no staging. I'll leave it to you to figure out why.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:49 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by camaro69 View Post
I personally think HGTV has screwed up the real estate market by creating a falsehood that unless you have Granite, SS and hardwood floors, pass on the house.

OMG ABSOLUTELY, I agree.

HGTV has made it as though when you are selling your home, you must have all brand new SS appliances, get rid of your formika, tear your carpeting up and lay hardwood. You must then paint all your walls a neutral beige, and de-clutter everything.

Come intot he real world, other than giving the house a quick coat of paint if in the event it is really horriffic, i would not do anything but have the house cleaned.
let the new buyers do whatever they want, that is not my problem.

I would love to tell buyers, hello, this is the real world, not HGTV.

Old 09-27-2012, 12:52 PM

18,468 posts, read 31,630,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I am amazed, on House Hunters International, how many people just impulsively up and move to a foreign country without a job, or knowing the language, or much of a "plan". Like the people the other night who decided to move to Panama and open a bed-and-breakfast, without having any experience in B&B's whatsoever. Or the people who vacation on an island somewhere, come back to the U.S. and decide to sell everything they own and move to said island....or France, or wherever. Geez, I thought I was impulsive!

amazed, doesnt even come close!!!!

LOl, love it, but yes, you are 100 percent right....maybe we can use the word astonished, is that stronger than amazed.

because i am maybe even dumbfounded.

LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate