Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 05:08 PM

155 posts, read 748,375 times

Advertisements

I’m an old timer that got interested in real estate investing back in the 80's, with such TV real estate gurus like Dave Del Dotto, Tom Vu, and Ed Beckley . . . since they are some of the pioneers of the late night “get rich quick in real estate” infomercials. Now if you are younger than 40 years old, you probably have never heard of any of these 3 men. LOL!!! Moving on, most of those former real estate gurus now have a bad name, due to the TONS of complaints of many of their unhappy customers that they swindled and fleeced dry. Yet over 20 years later, I continue to read a TON of complaints about the new generation of real estate guru snake oil salespersons on the block (i.e. Armando Montelongo, from the cable TV show “Flip This House”), which seem to only be there to fleece all of the money they can out of the new generations of unsuspecting customers (via courses, workshops, boot camps, private mentors, etc.), to takeover when the older generation of pioneer real estate guru snake oil salespersons were forced out of business, due to many unhappy customers.

Yet just for fun, I thought I would ask this question to real estate professionals.

I’m not looking to get rich, yet I would love to be able to see if I could do some real estate investing and maybe build up a nice retirement nest egg and have some supplemental retirement income, via no money down and with bad credit. Yet I was curious to know if there were truly legitimate ways to really buy a house with no money down and with bad credit, without borrowing money from friends or family, and without having to deal with any of those snake oil real estate guru salespeople?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 05:21 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
You would have to try and talk a hard money lender into that, and that just won't be profitable.

Old 09-23-2012, 05:29 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,808,870 times
There is no such thing anymore unless you have a personal friend who has a lot of money that you could call your bank and he would then finance everything for you at an enormous interest rate.

Investors today need to have high credit like a regular borrow, 620-640 are usually the minimums, and they typically have to put 25-30% down. That's just the way it is.

Old 09-24-2012, 02:42 PM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
"Can you really buy a house with no money down and with bad credit?"

Yes--they call it CASH.

Old 09-24-2012, 08:10 PM

1,757 posts, read 5,138,019 times
That is 100% down

Old 09-25-2012, 06:49 AM

9,360 posts, read 14,103,620 times
Not really, because with cash you don't need a mortgage, and a down payment is only in reference to a mortgage or loan of some sort. But I know that is not what the thread is about. Still if someone did have bad credit, cash would seem to be the only way to go.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:10 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
No money down, bad credit, and not borrowing from a scheister/friend/family? Nope, not gonna happen.

Old 09-25-2012, 10:14 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,330 times
There are government programs to help people buy and do give an advantage to people that can't buy any other way due to credit or income. What is available can vary from place to place. Those type of things however are not geared toward investors and are meant for buying a primary residence only, the homes are not bargain priced and buyers usually have to sign something saying they intend to or will live there for a certain amount of time. They are based on need and a bit backwards in the way to qualify. The poorer the better.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:08 PM

155 posts, read 748,375 times
Thank you very much, Everyone. I sincerely and greatly appreciate your helpful and very realistic comments and feedback. Thank you so very, very much for taking the time to share your thoughts and knowledge with me.

Old 09-26-2012, 09:42 PM

41 posts, read 98,610 times
Don't listen to the naysayers. You absolutely can buy real estate with no money down or credit. At first, the only thing you need to invest is your time. Which 99% of people are not willing to do. Research real estate wholesaling. The question is, are you willing to put in the time? Also, research private money lenders. Hope this helps!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate