Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 08:47 AM

3 posts, read 17,309 times

Advertisements

How important is personal chemistry when you pick a real estate agent to sell your home?

My wife and I interviewed three different agents from three distinctly different types of agencies. We ended up picking the agent we had the least personal chemistry with. Why? Because I thought she would end up selling our home in the fastest amount of time in the least amount of days.

This is a no prisoners type of women. Reminds me of a senior manager at my last employer. Incredibly confident, poised and polished. Even arrogant. But she has an incredible track record of success and lots of good reviews. I have not enjoyed my personal interactions with her all that much but put up with her because she has such a track record.

Would you pick a real estate agent to sell your house you had no personal chemistry with?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 09:03 AM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
It sounds like you answered your own question! Obviously, one does not want to select a Realtor who will offend potential buyers. However, some Realtors seem to believe that 'selling real estate' is about promoting their own picture and being able to use the words 'stunning' and 'breathtaking' three times in one paragraph. There is a reason why some Realtors have a better track record than others.

Old 10-09-2012, 09:16 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,141,127 times
I would hire the agent I thought had the best chance on selling my house the quickest for the most amount of money. It is all business.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:17 PM

28,453 posts, read 85,370,617 times
Default YYessss , but...

...if you view your home as something other than a "product" it may be harder to accept a dispassionate assessement of why it is over priced / poorly staged from someone that is "arrogant".

If the polish / poise is also at least somewhat "charming" to other agents and their potential buyers that could be a good thing as getting buyers to make the best offer possible is something that takes some people skills and generally one of those skills involves putting aside things like emotionalism for things like the FACTS of comparable sales which is what the bank's appraiser will be judging the deal by...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not a Good Fit View Post
How important is personal chemistry when you pick a real estate agent to sell your home?

My wife and I interviewed three different agents from three distinctly different types of agencies. We ended up picking the agent we had the least personal chemistry with. Why? Because I thought she would end up selling our home in the fastest amount of time in the least amount of days.

This is a no prisoners type of women. Reminds me of a senior manager at my last employer. Incredibly confident, poised and polished. Even arrogant. But she has an incredible track record of success and lots of good reviews. I have not enjoyed my personal interactions with her all that much but put up with her because she has such a track record.

Would you pick a real estate agent to sell your house you had no personal chemistry with?

Old 10-09-2012, 04:23 PM

718 posts, read 2,079,257 times
She seems perfect. I have no personal chemistry with the physician I am currently seeing for a problem and he gets way more familiar with me than your agent, BUT, he knows his stuff and my condition is improving. Stick with her and you will be on your way.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:01 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,430,010 times
Before I was an agent, we were selling our home and interviewing agents and personality mattered to me. We picked the agent that had the best combination of competence and personality. Not looking for a new friend, but one of the agents was so aggressive that even though he was competent, based on his track record, I disliked him so much there was no way I was willing to let him make money off me.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:47 PM

10,553 posts, read 9,649,020 times
When a sale gets complicated, which they often do, it can be awfully unpleasant to deal with an agent that you don't particularly like.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:50 PM

35,094 posts, read 51,236,769 times
Quote:

My opinion is real estate agents are like therapists, they are not being paid to be your friend, they are being paid to do a job to the best of their ability. If the real estate agent is your friend you may let things slide because you are friends. If the therapist is your friend you may continue to go to them well after you have figured out that they are not actually helping you at all because you are friends.

Business is business and it is no place for friendship when it comes to selling your home.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:58 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,983,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellemint View Post
When a sale gets complicated, which they often do, it can be awfully unpleasant to deal with an agent that you don't particularly like.
Ditto, it's the same on the agent side. If the agent has a bad reputation in the RE community the other agents aren't exactly going to go out of the way to try and sell her listings. There are couple of less than friendly agents that I think fit your description that I'd rather not work with if I can help it. So your comment seems good in theory but in real life maybe not so much.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:10 PM

3,176 posts, read 6,216,270 times
Quote:

No. But that's based on our experience -- our agent who sold our house kicked ass in the business department AND was excellent to interact and work with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate