Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2007, 09:06 PM

65 posts, read 182,259 times

Advertisements

We are going to re-list our home in Sarasota next month. We have had some people say..WOW, I love the furniture..WOW, I love the location, the spa..etc. Different people have different ideas on WOW.
Is there something specific that buyers are looking for now (besides price)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2007, 09:31 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,508,743 times
We live in Charlotte County.

Due to the market in SW FL, I'd say price is going to be your best bet. Your price is going to get buyers in the door. But that price has to catch their eye.

Then, the obvious...stage it to sell for the major demographic in your neighborhood. Lots of retirees? Lots of families? Stage it to meet their needs.

Cleaniness & pride of ownership are always appealing. Be proud of what you are selling. While you won't be there for showings, freshen things up before you leave. Open curtains. Have little clutter.

We have just started the inital process after signing a purchase agreement (we are moving out of FL) but pride of ownership, locale, proximity to the highway for work commute & things like the grocery store, & the schools were very important to us. We are a younger family so our needs were very specific.

Good luck.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:37 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrose749 View Post
We are going to re-list our home in Sarasota next month. We have had some people say..WOW, I love the furniture..WOW, I love the location, the spa..etc. Different people have different ideas on WOW.
In your case, you have an idea of the wow factor, location, spa, plus the furniture you have makes the home show well.

For us, we couldn't find a home with the wow factor. I originally looked for a rancher with the master away from the other rooms but could not find it; looking in maybe 10 towns. Some people have wants / needs, like a basement or garage. Some want 4 bedrooms with 2 baths.

Old 10-09-2007, 04:51 AM

582 posts, read 2,009,067 times
It really depends on what people are looking for... like 121804 said you should stage it to the local demographics.

We were looking for the wow factor in a house also, but never found one that really fit the bill. In the end we went for one that had the wow factor in the neighborhood, plus gave us a chance to live somewhere that we could eventually move to a bigger one in the neighborhood and not have to uproot our family completely.

Old 10-09-2007, 06:45 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandyrose749 View Post
When you say "re-list", did you have it with a realtor and then take it off the market? Have you spoken with your new realtor about what the "wow" factor might be for your home and your area? In my opinion, you personally should research and go view each and every comparable home that is for sale in your price range and your area (just as if you were a buyer moving to the area), and then go back to your house and try and see it with someone else's eyes and how it compares. Your home should be as close to "perfect" as humanly possible, WAY better than the rest of the homes you viewed (not because you think so, but because you can objectively determine that everyone would think so), and then on top of that it also has to be priced to sell (discounted).

I was just reading that the Sarasota housing market is one of the worst hit areas in Florida. If you don't have to sell, you may want to sit this one out.

Old 10-09-2007, 07:15 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Clean. Clean. Clean.
Q-Tip detail.
Wash windows.

Sparkle to get a "Wow."

Old 10-09-2007, 07:27 AM

23,861 posts, read 33,523,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
When you say "re-list", did you have it with a realtor and then take it off the market? Have you spoken with your new realtor about what the "wow" factor might be for your home and your area? In my opinion, you personally should research and go view each and every comparable home that is for sale in your price range and your area (just as if you were a buyer moving to the area), and then go back to your house and try and see it with someone else's eyes and how it compares. Your home should be as close to "perfect" as humanly possible, WAY better than the rest of the homes you viewed (not because you think so, but because you can objectively determine that everyone would think so), and then on top of that it also has to be priced to sell (discounted).

I was just reading that the Sarasota housing market is one of the worst hit areas in Florida. If you don't have to sell, you may want to sit this one out.
IMO as a buyer & seller, this is a yes & no.

Yes - seeing your cometition may be good, it will let you know what else is out there and at what price.

No - as a seller, I am keeping my house up, there are days when I don't due to no traffic. When someone calls, some times we scramble around preparing. We're putting new counters in the kitchen, the back splash had to be taken off, I was also painting the walls a new color and spackling. Of course I had 2 showings that weekend which were not easy to get ready for. I painted until almost 11 pm that Friday. The next day as we were finishing up, I said to hubby, if it's our competition looking, I will be PO'd.

If you must view competition, do so at an open house. Also perhaps you share an agent with your competition? Ask the agent if it's ok for you to walk their house, they walk yours.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:19 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselvr View Post
IMO as a buyer & seller, this is a yes & no.

Yes - seeing your cometition may be good, it will let you know what else is out there and at what price.

No - as a seller, I am keeping my house up, there are days when I don't due to no traffic. When someone calls, some times we scramble around preparing. We're putting new counters in the kitchen, the back splash had to be taken off, I was also painting the walls a new color and spackling. Of course I had 2 showings that weekend which were not easy to get ready for. I painted until almost 11 pm that Friday. The next day as we were finishing up, I said to hubby, if it's our competition looking, I will be PO'd.

If you must view competition, do so at an open house. Also perhaps you share an agent with your competition? Ask the agent if it's ok for you to walk their house, they walk yours.
I disagree Roselvr and here's why. You have to see the houses as a buyer sees them, at showings and not open houses. Open houses are very staged, and not where most buyer's get their first impression of a home, at least from my experience. Plus, setting up showings will give you an idea of how accommodating your competition is and how motivated they are, and how they treat their home on a day-to-day basis (when they only have a few hours or so to prepare).

There is nothing wrong with viewing the competition when they least expect it and don't know you are shopping them. This is business and this is guerrilla warfare. In my ever so humble opinion of course.

Old 10-09-2007, 08:45 AM

65 posts, read 182,259 times
Default Very Frustrating!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post

I really appreciate everyone's input. The area we live in has little kids plus retired folks, so no real demographics to pull from. The house is always clean and ready to show. We have looked at the other homes for sale in our area and we (myself, husband, realtor) think our house out-shines them all.
We are re-listing with the same realtor with a lower price starting November 1st. Our price per sq. foot is below the comps. We do not HAVE to sell right now, but really want to because of the taxes and insurance doubling, we have been pulling from our savings to make ends meet...and that won't last forever!
Please take a look at the visual tour and make any suggestions. Thanks so much.http://www.visualtour.com/shownp.asp?t=1176993&sk=24

Old 10-09-2007, 08:58 AM

960 posts, read 1,686,436 times
Sandy,
Have you looked on the Manatee County Property Appraisers website to see what has sold recently in your neighborhood?
I know the Sarasota Property Appraisers website is easy to navigate with a Sales Search. Manatee County's website may be the same. All you have to do is enter the subdivision name and it pulls up all sales for this year.
It may get you ahead of the game, if you know what the buyers are actually paying, rather than just what the sellers are asking.
Hope that helps.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate