Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2012, 11:24 AM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by house_confused View Post
Thanks for the reply...
Thats what i was feeling, house hunting,finding the house you love & putting an offer is already stressful & more important to me.
I just dont want myself stuck because of issues which might arise due to change of agents..
If your current agent is providing you with excellent representation write up an offer with them. Do NOT worry about MLS compensation issues, they have nothing to do with you. Let your current agent know about the previous offer and then move on. If your agent is a good agent, they will know how to handle it.

Just FYI, the issue is procuring cause and your current agent is entitled to the full MLS compensation that is due to them based on what you wrote here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2012, 11:37 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,105,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
First, call the local Board of Realtors in that location and explain your dilemma, and take their advice.

Otherwise, unless you had a huge blowout or bad feelings with agent #1, why not contact Agent #1 who was actually showing you what you want, and did find you what you want. Call and tell him you want to put in another offer on that house, simplify your life and clear the air. Agent #2 was not showing you what you want.

If you want to be totally neutral, you might be able to call the listing agent and make an offer on the property with the listing agent. Frankly, I would not borrow trouble,, and would make the offer with Agent #1 who will appreciate your loyalty and avoid hard feelings. In other words, take the high road.
If there is a signed agreement with agent 2 this could be a problem.

Old 10-15-2012, 12:33 PM

11,113 posts, read 19,544,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zyngawf View Post
If there is a signed agreement with agent 2 this could be a problem.

That is why I told him to contact the local Board; they will ask the right questions and get the answers from him. We don't have any idea what he signed or didn't sign. We don't even know if Agent #1 was a dual agent. Local licensing laws trump whatever advice we give that is for sure, we're not in his state. People call the Boards all the time for correct advice. Some Boards are pro-active in their continuing education requirements, and some aren't. All agents are not created equal.

If there was buyer's agency agreement with Agent #2, no problem, case closed. If no buyer's agency agreement, no procuring cause with Agent #2 because he didn't show the client the house he wanted.

Agent #1 was procuring cause, and negotiated a written offer whether he had a buyer's agency agreement or not, depending on the laws of OP's state.

Last edited by QuilterChick; 10-15-2012 at 12:45 PM..

Old 10-15-2012, 01:02 PM

Quote:

If there was buyer's agency agreement with Agent #2, no problem, case closed. If no buyer's agency agreement, no procuring cause with Agent #2 because he didn't show the client the house he wanted.

Agent #1 was procuring cause, and negotiated a written offer whether he had a buyer's agency agreement or not, depending on the laws of OP's state.
You are mistaken. The chain was broken. The OP started looking at homes with the new agent. Procuring cause does not mean you are stuck with inadequate representation. It is about the chain of events that leads to close of escrow. Agent #1 started the chain. It was broken. Agent #2 will start a new chain when Agent #2 shows the OP the house and writes a new offer.

How can you advocate that a consumer call back Agent #1 when they weren't happy with their representation? If that is how we need to do business, lets just kill the real estate industry right now and put consumers out of their misery. I think it is horrible advise to tell the OP to call agent #1 back to make it easier for them. They left agent #1 for a reason. What matters is that a consumer wasn't satisfied and moved on to new representation.

Old 10-15-2012, 01:44 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
I don't see any reason the OP needs to contact the local board. He can have whomever he wants to write a new offer. There is no procuring cause with the first agent because he went and looked at other houses. The Procuring Cause chain has been broken. He can go back to the house with another agent and start the chain over again, and that agent is the new procuring cause.

"Unbroken chain of events..."

Old 10-15-2012, 02:55 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post
I don't see any reason the OP needs to contact the local board. He can have whomever he wants to write a new offer. There is no procuring cause with the first agent because he went and looked at other houses. The Procuring Cause chain has been broken. He can go back to the house with another agent and start the chain over again, and that agent is the new procuring cause.

I don't know...I think agent one could have a viable complaint here.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:39 PM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Not if he dropped the ball with the buyer and they're not working together anymore. The buyer then goes out and looks at other houses and doesn't see anything he likes, and then comes back to this house. The chain of events starts over and the buyer is working with a new agent.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:52 PM

6,478 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FalconheadWest View Post

I have to agree with you there.

The only person who might bring it up with the local board is Agent #1 against Agent #2 and not the OP.

Old 10-15-2012, 03:53 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,217,748 times
Quote:
Yes, you can put an offer on the house. BUT you need to check with your local Board of Realtors if you want to put an offer on that particular house because of the confusion caused. What is more important to you, getting the house you want, or further creating problems between agents?

At some point, please be loyal to ONE agent.
Obviously to get the house. Just call the realty board and check...but hurry if you want this house.

Old 10-15-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Agent one could complain but they would lose. The chain was clearly broken. The Oregon Supreme Court laid this out for us here so we can avoid nonsense disputes.

When a broker is engaged by an owner of property to find a purchaser for it, the broker earns his commission when (a) he produces a purchaser ready, willing and able to buy on the terms fixed by the owner, (b) the purchaser enters into a binding contract with the owner to do so, and (c) the purchaser completes the transaction by closing the title in accordance with the provisions of the contract.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate