Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 05:47 PM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This supports the OP's irritation with only getting an hour's notice of a showing. I know that we often got 30 minutes or less and we often eating. Once someone showed up during dinner when the realtor forgot to call and let us know that someone was coming. And, then, of course, there were times that we sat waiting or went out and came back to find that no one showed up! We had a call from the realtor once asking if someone might be sitting out in front of our house because she had an appointment that she forgot to tell us about or show up for. He wasn't still there since she was 1/2 hour late, it was snowing and less than 40 degrees outside. So............................... And, yes, we requested 24 hour notice since we were living in the house.
If you make it difficult for buyers to see the home, they will pass it up.

If my buyer client gives me a list of homes at 7am and wants to see them starting at 11am that day, then at 9am I'll start making calls to set appointments. If a listings says they require 24 hours notice I won't call them unless my client tells me that they also want to see some homes the following day.

Selling a home has many inconveniences that sellers should be prepared for; or the appointment that didn't get set could have been the perfect buyer for the home.

If a prospective seller told me they need 24 hour notice to show, unless this was a very special property and the 24 hour notice was for a good reason that I could explain in the mls, I would probably decline the listing. That's because I would be the one to blame if the home didn't sell. The listing agent's job is to sell the home, not just list it and let it set.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2012, 08:22 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,395,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
I posted here because you agents should be aware that we sellers think we are being shortchanged by the work you do to get sale. I would never put this guys info in a bad agent comment, because I am not that kind of person. But I can let you all know there are things sellers expect when we sign a listing agreement and if those things don't happen, you lose your listing.
Well, if you are unhappy with a listing agreement, I feel that you have every right to cancel, as you did. Unfortunately, since you are a licensed real estate agent, some of the replies were not too empathetic...although some slack was due since you apparently have never been an active real estate agent. You said that you "learned your lesson" so I do hope things go better the next time you try to sell or buy a property. Good luck.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:02 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
This supports the OP's irritation with only getting an hour's notice of a showing. I know that we often got 30 minutes or less and we often eating. Once someone showed up during dinner when the realtor forgot to call and let us know that someone was coming. And, then, of course, there were times that we sat waiting or went out and came back to find that no one showed up! We had a call from the realtor once asking if someone might be sitting out in front of our house because she had an appointment that she forgot to tell us about or show up for. He wasn't still there since she was 1/2 hour late, it was snowing and less than 40 degrees outside. So............................... And, yes, we requested 24 hour notice since we were living in the house.
It may be customary in your area for 24 hour notice but in many areas 1 hour notice is very acceptable, 24 hour notice in my area is the kiss of death.
When someone walks into an office and says, we are here for 4 days and want to find a house, you may spend an hour or 2 qualifying them and getting some other information but then the search is on. Unless a house is extremely competitively priced and meets all the wants and needs list items it generally gets passed over for the dozens of other homes that can be seen on an hour notice.
When I sold my own home last time, it was 5 of us and the dog, 3 being middle school age kids. We had no problem keeping the house ready to show on short notice. I guess it all depends how motivated you are and how prepared.

Old 10-23-2012, 04:37 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,933,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
My license is inactive and always has been . Maybe now you can cut me some slack.
That wasn't the impression you gave in post 10, where you said,
Quote:
I also have a RE license and could have sold it myself,

Old 10-23-2012, 09:18 AM

315 posts, read 767,323 times
We've passed up looking at houses that needed 24 hours notice.

With the house we are now selling, we ask for an hour notice for 2 reasons, 1, I work at home so I need time to finish up what I'm doing and get out and 2, I am absolutely anal about the house being PERFECT for showings. This gives me a chance to make vacuum lines and make sure the kids rooms are spotless, etc. The feedback I've been getting lets me know I'm doing good. Luckily, all our showings have been for appointments the next day.

And for those of you who remember my, To Fire or Not to Fire thread, we've had 7 showings in the 2 weeks, since we've been listed with our new agent.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:29 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barli View Post

With the house we are now selling, we ask for an hour notice for 2 reasons, 1, I work at home so I need time to finish up what I'm doing and get out and 2, I am absolutely anal about the house being PERFECT for showings. This gives me a chance to make vacuum lines and make sure the kids rooms are spotless, etc. The feedback I've been getting lets me know I'm doing good. Luckily, all our showings have been for appointments the next day.

And for those of you who remember my, To Fire or Not to Fire thread, we've had 7 showings in the 2 weeks, since we've been listed with our new agent.
I'm glad you found a better agent. Did your new agent use your photos or take new ones?

Old 10-23-2012, 09:52 AM

3,398 posts, read 5,103,214 times
It's better to show an unperfect house on short notice than to require 24 hours to clean it up.

Old 10-23-2012, 12:00 PM

8,547 posts, read 14,012,666 times
Quote:

Glad to hear you are getting more activity. What do you feel your new agent is doing differently that's resulting in the improvement?

Old 10-23-2012, 12:35 PM

315 posts, read 767,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
I'm glad you found a better agent. Did your new agent use your photos or take new ones?
I asked her if she used a professional service when I interviewed her. She didn't and said my pics were great so I told her to just use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Glad to hear you are getting more activity. What do you feel your new agent is doing differently that's resulting in the improvement?
We're being advertised on the local cable channel here and she's put in many calls to realtor friends to let them know about the house. She's been doing this for 29 years, so I'm pretty sure she knows quite a few of them!

I see a huge difference in a realtor who lists and then sits waiting for it to sell, verses one who actually works to sell it.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:53 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
I asked her if she used a professional service when I interviewed her. She didn't and said my pics were great so I told her to just use them.

We're being advertised on the local cable channel here and she's put in many calls to realtor friends to let them know about the house. She's been doing this for 29 years, so I'm pretty sure she knows quite a few of them!

I see a huge difference in a realtor who lists and then sits waiting for it to sell, verses one who actually works to sell it.
Now that you have had two extremes what advice would you give to consumers out there looking to hire an agent? What questions did you ask the second time that you didn't ask with your first agent?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate