Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2012, 07:05 PM

315 posts, read 767,567 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
Now that you have had two extremes what advice would you give to consumers out there looking to hire an agent? What questions did you ask the second time that you didn't ask with your first agent?
I didn't ask any the first time. I saw her signs a lot in the neighborhood, so I assumed she'd be good. You know what they say about assuming!

The second time around I interviewed 3 realtors. I asked each of them how long they'd been in the business and how they would plan to market my house. #1 seemed like all business, sort of like she could take it or leave it. #2 while seeming very motivated, was 20 minutes late, which had an impact on my decision. #3 was dressed like a little old grandma, tho I wouldn't think she was more then 60. Hair in a bun and covered in dog or cat hair. Very unprofessional. I liked her a lot, but she said something that worried me. "We'll put your house on homes.com, wait, not homes.com, realtor.com". I really felt like she knew nothing about the internet. When she left I went to her, "team" website. Holy crap was that a disorganized mess!

I ended up going with #1 since she seemed like the lessor of the evils and we couldn't be happier with her thus far.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2012, 08:52 PM

15,577 posts, read 40,434,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barli View Post
I didn't ask any the first time. I saw her signs a lot in the neighborhood, so I assumed she'd be good. You know what they say about assuming!

The second time around I interviewed 3 realtors. I asked each of them how long they'd been in the business and how they would plan to market my house. #1 seemed like all business, sort of like she could take it or leave it. #2 while seeming very motivated, was 20 minutes late, which had an impact on my decision. #3 was dressed like a little old grandma, tho I wouldn't think she was more then 60. Hair in a bun and covered in dog or cat hair. Very unprofessional. I liked her a lot, but she said something that worried me. "We'll put your house on homes.com, wait, not homes.com, realtor.com". I really felt like she knew nothing about the internet. When she left I went to her, "team" website. Holy crap was that a disorganized mess!

I ended up going with #1 since she seemed like the lessor of the evils and we couldn't be happier with her thus far.
Fantastic. We've been telling consumers to interview at least three on this forum, forever. Your experience is so common. People see signs and think someone is good when in fact they are just good at making people think they are good. I'm glad it is working out for you and make sure to tell your friends to interview agents, both buyer and seller agents.

Old 10-24-2012, 08:06 AM

8,545 posts, read 14,025,464 times
Quote:

I really enjoyed reading that your selection method was to choose the least bad agent.

Seriously, it can be hard to judge an agent during a brief meeting like this, but it sounds like you picked on that's doing a good job for you. Hopefully, you'll have your home sold in a flash!

Quote:
Fantastic. We've been telling consumers to interview at least three on this forum, forever. Your experience is so common. People see signs and think someone is good when in fact they are just good at making people think they are good. I'm glad it is working out for you and make sure to tell your friends to interview agents, both buyer and seller agents.
Too much of the public is quiet about it when they have a bad experience with an agent. I agree. Please make sure to share your experience with your friends/neighbors and don't be emabarassed to let them know where you went wrong in the process or to name names.

The more educated real estate consumers are the better for the industry as a whole.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
I really enjoyed reading that your selection method was to choose the least bad agent.
Now there's a tagline for a brokerage...Bringing you the least bad agents since 1992!

Old 10-24-2012, 10:50 AM

315 posts, read 767,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikePRU View Post
Too much of the public is quiet about it when they have a bad experience with an agent. I agree. Please make sure to share your experience with your friends/neighbors and don't be emabarassed to let them know where you went wrong in the process or to name names.

The more educated real estate consumers are the better for the industry as a whole.
Oh I plan to, and have already started. I've been asked a lot why we switched, (nosy neighbors!) and I've been telling them the truth. I also fully plan to rate her online AFTER we move. Last thing I need is her sabotaging any potential buyers. Yes, she WOULD do that.

Quote:
Now there's a tagline for a brokerage...Bringing you the least bad agents since 1992!
I would want royalties of course! LOL

Old 10-24-2012, 10:56 AM

Quote:
Oh I plan to, and have already started. I've been asked a lot why we switched, (nosy neighbors!) and I've been telling them the truth. I also fully plan to rate her online AFTER we move. Last thing I need is her sabotaging any potential buyers. Yes, she WOULD do that.
Thank you. This helps everyone when consumers are willing to go out there and share their experiences.

Quote:
I would want royalties of course! LOL
You could have a new career as a copywriter.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:57 PM

6,957 posts, read 22,311,234 times
To be honest with y'all, I'd like to see NAR ditch their code of ethics provision which basically says don't speak ill of other agents. Since I dropped my affiliation with them it has been nice to disparage some of the charlatans in this business without having to face an "ethics" charge.

Good on Barli and wishes for a successful transaction.

Silverfall, I love the tagline. (And props to Barli for inspiring it)

Old 10-25-2012, 08:15 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Bill, isn't that funny? It's an ethics violation to point out someone's lack of ethics?

Old 10-25-2012, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
Bill, isn't that funny? It's an ethics violation to point out someone's lack of ethics?
I'm not a member anymore but you can say things that are true such as "so and so had a disciplinary action with the real estate agency" if you know it is true. You just can't say things that are misleading or not true like "so and so never really sells anything" or "no one shows their homes because they only charge $399" on and on.

It is a worthless clause though since I know so many REALTORS that break it all of the time.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:22 AM

6,175 posts, read 12,939,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Hoffman View Post
No it isn't. the exact text of the Code of Ethics reads as follows;
Quote:
REALTORS® shall not knowingly or recklessly make false or misleading statements about competitors, their businesses, or their business practices.
There is nothing unethical or in conflict with the REALTORS code of ethics to point out anything that is true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate