Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 07:18 AM

121 posts, read 152,910 times

Advertisements

I currently own a couple condos in the CA area which I rent out at about $1500 monthly per condo. The last few years have been pretty rocky for me since i've had lots of turnover in my tenants. Prior to 2009 I had a very good long term (6+ years!) tenant but she left to buy a home in another state. My other condo had a 2 year tenant who had to leave around the same time too.

Since then i've had a steady stream of renters who seem to only manage a year before moving on. In each case i've inquired to see why they left and it was always job related. So i'm pretty certain it's not on my end since I make sure all maintenance issues are taken care of asap. None of my tenants have ever complained about my condo before.

It usually takes me a month to find a suitable tenant when this happens. Unfortunately there's an awful lot of people with bad credit and criminal backgrounds where I live even though it's a pretty decent neighborhood. I think it's just a CA thing.

I'm considering starting up a discount plan to attract long term renters. I'll offer a 5% discount off monthly rent on a renewed second year lease and discount a further 2% on the third and 3% fourth. So a long term renter could potentially save up to 10% by the 4th year. I can only go up to a max of 10%.

The way I look at it i'm losing a month each year looking for tenants and this way by kicking in a $900/annual discount on the 2nd year (1500 x 5% = 75 mo.) I could potentially be keeping a good tenant and saving a lot of hassle at less cost to myself.

Vacancy rates in my area are about 9%.

What do you think about my discount plan? Both my condos are fully paid off and are just an income stream for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2012, 07:40 AM

1,072 posts, read 2,973,339 times
As a renter I would think this is great, but I don't know that it addresses your problem. If your tenant are moving because of work, offering them a discount wouldn't encourage them to stay.

I was happy my rent didn't go up at all after my first year, that in itself seemed like a discount to me.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:42 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Offer them a free months rent w/ a renewal lease, might cost you less overall.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beth98 View Post
As a renter I would think this is great, but I don't know that it addresses your problem. If your tenant are moving because of work, offering them a discount wouldn't encourage them to stay.

I was happy my rent didn't go up at all after my first year, that in itself seemed like a discount to me.
I realize that with my previous tenants it would have made no difference but i'm offering the discount incentive to entice new potentials who look at my property. I'm hoping i'll attract people who plan on being long term tenants.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:21 AM

24,665 posts, read 69,703,004 times
In my opinion it's a very flawed approach. A free standing house might be looked upon differently but tenants who opt to rent condo units or apartments rarely look beyond a year's lease. If you have tenants in good standing who want to extend an initial year's lease then your better option would be to not increase the rent upon renewal. Offering a discount rate up front serves no good purpose. As you've already discovered, situations over which you have no control change as tenants either move on once their lease is over whether it be for a job transfer or for personal reasons related to moving to a less expensive place or looking for something larger to accommodate their particular growing needs.

Your rent income needs to reflect the fact that it may take you a month or more to re-let the unit - that's all part of doing business as a landlord.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:30 AM

43,284 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by STT Resident View Post
In my opinion it's a very flawed approach. A free standing house might be looked upon differently but tenants who opt to rent condo units or apartments rarely look beyond a year's lease. If you have tenants in good standing who want to extend an initial year's lease then your better option would be to not increase the rent upon renewal. Offering a discount rate up front serves no good purpose. As you've already discovered, situations over which you have no control change as tenants either move on once their lease is over whether it be for a job transfer or for personal reasons related to moving to a less expensive place or looking for something larger to accommodate their particular growing needs.

Your rent income needs to reflect the fact that it may take you a month or more to re-let the unit - that's all part of doing business as a landlord.
Agreed.
Offering a rent freeze for a subsequent year seems a better approach then programming in a discount in the first year, assuming that you are at a competitive market rent.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:45 AM

7,244 posts, read 21,811,238 times
Why don't you instead offer a discount of $1450 if they sign an 18 month lease instead of a 12 month lease or $1425 if they sign a 24 month lease. If they have to break the lease for work, at least you've got their security deposit to offset vacancies. Get them to sign a longer lease up front. That's what I encourage in my market.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 AM

Thanks for the comments but I think some of you may have misread my OP. The 5% enticement is for the 2nd year if they (and I) choose to renew the lease. The first year is at full rate.

Anyways, I'll keep your suggestions in mind and the longer term lease as suggested in the post above might work out better.

Old 10-30-2012, 10:38 AM

17,573 posts, read 46,144,871 times
I think the amount is probably insignificant for most. Unless the property is already on the low end compared to similar places, I don't think $75 is going to be what makes someone renew. And it is even less in the next years.

Old 10-30-2012, 11:30 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,827 times
I also think the amount is insignificant UNLESS you offer it in a lump sum. In other words give a rebate for a signed second year lease. If you're losing $900 every time the condo turns over, offer a rebate of $450 for a signed second year lease. People like lump sums.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate