Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2012, 01:10 PM

201 posts, read 490,633 times

Advertisements

I never liked to clean toliets so we hire a cleaning woman to come in every few weeks. I was always impressed with how clean the house looked like when she left. So The stager and real estate agent came by today to have one more work through of our house before it goes offically up to sale later this week. Both report the house is too dirty and we should fire our cleaning lady.

Is it a gimic to get us to hire their cleaning crew or is the standard now days to clean up the house much higher than we ever expected?

Was your real estate agent happy with your homes maintenance in advance of it going on sale?

How did you keep it spotless during the time it was on sale?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2012, 01:14 PM

34,088 posts, read 82,920,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snooper View Post
The stager and real estate agent...
Both report the house is too dirty and we should fire our cleaning lady.
They're probably right.

Have you had a walk through any of the OTHER houses for sale near you?
You should do that anyway... but be sure to inspect for what clean means especially.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:19 PM

19,855 posts, read 65,802,767 times
Get a service like Merry Maids. They do a good job but you might have to pay for a "Fall Cleaning" before they start regular visits.

Old 11-05-2012, 01:43 PM

17,573 posts, read 46,126,539 times
Have them point out exactly what is "too dirty". A vague statment like that is not very helpful.

Old 11-05-2012, 02:54 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,100,599 times
I agree with Manderly.

Old 11-05-2012, 06:05 PM

138 posts, read 320,105 times
Judge for yourself. Don't bother with what the agent says. At closing, your house must be in as good or better condition than when it was seen by the buyer at offer time. So you don't want it perfect now. You will have to do more cleaning near closing time. The agent wanted me to remove some of the furniture (too busy, too cluttered). Just ignore that stuff.

Old 11-05-2012, 08:15 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdon View Post
Judge for yourself. Don't bother with what the agent says. At closing, your house must be in as good or better condition than when it was seen by the buyer at offer time. So you don't want it perfect now. You will have to do more cleaning near closing time. The agent wanted me to remove some of the furniture (too busy, too cluttered). Just ignore that stuff.
Come on Jackdon... you're brighter than this. Not having the house in Tip Top shape could cost her time in selling and possibly thousands of $$.

OP it does need to be in great condition and show ready. Just get someone to help define what needs to be done.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:29 PM

371 posts, read 1,361,815 times
You can't tell if your house is clean?

Quote:
or is the standard now days to clean up the house much higher than we ever expected?
The standard is to have it really, really clean. As in, if you're not sure you've met the standard for "clean", you probably haven't met it.

I know it's easy to lose perspective when you've been somewhere a long time. Our realtor told us that during a showing, a person said our house smelled. I was upset and offended. Guess what? It did smell. I had to let go of my pride (and my sense of "normal", get out of the house for many hours, come back and pretend it wasn't my house. It smelled of dog and cat. I have a dog and a cat. I thought I was cleaning well. I wasn't. Even though everything looked spotless, it didn't SMELL spotless. I had to be honest with myself and fix the problem (without getting rid of the pets).

Having said that, if they're just saying "it's too dirty" or are pushing some of their own services or their affiliates, then yes, I would be suspicious. They should be able to point out exactly where they see dirt, mess or clutter. It's not hard to point to mess that you see. So I'm not sure why there wasn't better communication.

Want to show us some pictures? We'll tell you the truth : )-

Old 11-07-2012, 09:02 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,003,675 times
It should be easy to tell if its clean or not...

Is everything spotless ??

Old 11-09-2012, 05:40 AM

6,069 posts, read 14,773,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdon View Post
The agent and the stager are hired to provide their professional advice on what is going to help get your home sold.

They are telling you what you need to hear in order to get your home sold in a timely manner for top dollar. So I would certainly listen to what they are saying, and do as others have advised, and that is to have them point out exactly what they're talking about.

I'm actually surprised if they did not point out what is dirty. In the Phoenix area a lot of the dirt that cleaners will miss is in the window sills and the sliding door tracks. We get a lot of blowing dirt during the monsoon season and this dirt will accumulate in the tracks.

Another place that cleaners may ignore are ceiling fan blades and light fixtures. There may be some areas common in your area that the professionals will see, and people looking to buy your home will see, but since you're living in the home every day you are accustomed to it and don't see it.

You are doing the right thing by hiring a stager, and I don't think for a minute that either the Realtor or the stager are lying to you in an attempt to get you to hire cleaners they know. If you like your cleaner you don't have to fire them, just get the back and issue new cleaning instructions. It could be that they are doing the work exactly as was agreed on, and that extra work may be needed and they would just adjust the price accordingly.

As to staging, there are so many sellers who just don't realize the positive impact that removing some furniture and uncluttering will have on buyers.

When buyers view a home they need to be able to picture their "stuff" in the home. If a sellers home is too cluttered, and has too much furniture it will look too small, and that will lose some potential buyers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate