Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2012, 02:12 PM

9 posts, read 11,437 times

Advertisements

"I just gave it to my daughter outright"
That quote is incorrect !!!!!!!!!!!! that is the moderater's words NOT MINE!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2012, 02:22 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,413,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stra8up3 View Post
She agreed to my stipulations, that is #1, I would live there for the rest of my life if I had chose to (all utilities paid) #2 she would not sell the house as long as I was alive. No attorney involved.
If you didn't set it up as a life estate (that's what it is called when retain the rights to stay there for the rest of your life), then there probably isn't a lot you can do. A life estate is an encumbrance that is recorded at the county.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:33 PM

9,285 posts, read 14,892,417 times
Quote:
I just gave it to my daughter outright
"Giving" verbally and deeding over are two different things. It's what's in writing that counts.

The deed must have been in your daughter's name or she would not have been able to "give" it to the boyfriend.

Old 11-19-2012, 04:45 PM

1,715 posts, read 4,776,397 times
Sounds like the apple did not fall far from the tree.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:00 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,934,712 times
Quote:
At one point I had help from a lawyer who worked "pro-bono". He was certain that I could get the house back because my daughter breached the verbal contract. As he explained it to me, his house is in his name but he can not sell it because the bank still owns it. Anyways, he had filed a case against my daughter suing her for the house back but after he had seeming developed some health issues, I have been unable to contact him. Since then I missed a court date that I was unaware of until I received a notice in the mail from the court stating that the case was dismissed due to the fact that my daughter and I had not appeared. The way I figure is if I had been there, I would have won by default, correct?
Any lawyer who would assert what you claim yours said (in bold above) is an idiot. I think perhaps you misunderstood him. Banks do NOT OWN the houses they loan money for people to buy. The homeowner owns the house, and has borrowed money from the bank using that home as collateral. The owner can sell it any time they want, with most mortgage agreements calling for an immediate payoff of the outstanding loan amount at time of sale.

Old 11-19-2012, 05:05 PM

6,175 posts, read 12,934,712 times
Quote:
"I just gave it to my daughter outright"
That quote is incorrect !!!!!!!!!!!! that is the moderater's words NOT MINE!
There doesn't appear to be any evidence of a moderator editing your post. It looks like you said it in response to a question.

I was going to try to offer up some advice or assistance, but I am getting the feeling such would be wasted, as it appears you confuse facts easily. The best I can suggest is that you get your motor home off the property, as it is no longer your property, and seek out a local real estate attorney, to see if you have any kind of case.

Old 11-19-2012, 10:15 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,102,333 times
Contact the same lawyer you had before. Unfortunately, if you wrote out a deed giving the property to your daughter without the help of an attorney and did not have it in writing that you could live on the property until you chose not to (called a life-estate), you are probably out of luck. But at this time, you do need the services of an attorney. And contact your state's human resources commission to see what kind of aid you can get, even if it's help in finding a job/training.

Old 12-03-2012, 12:19 PM

9 posts, read 11,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Contact the same lawyer you had before. Unfortunately, if you wrote out a deed giving the property to your daughter without the help of an attorney and did not have it in writing that you could live on the property until you chose not to (called a life-estate), you are probably out of luck. But at this time, you do need the services of an attorney. And contact your state's human resources commission to see what kind of aid you can get, even if it's help in finding a job/training.
will do, thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate