U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-30-2006, 09:12 PM

4,895 posts, read 6,936,112 times

Advertisements

I recently sold my home in NC through Coldwell Banker. I had a lot of interest in my house before it was sold and was getting 2-3 showings a week.
I have a video security system on and in my house that records video as well as audio. That said, I managed to pickup several conversations of real estate agents and prespective buyers when they were in range of the cameras. After reviewing the tapes I found that most agents that showed my house could not answer the simplest questions even when the answers were in the disclosure sheet displayed in the center of a table. One agent could not find the inside door to my garage. There are two doors in the kitchen and one is a pantry. Guess where the other door leads? I have no doubt that the main reason for my house not selling faster was the lack of interest on the part of the real estate agents. Even my listing agent could not answer most questions when presented by the prespective buyer.
I was lucky enough to find a buy myself but we had to go through Coldwell Banker to complete the sale. I was never given a written final estimate and I was greatly surprised to find that my estimated profit was $2000 less than I expected. I also had to sell this house at a $10k loss just to move it and that I did expect but the extra $2000 was not.
I had also used the same agent to order a new house which has been nothing but a nightmare since it started. I have a closing date but no one will confirm it which means I cannot hire a mover, order needed appliances, or even change the utilities. The builder faults the realtor and the realtor says it is the builder. The real estate agent could not provide me with basic specs on the new house when asked. She also recommended a mortgage lender who worked fast but provided the most confusing mortgage papers I have ever read and for the first time I will have to get an attorney.
I picked Coldwell Banker because they are national. What a disappointed they turned out to be. Maybe the problem is just in this local office or maybe it is just the agent, but for whatever reason I will never use Coldwell Banker again.
Don
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2006, 09:56 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,064,782 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
I recently sold my home in NC through Coldwell Banker. I had a lot of interest in my house before it was sold and was getting 2-3 showings a week.
I have a video security system on and in my house that records video as well as audio. That said, I managed to pickup several conversations of real estate agents and prespective buyers when they were in range of the cameras. After reviewing the tapes I found that most agents that showed my house could not answer the simplest questions even when the answers were in the disclosure sheet displayed in the center of a table. One agent could not find the inside door to my garage. There are two doors in the kitchen and one is a pantry. Guess where the other door leads? I have no doubt that the main reason for my house not selling faster was the lack of interest on the part of the real estate agents. Even my listing agent could not answer most questions when presented by the prespective buyer.
I was lucky enough to find a buy myself but we had to go through Coldwell Banker to complete the sale. I was never given a written final estimate and I was greatly surprised to find that my estimated profit was $2000 less than I expected. I also had to sell this house at a $10k loss just to move it and that I did expect but the extra $2000 was not.
I had also used the same agent to order a new house which has been nothing but a nightmare since it started. I have a closing date but no one will confirm it which means I cannot hire a mover, order needed appliances, or even change the utilities. The builder faults the realtor and the realtor says it is the builder. The real estate agent could not provide me with basic specs on the new house when asked. She also recommended a mortgage lender who worked fast but provided the most confusing mortgage papers I have ever read and for the first time I will have to get an attorney.
I picked Coldwell Banker because they are national. What a disappointed they turned out to be. Maybe the problem is just in this local office or maybe it is just the agent, but for whatever reason I will never use Coldwell Banker again.
Don

Doesn't surprise me, that's why my husband and I became licensed.

Old 09-30-2006, 10:47 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,350,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
Don
Don, I hear you. I used Coldwell Banker for a bit too in my house search last year. I was a cash buyer, had specific requirements and the agent they assigned me was an amateur who took me to homes that were already under contract and got us lost in the country. He also didn't follow through on information I requested he research on a property I was ready to write a check on. He wouldn't answer my question directly, just said that the second person (another landowner who was offering to sell chunks of his land in conjunction with the home on two acres I was interested in) wasn't interested, though the homeowner himself had told me he was. So, I dropped them cold turkey. I didn't even call. I just ignored their calls and refused to communicate with them any further. I think there are a few real professionals out there, including in Coldwell Banker and other realtys, but my own experience was that the vast majority were incompentent and should never have undertaken jobs as realtors. By the time I'd found my current home, I was so exasperated that I refused to answer any realtor's questions or give them any information or contact information until I had to with Murney and Assoc. here in Springfield which represented this house and I wanted to see inside. The agent I got..FINALLY!!!!! was a professional and very good! I dealt with 7 realtors who were idiots before I ran into the one who sold me my house. This market crash should shake out the imbeciles.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:18 AM

1,104 posts, read 3,166,361 times
Wow, we also had a frustrating experience with Coldwell Banker. I'm surprised to find out it doesn't seem to be a local problem.

Old 10-01-2006, 05:51 AM

13,395 posts, read 42,169,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grammy164 View Post
Wow, we also had a frustrating experience with Coldwell Banker.
Ditto.
In Denver.
When we changed realtors, everything changed for the better and we sold our house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate