Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 08:56 AM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet everett View Post
...except for periods when the real estate market is sorta "broken" (like when credit markets were in turmoil after the securitized mortgage melt down of 2008...) that homes have their BEST SHOT at selling closest to when they come on the market.
OP this is my concern for your approach to selling your home. Interview three agents. Please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2012, 09:17 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Chet and Silverfall answered the OP's question best. Interview 3 agents; and, "not the end of the world" if you list with a friend, but depends on the background of the friend. Still, my own opinion is that in general, folks are much better off getting a few referrals from area with statistics that back up the agent's success rate.

All real estate is "local", and the Realtor primarily should have a track record with buyers and sellers within a reasonable radius of the sellers' property with sales comps. Most friends and relatives find it difficult to avoid insulting a seller who may already have preconceived opinions from hearsay and not facts, about what the listing price should be; and conversely, they may not know at all what the home is worth.

Most of the agents I know and many on this forum, I believe would suggest a minimum of 6 months listing period. Depending on "average" days on market (this is not your average economy for sales) the pros here take the listing for one year, with a guaranteed withdrawal clause if the client is not happy within a reasonable period. Or, they have a clause in the listing contract to lower the price by $x every 30 days or so if the seller is stubborn on list price.

It takes a few weeks lead time to get activity on a new listing... but pricing it right up front is so important because your best buyers look at the new listings. They've exhausted all the others and their agents are on the lookout for what suits their buyers' needs.

There are so many variables. You also get the buyers who look at new listings and say "well, we would rather wait for the price to go down" before we make an offer.

Sometimes the agents just can't win for trying.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:16 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
OP... also having "The Most" listings is not a sign of how good of an agent they are. Don't judge quality by someone who works purely on high volume or buys the listings.

Old 12-04-2012, 11:50 AM

2,888 posts, read 6,535,438 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Pretend you are a buyer?

Then you decide you want to list with her, and what do you ... (a) fess up and tell her you lied, and you are "really" a seller? (b) pick someone else because you cannot reveal your true identity? (b) how embarrassed will you be when your house comes on the market with (b)?

MrRational was basically saying that the OP should do research on how the agent presents homes for sale. As in "put yourself in the buyer's shoes" and see how well the agent shows her client's homes.

He wasn't recommending a bait and switch. He was only recommending that the OP do the same homework you should do when you hire any agent.

Old 12-04-2012, 06:13 PM

104 posts, read 290,349 times
i would think the most listings is not neccesarily a good thing, but the most sold is! I agree with qchick about doing business with friends and family but, i am not looking for anything but to sell my home. in fact i'm afraid if i do list with someone else it is she who would come to me and ask me why didn't i list with her? again if all listings are visible to any agent, surely she would come across mine as well as any other agent with a buyer looking to purchase in my town. as long as my listing is online it will attract people looking in my town with or without an agent.
am i correct in my thinking?

Old 12-04-2012, 06:27 PM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luluwas View Post
i would think the most listings is not neccesarily a good thing, but the most sold is! I agree with qchick about doing business with friends and family but, i am not looking for anything but to sell my home. in fact i'm afraid if i do list with someone else it is she who would come to me and ask me why didn't i list with her? again if all listings are visible to any agent, surely she would come across mine as well as any other agent with a buyer looking to purchase in my town. as long as my listing is online it will attract people looking in my town with or without an agent.

She will know quickly. If she doesn't, she is too out of touch to list your house anyway.
Tell her to bring you a solid buyer and get paid.

"I'm sorry, Shirley, but I value our friendship too much to bring the stresses of business into it. I hope you can agree."

Old 12-04-2012, 07:55 PM

15,572 posts, read 40,409,288 times
Quote:
. as long as my listing is online it will attract people looking in my town with or without an agent.
See this is the key. Attracting people. Your listing has to look good online. Some agents do a good job with it, some don't. Interview agents and find out which one does the best job marketing the home. It may be your friend and it may not be.

You are doing yourself and your friendship a disservice by not interviewing other agents. You aren't selling a toaster on Craigslist. You are doing yourself a disservice by not treating it like the large financial transaction that it is. You are doing your friend a disservice because if she ends up being bad you will have to let your listing expire and essentially you are telling her she stinks. It is better to let her show you how good she is upfront than to fail you on the back end (if that happens). You can search on here about the many consumers that hired their friends to sell their homes.

Old 12-04-2012, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverfall View Post
See this is the key. Attracting people. Your listing has to look good online. Some agents do a good job with it, some don't. Interview agents and find out which one does the best job marketing the home. It may be your friend and it may not be.

You are doing yourself and your friendship a disservice by not interviewing other agents. You aren't selling a toaster on Craigslist. You are doing yourself a disservice by not treating it like the large financial transaction that it is. You are doing your friend a disservice because if she ends up being bad you will have to let your listing expire and essentially you are telling her she stinks. It is better to let her show you how good she is upfront than to fail you on the back end (if that happens). You can search on here about the many consumers that hired their friends to sell their homes.

Yep.
Tomorrow I am going to approach a homeowner whose listing expired. After nearly 6 months, it languished on the MLS with photos that look like they were taken with a not-very-smart-phone.
I'm quite familiar with the builder/floor plan/model, the neighborhood, the location, and actually don't think the price was too terribly high.
I want to see the house up close, and see if I think this is one of those examples of poor photos hurting the seller.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:20 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,530,348 times
Quote:

Yes, you are correct. Most listing agents don't end up selling their own listings. It's been proven that 85% of properties are sold through MLS "co-brokes". It's possible also that you friend may not want the "pressure" of having a friend's house on the market. Chances are she won't have "the buyer", and if she is a true professional, it will roll off her back and you all will remain friends.

Old 12-05-2012, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by QuilterChick View Post
Yes, you are correct. Most listing agents don't end up selling their own listings. It's been proven that 85% of properties are sold through MLS "co-brokes". It's possible also that you friend may not want the "pressure" of having a friend's house on the market. Chances are she won't have "the buyer", and if she is a true professional, it will roll off her back and you all will remain friends.
Absolutely right.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate