Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2012, 12:56 PM

15,569 posts, read 40,404,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post

When you make the offer, always videotape the house "as is" so that you have a comparative record. I am amazed that most Realtors never bother to advise their clients to do this. Then, as you attend all the inspections (a fool if you don't) videotape all areas of concern as well as the overall condition. Then when each repair is done, you videotape again. Of course you can still picture it instead but these days, HD video is the way to go, you can extract still pictures from it later.
They don't because it is a lighting issue. Most people don't have decent video equipment and phones don't take good interior video. Blown out windows and such on dark video isn't particularly helpful in court. Many agents take lots of pictures of their listings as well so you have that as photo evidence. So between listing photos and home inspector photos (my inspector says he averages 150 per report), I don't see a huge need to recommend it. I have no issue when buyers ask to take photos and I have had a few that have.

Quote:

With this comparative record, than as you put forth, there is a lot of value to having that contractor there. A licensed contractor can speak to standard of repair, adequate repair and the over all quality of the repair. Home inspectors often gloss over the repair or fail to detect inadequate repairs and that is a fact. A licensed contractor, if they are good, will compare the repair quality and standard to their best and this is important. While you can't usually insist on the highest quality repair standard, you can and have a right to demand an adequate repair.
Hmm...what are the licensing requirements in your state. In Oregon home inspectors are licensed general contractors. Have to be a GC in order to inspect more than one system.

Quote:
final thing, don't pay attention to a "walk though" is only a walk through and nothing more. On the contrary, a walk through should be detailed, paying close attention to everything. This is your purchase, not the agent's. If they are rushing you. politely ask them to refrain from bothering you. You are about to spend maybe hundreds of thousands of dollars and the idea of some agent or Realtor telling you the buyer, that this is only a walk through is insulting and shows if nothing else, that your best interests aren't served by them, but by yourself. This is not the time to rush through and conduct only a "walk through". My walk throughs take as long as I need to satisfy myself that things are as they should be and represent the value I am about to purchase. How can anything rushed be in your best interest?
I agree that no buyer should feel rushed, but out here it isn't the time for repair inspection. We do that before so that the seller has time to correct it, which happens often. Part of the issue might be when the final walkthrough occurs. We do them after docs are at escrow and either right before the buyer signs or right after, but funds haven't been released. That way we can hold the funds if there is a problem. Out here we sign docs and close and record the next day which is when possession of the home typically occurs. I can't imagine doing a walkthrough at that point as the time to inspect repairs. That would be a total mess for everyone as many buyers have given notice to vacate rentals and such. Why would anyone want to stress themselves out about repair work at that point in time? I don't get using the walkthrough for that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-10-2012, 08:08 AM

624 posts, read 1,246,851 times
Get a home warrenty. You are buying a used house. Things are not going to be brand new. What are your expectations?

Old 12-10-2012, 08:26 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,528,410 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbill View Post
Get a home warrenty. You are buying a used house. Things are not going to be brand new. What are your expectations?
A home warranty is good in most instances; but they do not cover everythiing that may come up. There are also several different home warranty companies and each has its own menu of what is covered and what their deductibles are. I had the seller agree to one of the top warranties, but it won't cover what the deceptive seller covered up an approx. $3,000 carpeting item during the final walk thru. The expectation is that the seller abides by the contract and the law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate