Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2012, 09:43 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times

Advertisements

You have to keep in mind that a $50,000 car does not cost $50,000. It costs about $33,000. Now $33,000 is not cheap, but it's not outrageous either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 AM

45,323 posts, read 60,500,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
You have to keep in mind that a $50,000 car does not cost $50,000. It costs about $33,000. Now $33,000 is not cheap, but it's not outrageous either.

I'm taking you with me to buy my next truck. I should be able to get it for a couple of bucks with your deductions.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:26 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,632,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cokeman View Post
interesting article: Real Estate Agents and Their Cars | Zillow Blog

Every time i see a realtor i see they drive a mercedes, now why would they buy a 50,000 car do they think the person interested in the house really cares?
Well first off let me say that I drove Dodge Dakota 4 door pick up when I was a Realtor but first impressions are key in many situations and a seller that sees a listing agent drive up in a beat up corolla as opposed to a nice new bmw is going to get the impression that the agent driving the bmw is successful and will get their home sold while they may come to the conclusion that the corolla driver can not get the job done.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:44 AM
jw2

2,028 posts, read 3,264,955 times
My 2₵

I buy a lot of real estate. These days, I do most of my shopping online so I don't do much canvassing with REALTORs. However, I will give my view...

Years ago, the standard around here (southern and central California) was higher-end European sedans. They were comfortable and were trying to convey a sense of success in real estate. You're selling a lifestyle as well as a house.

These days, things are a little different. I think buyers would feel funny if the person they are putting so much trust in shows up in a beat up Dodge Dart but I don't think it needs to be a high end Mercedes either. People, even successful people, are buying smarter, more praticical cars.

Many people will feel slighted if you are chauffeuring them in a foreign car. I don't know what percentage that is but I do know that no one will feel slighted if you are driving an American car. (Toyota/Lexus are foreign cars despite where they are made).

Gas hogs are a big no-no. A hybrid is a big plus. For obvious environmental reasons.

Cars that are hard to get into are a big negative also. Whether that means a high step SUV or an ultra low car like an MG (MG is not practical but that is the only low care that came to mind at the moment)

Bumper stickers indicating a religious or political preference will certainly offend a certain segment.

A messy car will turn off most buyers. Nobody wants to get in a car where your darling child has left their homework scattered about. Keep the exterior clean as well.

Hands free phone is must. If you can't drive while being distracted by a phone, pull over when making calls. The last thing you want is for your client to want to end the tour out of fear.

etc...

Old 12-19-2012, 07:13 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,124,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I'm taking you with me to buy my next truck. I should be able to get it for a couple of bucks with your deductions.
I just knocked off the 34% that we'd have taxpayers pay for.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:16 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
No Mercedes in our company parking lot.

Mostly work vehicles like Honda Pilots, Chevy's and nice utility cars that can haul buyers and RE Signs.

I guess if you cater to the Hollywood or High End Crowd you'd need the appropriate car.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:55 AM

2,957 posts, read 5,900,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I just knocked off the 34% that we'd have taxpayers pay for.
Do you mean because cars are a business expense?

Old 12-19-2012, 08:11 AM

2,091 posts, read 7,514,109 times
I interviewed a broker in Jupiter FL prior to getting my RE license, she held a little seminar for potential new agents. We were actually told that if we wanted to work out of that office that we had to have a more luxury vehicle, for the image ya know of success in selling all those million dollar properties. I believe around those parts the agents are more likely to be driving the buyers around.

I am not interested in being fake. People will just have to accept my 2003 toyota van, until I can afford a car payment on something more fuel efficient. Also in the area where I will be doing the majority of my showing, its more accepted and expected that a potential buyer just meet you at the house for sale. A lot of agents will not trundle buyers around because of higher insurance costs for liability in case of an accident.

I typically see agents in Civics and small toyotas. This area has quite few dirt roads so small SUV's are also popular. I think the notion is more that restraint in autos is approved as it shows you're not just in it for the big commission checks to buy all the toys with the customers money.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:21 AM

40,952 posts, read 49,155,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wireyourworld View Post
I interviewed a broker in Jupiter FL prior to getting my RE license, she held a little seminar for potential new agents. We were actually told that if we wanted to work out of that office that we had to have a more luxury vehicle, for the image ya know of success in selling all those million dollar properties. I believe around those parts the agents are more likely to be driving the buyers around.
What she wanted is understandable in a high end Luxury market. The CEO buying a 2-3 Million dollar home will not think much of the skills of an agent if they are driving a 2003 Toy Van.

In many cases, Perception is Reality. I don't sell much Luxury but do work with many Executives. I need a fairly new and nice / decent vehicle.

Old 12-19-2012, 08:27 AM

161 posts, read 634,018 times
i wonder what real estates do all day when they aren't doing open houses i bet they have another job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate