Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-16-2007, 11:31 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times

Advertisements

Introducing, the Dubai Bubble:

CBS News Video - Top Stories and Video News Clips at CBSNews.com (http://www.cbsnews.com/sections/i_video/main500251.shtml?id=3366044n - broken link)

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2007, 12:13 PM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Default A short term investor.

Can you say irrational exuberance.

If my history is right wasn't Lebanon the Paris of the middle east at one time. Now it a war torn mess. I mention this history because Dubai is so close to Iran and Iraq a all there problems. Plus who is to say if some other middle eastern country won't get jealous of Dubai and start making trouble for the country. Sorry. But if I was to put my money in for the long run I wouldn't be in Dubai. The whole middle east in my mind is still too unstable to trust for the long term investments. But if your a short term investor.........maybe.

Also let see if we see alot of new investment into Dubai from the Chinese and all there new found wealth. Thing should get intersting if they do start investing there. I'd like to see there ROI in 10-15 years if they do.

Old 10-16-2007, 12:28 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Can you say irrational exuberance.

If my history is right wasn't Lebanon the Paris of the middle east at one time. Now it a war torn mess. I mention this history because Dubai is so close to Iran and Iraq a all there problems. Plus who is to say if some other middle eastern country won't get jealous of Dubai and start making trouble for the country. Sorry. But if I was to put my money in for the long run I wouldn't be in Dubai. The whole middle east in my mind is still too unstable to trust for the long term investments. But if your a short term investor.........maybe.

Also let see if we see alot of new investment into Dubai from the Chinese and all there new found wealth. Thing should get intersting if they do start investing there. I'd like to see there ROI in 10-15 years if they do.
Did you watch the part where the Palm islands sold out 25,000 homes in a matter of day (or hours, can't remember now). They were then walking through the neighborhoods a month after Grand Opening and it looked like a ghost town. Hmmm, sounds like Miami.

The funny thing is is that the average UAE resident can't afford anything in the new "Dubai", and like you said baystater, that economic disparity leads to societal problems and strife.

It's also interesting that the Sheikh layed out his whole vision in January 2000, 9 months prior to 9/11, as if he knew there'd be an opportunity to vault Dubai into a "New York" alternative.

But that's another topic unto itself....

Old 10-16-2007, 02:10 PM

2,210 posts, read 7,024,355 times
I think you should change the title to: "We aint seen nothin' YET!"

RE Beirut: Still actually pretty nice if a little bullety at times. They still have nightclubs, restaurants, high end stores and cafe culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Real Estate